Andhra dishes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by roja, Apr 1, 2005.

1. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Madhu,

Sorry for delayed response..i saw ur posting today.I have posted,my recipes for okra in www.pachakam.com.The names of my recipes there are :

I have posted 3 recipes for Okra in pachakam.com website.okra-prawns masala,Crisy bhindi fry,Bhindi-carrot with cashew nuts and peanuts .U can view the following links for the above recipes :

Okra-Prawns Masala Recipe Indian Kerala Kannada Karnataka Recipes, tamil, andhra, hyderabad recipe India south indian recipes
    Crispy Bhindi Fry Recipe Indian Kerala Kannada Karnataka Recipes, tamil, andhra, hyderabad recipe India south indian recipes
    Bhindi-Carrot Fry Recipe Indian Kerala Kannada Karnataka Recipes, tamil, andhra, hyderabad recipe India south indian recipes

Here goes some more recipes with Bhindi :
    --
    ---------------------------------
    1).
    Bhindi-capsicum masala
    Ingredients:
    ------------
    Bhindi -20 or 30 nos
    capsicum-1(chopped in circular discs and deseeded)
    onions- 1 big(chopped into circular discs)
    oil+ghee together-2tbspoons
    ginger-garlic paste-1/2tsp
    oil to deep fry the bhindis(optional)
    salt,turmeric-as required.
    water-1/4cup to 1/2cup
    MDH channa masala powder-1.5tsp
    cilantro leaves

procedure
    -------
    1).wash bhindi,pat dry them,cut into circular discs and deep fry them.Alternately bake them to crisp or fry in little oil until cooked well.

2).Now take some ghee+oil in a pressure pan,fry the onion rings,then add the capsicum rings and saute for 5minutes.now add ginger garlic paste and sautee for 1minute.Now add the deep fried bhindi,turmeric,salt,and saute for 2-3 minutes.Add channa masala powder,stir well,add 1/4 cup water and put the lid and whistle and pressure cook for 1whistle.Once the steam releases,open the lid and garnish with cilantro ..check for salt and spicyness and adjust accordingly.
    serve with rice or chapathi/naan

2).bhindi-tomato curry
    -----------------
    bhindi-20 nos
    tomato-1
    onion-1small onion
    turmeric.-1 pinch
    salt-1/tsp or more,chilli powder,gharam masala powder,dhania powder-1/2tsp each
    besan flour,rice flour-1.5tsp each.
    cilantro -to garnish
    oil-1.5tbsp
    wash ,pat dry and cut bhindi into small pieces.Mix besan flour,rice flour,turmeric,dhania powder,gharam masala powder(optional),chilli powder,salt in a bowl and add to cut bhindi and toss well and keep aside.Now chop onions and tomatoes.Heat a pressure pan with oil and season with cumin seeds,curry leaves and mustard seeds and add onions and fry until golden brown.Now add ginger-garlic paste,saute well and add bhindi and cover cook for 5minutes.Open the lid and add chopped tomatoes,saute for 5more minutes.Add water and cover the lid and pressure cook for 1-2whistles.Ganrish with cilantro leaves.

BHINDI IN TAMARIND SAUCE(bendakaya pulusu)
    --------------------------------------
    Methi powder-1/8th tsp
    bhindi-20 nos(cleaned and cut into 1inch pieces)
    salt-1tsp
    tamarind-about twenty 1inch pieces.soak them and extract the tamarind pulp
    onions-1small
    curry leaves
    mustard-1/4tsp
    cumin-a pinch
    coriander powder-1tsp
    green chillies-2
    oil-2tbsp
    chilli powder-1/2tsp or more
    ginger-garlic-cilantro paste-1tsp
    garlic+cumin paste-2cloves+1/2tsp cumin pound to paste(to be added at the end of the recipe)

procedure:
    --------
    Heat oil in a pan,season with methi powder,curry leaves,mustard seeds,cumin seeds.Now add the chopped onions,green chillies and saute until golden brown.Now add ginger-garlic-cilantro paste and sautee for 2minutes.Finally add chopped bhindi,turmeric,salt,chilli powder,coriander powder,and saute for 5minutes on medium high flame.Now add the tamarind extract,stir well,bring it to a boil on high flame and then cover and reduce the flame and cook until the oil seperates.Now at this stage add garli-cumin paste,stir well and cook for 3-4minutes.Now switch off the stove,garnish with cilantro and leave it covered.u can serve it with rice or roti.but this curry tastes best when served after 3-4hours.

-Hope u like these,
    I have some more for bhendi recipes..Try them and let me know if u get time..I can post some more for u later.

-Cheers,
    -vaishu

2. crownlak

crownlak New IL'ite

hi,
    Can anybody post the recipes of different kinds of rasams like tomato rasam, pepper rasam, regular rasam.

thanks

3. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

hi

Can someone post a good recipe for a bottle gaurd curry.

Thank u.

madhu

1 person likes this.
  4. mrudula

mrudula Senior IL'ite

minumala pachadi

hi,
    i am trying to make minumala (urad dal) pachadi, which is a triditional andhra sytle pachadi. but whenever i make it, i find the pachadi very coarse. my mom used to make it very smooth. how to make the urad dal smooth. can u give me the recipe for minumala pachadi

mula

5. Prema

Prema New IL'ite

Kanda Bachali Koora

Hi All.....

Kanda Bachali Koora...... this is one of the very oldest and very traditional Andhra Recipe. This curry is also considered vey auspicious even today in many traditional andhra families. We make this koora (curry) when ever we have an auspicious ocassions like weddings, upanayanam, child birth / naming cermony's etc..... That is compulsory.
    Bachali Koora , this is a variety of green leaf vegetable. I dont know the english or hindi translation of thsi leafy vegetable.This grows like a creeper, with slightly thick leaves., and you feel sticky or slippery once you cut the leaves. I will try to get Hindi name for this so that it will be more convenient explaining.

Ingredients

Kanda /Yam : 200 gms
    Bachali koora : 2 Bundles

To make Paste
    Mustard seeds : 2 Tsp
    Fresh grated coconut :1 Tsp
    Rice : 1 Tsp
    Green Chillies: 2-3 depending on the spice level
    Hing : 1/4 Tsp
    Haldi : 1/2 Tsp
    Tamarind : half of a lemon size
    Jaggery : 1 Tsp
    Salt : As per taste

Seasoning

Oil : 1 tbsp
    Chana Dal: 1Tsp
    Urad Dal : 1Tsp
    Jeera: 1/2 Tsp
    dry Red Chillies : 2
    Curry leaves : 10-15

Method:
    Peel and Cut yam into small pieces and put in a pan to boil while adding little salt when the yam pieces are about to become soft, add the cut bachali koora. Cook til both are soft enough. Meanwhile, gring all the ingredients for making paste to a smooth paste and add to the boiling yam and green vegetable. Using a potato smasher, smash the cooking vegetables ( need not smash too soft but just enough so that the cury is semi soft) Add water if necessary.
    Put off the flame.

In a seperate Pan Heat oil and add the ingredients for seasoning one b one and, Add to the curry.

This curry is to be eaten along with rice. With the flavours of mustard, tamarind, Jaggery, and Hing.....It tastes great!!

Please takecare while adding salt. You will have to add salt to the curry while boiling and also to the mustard paste. And also takecare while cuting Yam, it gives itchy sensation while cuting. So better oil hands and then cut this vegetable.

Happy Cooking!!!
    Prema

1 person likes this.
  6. Shardu

Shardu New IL'ite

Hi Roja,
    the place where i live, fresh green chillies means... scotch bonnet peppers. they are very very very spicy hot and also have a different smell. i like the normal indian green chillies. scotch bonnet peppers are used in the seasoning made for jerk chicken etc.
    have u tried scotch bonnet peppers? do u have any recipes for chillies like that?
    rgds
    shardu

7. cutie1975

cutie1975 New IL'ite

Andhra recipe

Menthi Pappu.
    ------------

As the name indicates it is not made of methi leaves,the name is due to the ingredient menthulu telugu word for fenugreek seeds.It is a recipe from south Andhra.

ingredients.
    ----------

kandi pappu(toor dal)-1 cup
    menthulu(fenugreek seeds)-15-20 seeds
    jeera(cumin)-1 tsp
    black pepper-25-30 in number
    dhania(coriander seeds)-1 tsp
    onions-2 medium
    tomato-2 medium
    tamarind-1/2 lime size
    Dried red chillies-6-8 in number
    coriander leaves for garnish.
    Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
    salt
    oil
    water

Process of cooking
    ---------------

Soak dal in water for 10 minutes.
    Heat oil in a cooker(i usually do it in a cooker because we pressure cook it later).
    Add jeera,menthulu,dhania,black pepper till they splutter.
    Add onion fry for 3-4 minutes.Then add the dal without water fry for some time.
    Add dried red chillies,tamarind,tomato and fry for some time.
    Then add turmeric,sufficient water and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
    Mash the dal after the pressure is gone,add salt according to taste.Add some water if the dal is too thick,usually it is served with medium thick consistency.
    Now the dal is ready.Garnish with coriander leaves.
    It tastes good with rice.Very Yummy.

8. cutie1975

cutie1975 New IL'ite

Tomato Rasam Recipe.
    ------------------

Ingredients.
    ------------

Tomatoes-4 in number (medium)
    Jeera-1tsp
    coriander seeds-1tsp
    blackpepper-1/2tsp
    red chillies-5-6
    turmeric-a pinch
    salt
    water
    coriander leaves
    curry leaves
    Avalu(Mustard seeds)
    red chillies-2 for tampering
    hinge-a pinch
    oil
    Garlic-3

Process
    -------

Cook the tomatoes in water till the skin is easily separated.
    In a pan dry roast jeera,coriander seeds,blackpepper,dried red chillies,make it into powder.
    Now peel the skins of tomatoes,mash the tomatoes in the same water.
    Put it on stove add the powder which we made,salt,turmeric cook till it boils.
    Now for poopu,take oil,add avalu,red chillies,crushed garlic,hinge,add it to the rasam.
    Then add curry leaves and coriander leaves.
    Tastes very yummy with hot rice.

9. sailajanori

sailajanori New IL'ite

:hiyaAnother method of making Pachchimirapakaya pachadi is

Ingredients:

1. Green Chillies/Pachimirapakayalu
    2. 1 onion
    3. 1 tomato
    4. Small piece ginger
    5. Small piece garlic
    6. 1 tsp nuvvulu
    7. less than 1/2 tsp pepper powder or 2 miriyalu
    8. 1/2 cup coriander leaves
    9. 1/2 lemon size or 1 lemon size tamarind depending upon taste.
    10. little turmeric
    11.1/2 spoon jeera
    12. salt to taste

Cut chillies, onion and tomatoes into medium sized pieces. Put oil in a deep frying pan and add onion, chillies and all the other ingredients mentioned above and fry till they become soft. Dont overfry anything. Then add tomato and after it becomes soft, remove the pan from fire. Once the mixture cools down grind into a paste in a mixture. It tastes good and really hot. If you want it to be moderate please add less chillies. In case of tamarind please first add only little in the mixer for grinding and depending upon the taste the quantity of tamarind can be increased.

I hope you like it.

10. epics

epics Senior IL'ite

wow...nuvvulu ! what is that?