1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Another Lakshmi, Another Pathetic Story. I Can’t Judge, Can You?

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Aug 10, 2005.

1. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

What else is there?

Hi varalotti,

What else can we see in the situation?

Whether the unfaithful is Rajan or Lakshmi, their faith ended when one or both of these factors ended - Sex and Money. Where is the so very hyped factor of a marriage - Love? Or was it never there? If it were to be present, the faithfulness would never have ended.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

There is quite a lot, Prathi!

If Lakhsmi turns the other way on her husband's affair because he gets money on the side and does not trouble her for sex, then tell me what is there between Lakshmi and Rajan to continue as husband and wife? Agreed, the children are there. And Lakshmi or Rajan or both should take their welfare into account. But my poser is should they continue with the sham of their marriage any further? Situations like this can happen only in India. It's only here that the couple would decide that their marriage is over for all practical purposes and continue with the sham of their marriage only for the sake of their children.
    My friend told me that the divorce rates in India is the lowest in the world. Agreed. But there are more divorceable marriages in India than there are divorced marriages in the US. Here the marriage is dead long back; only the funeral is deferred. Marriage is kept 'in state' in the same manner as the dead bodies of VIPs are kept for homage.
    Even now I am not judging Lakshmi or for that matter Rajan. I do not have the heart to condemn either of them. I am totally concerned with the marriage being turned into a total farce.
    Isn't that serious?
    varalotti

3. ambika ananth

ambika ananth Bronze IL'ite

marriages are not dead..!!

Sridhar,

Your earlier responses revolving round 'meat, gravy and salad ' didn't really provoke me to think seriously because it sounded more like frivolous exchange of banter between you and Sharada, but these words of yours that

"there are more divorceable marriages in India than there are divorced marriages in the US. Here the marriage is dead long back; only the funeral is deferred. Marriage is kept 'in state' in the same manner as the dead bodies of VIPs are kept for homage." provoked me to enter the discussion ( I am definitely not talking one word about Lakshmi's problem, not for any other reason than that I didn't have anything to say about her problem since the very beginning, but was enjoying the responses of others, more particularly of concorde, but now I strictly will give my opinion about what you said regarding marriages )

One philosopher said" Marriage is a high sea for which no compass has yet been invented" yes, it is really tough to manage a marriage when it is going in a directionless way, but why carry on like that, when Law provides a way out...? Who will decide whether it is a 'divorceable marriage 'or not..it is ultimately the decision of the couple. Once divorced , they may get into wedlock with a more compatible person....then how can you say, " marriage is dead long back"....
    There are ideal marriages where " the wife will make the husband feel glad to come home and the husband makes her feel sorry when she sees him go for his work"- they are connected always ...they want each others' presence around...
    We can never conclude that since " love is blind and marriage is an institution, it is an institution for the blind'.
    In US or in India, there are successful marriages and divorcable marriages..but definitely marriages are not dead ..
    If you are talking about hypocricy in marriage, it is purely individual lookout and depends on many factors, cannot definitely be the failure of marriage as an institution.

One more thing Sridhar, post new snippets on various other social problems...Leave this " Lakshmi" alone for sometime. that name itself is causing panic with her unending problems...we need a refreshing break. Give real problems of men, not necessarily as husbands or lovers, but as human beings, introduce one ' Vishnu'...

ambika

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  4. varalotti

A Snippet For A Snippet

Ambika, true to the Babylonian law of 'an eye for an eye' and 'a tooth for a tooth' you have given 'a snippet for a snippet.' Your comments and quotes are very insightful and made a very interesting reading. For a while it diverted me from Lakshmi.
    My central point contained in the lines that provoked you is this - there are good marriages and bad marriages in India, the US like any where in the world. But it's only in India that we cling to the form of marriage long after the substance is dead. Is it not hypocrisy?
    In you DH middle you gave a very sensible advice to your maid's daughter. No it was not just a sensible advice but also a clear moral support before taking the decision of her life. But in the case of Lakshmi's there are conventional people around who advise her or him to hold on whatever may be the state of marriage. When I said those provocative words I only meant that.
    Whatever it may be, Madam, I am very happy that it has provoked a brilliant passage from the poetess.
    good job.
    I would like to take Lakshmi as the focal point to discuss some crucial problems concerning women. In fact I had a totally different one in mind for this snippet, which actually concerns more with Vishnu than with Lakshmi. But before I could post that my friend told me about this real-life problem so I posted that to elicit the opinion of women the world over.
    regards,
    sridhar

5. Pritha

Pritha New IL'ite

Sad situation

Meez new here.. so hi everyone.. very interesting situation there.. u know it is easy to say what should be done, and what could be done, coz none of us are hopefully walking in Lakshmi's shoes..Ideally, she "should" walk away.. but the questions is can she.. and since she cannot, as harsh and horrible as this sounds.. she has done the right thing..

6. varalotti

Welcome Pritha!

Your empathy for Lakshmi shows in your reply. For Lakshmi it's a double-bind situation, a situation which can aptly be described as damned if you do and damned if you dont. Lakshmi agreeing to condone her husband's affair might have been the practical solution. But that solution kills what little remains of their marriage. If two people who hate each other, if two people between whom there is no relationship whatsoever agree to cohabit under the same roof for economic reasons, then could there be a greater hell than their lives? We normally place an undue importance on security - sustenance of the comfort level we are used to all our lives. Well the secret of life is if we are ready to risk that we shall reach new levels and above all, we will start living, for a change.
    Welcome to Indusladies, Pritha. My daughter's name is Preethi. So the moment I saw your name I drafted this reply. all the best.
    sridahr

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,

Brilliant once again.Hats off.

Well a very practical decision taken by Laxmi, lucky husband.HAHA.Regards.kamal

8. varalotti

Dear Kamal,
    thanks a lot.
    Women always have an eye for reality and most decisions taken by them are highly practical. Had she fought with her husband her children would have suffered. And had she agreed to have sexual relationship with him, that would have been a disaster to both.
    thanks once again, Kamal.
    love,

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,

Am I digging out old graves ? you sure have gold in the graves I must say.And thanks to Chitvish for making a list.

I thought u had just onme page, but today was surprised with the big list, and I am loving every bit of it, and seeing so many real life situations here .

You are every bit an accountant, not only with money but keeping a sharp eye on the goings around u.

It would be lovely to sit with u, sharing a drink, coffee if it is daytime, and night u have coffee and I have my poison, as they say.HAHA.

But that would be lovely the day we meet, at least for me, I cant say the same about u thought. I am a pucca Khuswant Singh Jr minus his talent but with all his vices.Regards.kamal

10. varalotti

Dear Kamal,
    You are digging out old graves, but are kindling fond memories of mine. And at this point I should also thank Chithra for the indexing work. That's why I have named my index as CVs index and carry it in my signature.

As Paulo Coelho would love to say, "The Devil is in the detail". Not being able to keep my eyes off the details is an occupational hazard for me.

Now let's talk about our meeting. Though I don't drink I love to see people drinking. A few years back I had a friend and a client was several years older than me. Whenever he wanted to drink he would come to my place, pick me and we'll go to our club.
    He told me that I was the first teetotaler who was a good drinks-buddy. Hearing about you I had decided to meet you sometime in the evening with drinks by your side and our chatting about all the good times.
    Looking forward to that day, my friend.
    love,