1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anger Management

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Geetanjalikumar, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Geetanjalikumar

Geetanjalikumar Gold IL'ite

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Anger is not bad as long as it’s controlled. Keeping your temper in check can be challenging.
    Anger is something my husband does not like in me. Yesterday we had a huge argument. Me and my husband live in different cities. He is planning on moving to where I live. Each time I bring up the topic of moving, he gives me excuse about some reason. I wait until he takes care of it and then I bring up the topic again, but I hear a different reason. I feel he is not making it the highest priority in his list and that makes me feel not loved, unwanted, neglected, lots of insecurities, frustration. His actions make me feel that he does not long to be with me. Yesterday, he told me that he is delaying to move to my place as he is afraid of my anger, that I shout when I am angry and that I throw things on the floor (I just did it once, that too when he packed his bag and wanted to leave:hide:). I felt that he does not want to move as moving involves hassles of preparing resume, floating it, preparing for interviews etc etc. Since he is quite comfortable now he does not want to make any extra effort to move. He says he wants to move but does not put in any effort. I need to push him to work on resume, talk to people and apply for jobs.
    Yesterday when I heard him, I felt he is blaming me to cover up his actual reason. I was the one talking mostly; he was listening, as always. At one point, when I pushed him to give me a hard date, he told me that he will try for couple of months. If he gets the job, he moves otherwise we continue with the current setup. I was deeply hurt. I lost my temper and started shouting at him. I threw things on the floor.
    But, I rarely get angry like yesterday. Mostly, when he talks about living separately or when his actions cause a fear in me that he will leave me.
    I am practicing meditation. It’s just that sometimes, I feel very lonely, scared and so frustrated that I loose my temper.
    I have a heavy heart and just wanted to vent out. Thank You for listening.

GA

2. Superwoman

Superwoman Gold IL'ite

how about you shifting to his place?

3. Geetanjalikumar

We have discussed about it and decided that he moves to the place I live as it has more job opportunities. Otherwise I have no issues to move to his place.
    He tells me that he does not have any problem moving, but does not like my anger and that is the reason for not moving. I told him not to utter words like he will stay away from me or leave me which will trigger my anger. He has the art of saying hurtful things calmly, how much ever angry he is. But on the other hand I handle my anger differently. He tells me that I am behaving abnormal.
    He tells me that he likes 95% of me. I am trying to control my anger. But I do not feel that he is being honest and is trying to blame me for not able to move.

4. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Even though there are advantages in your current place, by you making an effort to move to his place - you will show two things:
    1. Initiative and commitment from your end
    2. It also allows you to be in control, since you can search for a job etc and it is in your control moving to his city.
    (as long as the city he is in has some amount of opportunities at least, even if less than your current place)

I feel it is a big drain asking a reluctant person to move, move, move. Only our energy will get wasted.

3 people like this.
  5. Geetanjalikumar

Thanks Ragini. Yes, I did consider what you suggested. I am giving it couple of months, before I let him know my decision. I do not mind to give up my career too.

My anger yesterday was out of frustration.

I guess main problem here is, my anger issues. I do it mostly with him. I am not an angry person. I do not loose my temper with anybody. My husband feels I am very abnormal person.

6. falgunid18

falgunid18 Platinum IL'ite

Sometimes we just show anger to the person whom we love the most expecting them to understand us, reason of our anger, pamper us and calm us down. But when this doesnt happen our actions get a chance to speak louder than our words.

Women want all the caring and mushy mushy stuff when they ar upset, if not got , then we get angry and start yelling. Men usually dont understand all this and The moment we get angry, they just want to run away as they dont want to get into any arguments with us. They think it is a waste of time for them and could be rather utilising that time watching TV instead.

So try to control your anger sweety. I know his words hurt you a lot. but just hang up the phone whenever he says this. Relax, breath, calm your mind down and then call him back and talk to him nicely not reminding him of his words. Show him this side of yours, let him be assured that you are not same anymore and trying hard to be at your best and like he loves.

I agree iwth you that your DH finding a job at your location (due to opportunities) is a better idea. I would always suggest you to push him to your area rather than you shifting. Coz when you think of long term , it is always good to be in areas where there are lot of opportunites. You both can stay toegther always in the same city just changing jobs (very imp for H1 people). -- This is more practical and JMO.

But if you cannot wait that long, then yes shifting to his place will be the best. But pls dunt think of leaving your career. Down the road somehwere or the other, you might need it (God forbid that happens).

Stay calm. watch some cartoons and keep up with meditation.

1 person likes this.
  7. Geetanjalikumar

Thanks falgunid, I guess, you are understanding what I am going through. He tells me that he likes 95% of me, the 5% he does not like in me is my anger. I do want to change it, but few words from him really turn me off.

The place I live in is good in long term, both personally and career wise. We spoke about the pros and cons of both our places and made a decision that he will move here. I guess, I wanted him the take the initiative instead of me pushing him to look for a job. When he is not actively doing it, I am getting frustrated.

He is a very nice person, an introvert. All the people close to me so far are very expressive. I guess, that might also be a reason for my frustration.

Thanks for listening and your suggestions. I hope I learn to control my self.

1 person likes this.
  8. Flyingsparks

Flyingsparks Silver IL'ite

Well gitanjali ragini has given a good advice...
    About anger management..i know i am the wrong person to talk about it...i controlled my anger on dh & mil many times..for once did i show it..it was a storm and totally ruined my marriage..(if u r patient enough read my story)..i can totally understand your situation..i went and still going thru it..the anger and also it's ill effects..
    So please please be patient..my dh is similar like yours..says hurtful words calmly and forgets.later when i ask he ignores and just says don't dig past issues..that's it..i never get an answer for many of his such hurtful words and actions...all the resentment builds up in my system..
    It's v easy for them to provoke us and we fall in the trap..it becomes easy for them to blame us and give guilt trips...in your case he is putting the blame of not moving on your anger because u agree for it,you show it in actions,u feel guilty..but that is not the actual reason...so be smart....
    The best way is to ignore their words...it is difficult..i know..but we have to..
    Then meditation,yoga stuff like these..they are a bit tough to start with..i am still in the beginner phase...
    Diverting mind to other things like hobbies etc..

My suggestion would be to either follow ragini's advice..or be yourself..just ignore dh for a while..don't nag,fight with him..just leave him..be happy by urself..atleast show him that you are happy with urself and ur life..take a hobby,make new friends..roam around..live life....not everybody will get a chance to be single after marriage and it won't last for long once u plan for a family..there are many girls like me out here to live a life like that atleast for a while..so grab it and have fun..
    Meanwhile u keep trying for jobs at his location but never let him know or ask him to move to ur place..just leave him..
    At one point he will realise that u are ignoring him,that u have changed and he may come to you..be patient..
    The more we try to hold on to some thing,the more it tries to elude from us..so just leave it free..it will come back..

Sometimes we get angry on people when we feel that they are not under our control..trust me it is true..if we deeply analyse our actions,words,behaviour..we'll know..just acknowledge that fact..
    Try to get over it....

Sometimes if we are angry on ourselves,if we are disappointed with ourselves..we get annoyed very soon....give it a thought..

If you want to convey anything to dh especially when you are angry or in bad mood..just write an email..send a message..that's it..

Still u need to show anger..come to IL..vent out....

All the best..in ur journey towards anger management..

2 people like this.
  9. falgunid18

falgunid18 Platinum IL'ite

May be he is getting all the comfort in his current job and work environment. May be he feels lazy or find it difficult to go through all the job applying, interview etc etc phase.

I am sure you must have prepared his resume. Can you send his resumes to all vendors and apply jobs through his mail id by letting him know. If you have his resume, you can apply through dice also and let him know where you have applied. Once he gets vendor calls, he cannot have negative impresison on them and will respond to them nicely and can take it further (hopefully).

10. Geetanjalikumar

Thanks Flyingsparks. Yes, I have read your thread. I pray and wish you a good life.

I get angry at him because, he does not take me seriously. My intention is not to control him but I might be doing it, I am not sure. I just don't know. Thank you though, for bringing it up. I will give it a thought.

Thank You for offering an ear to listen to my venting. I truly appreciate it.

Thank You for your wishes and I wish you the same too.