1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Opinion On Everything

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SCSusila, Jun 16, 2018.

1. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

This small incident happened when i was browsing in the kiosk selling Bengal sarees in a Handloom and Handicrafts mela recently .

There were five customers looking at the sarees shown by the Lady running the kiosk , at that point of time . Myself , a middle aged husband and wife pair and two ladies , maybe friends.

The middle aged Wife looked through many sarees and held up one . It was a fine cotton saree with bright multicoloured stripes running horizontally on a white background . She was telling the Kiosk Lady : “This is very attractive ......” intent on buying it.

Just then the husband butted in with a remark “ Whats this , cloth for a Yakshagana Dance ?”

The way he said it, made all of us laugh , except the Wife .

She put the saree back and started looking at the terracotta jewelry in the adjoining kiosk .

“ What ? Not buying ? “ asked the surprised Husband .

“ How can I buy it , if you say such things whenever I wear it ! “

I felt very sorry for her and regretted laughing at the man’s remark . When everyone laughed , she might have got the impression that all others have same poor opinion of the saree as the husband . And she meekly backed off, inspite of liking it so much. She was not brave enough to have her say,poor thing . Perhaps because of her dependence on him .

Then the Kiosk Lady said

“Madam , it is you who are going to wear it . If you like it , then why bother what it looks like to others ? ....if Sir doesnt like it , he can look the other way ! “ she was talking lightly and smiling .

But what she said made an impression in my mind .

Why do husbands have to have an opinion on wife’s taste when she is not even asking him if he likes it ?

A lot of unhappiness happens on earth because people find fault with others tastes or actions . “I dont like it “ is frequently used whether its within family or in public life .

Why should the world run according to our Liking only ? If we dont like something someone is wearing or if we see a lousy TV show we have the option not to see it and turn off. Instead , we take pleasure in passing cruel remarks .

Why cant people be broadminded to respect other’s tastes and mind their own business ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2018

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Nice share.
    exactly...

Thyagarajan and SCSusila like this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I usually do not mind my husband, my mom, my dad, or my children, giving their opinion about my choices because I know they have my best interests at heart.
    When it comes to buying clothes I value their opinions because they know what complements me what makes me look droopy, pale, or just horrible.

Regarding others' opinions, yes, it can be quite annoying, but in retrospect it is our choice whether to pay heed or not.
    Sometimes we get viewpoints that we never would have thought about. They may turn out to be good after all.

Like the saleswoman said, it is still our decision to make.

4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Our near and dear ones always air their opinion, we still have the choice of accepting or rejecting it. The issue comes when their views are forced on others. In our enthusiasm, on the spur of the moment, some of us say things which we may not mean at all. It is best to be a little more cautious and sensitive.

5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I agree Geeta.
    I wrote from the wife's stance.
    You have written from the husband's stance.

This is not a one sided solution. Everyone has a responsibility.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  6. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Dear kkrish,

Basically, I made a general statement. I know many (men n women) who are too particular about implementing their will, wish and POV. Their spouses n children suffer the most and occassionally it spills over to others in their company. This kind of temperament is bad for relationships and it should be checked.

7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This simple fact is curiously difficult for most people to grasp. People don't seem to get that their personal preferences are not enforceable beyond the tip of their noses. Once you enter other people's personal space you have to be mindful of their feelings and desires. You are entitled to an opinion but you are not free to inflict it on those around you. I think there is an element of narcissism and entitlement here. Such people assume that others should be grateful to receive their 'wisdom'. They cannot imagine that people might disagree with them.

The solution is not to waste time pondering the hows and whys of their behavior but to immunize ourselves against such freely dispensed 'gyan'. We should work on creating a mental space between their words and our feelings. Marcus Aurelius said, "Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears." No one can injure your sensibilities if you refuse to surrender your peace of mind to them. I have learned to smile and say, "I appreciate your opinion but allow me to decide..."

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Viswamitra, Mistt, SCSusila and 5 others like this.
  8. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

This may be an offshoot of innate, deeply embedded traits nurtured by biological evolution. Most creatures spend a substantial portion of their lives having to quickly distinguish between friend/foe, food/poison, eat/be eaten, fight/flight. Even as we are blessed with sapience, our animal selves still feel their existence depend on a constant scanning of the environment followed by a rapid judgment. In benign situations (like shopping) this scanning and judging spills over into verbal commentary, often with words better left unsaid. When meditation teachers urge a non-judgemental awareness, this is exactly what they mean - watch how quickly your monkey-mind rushes to classify everything into like/dislike, love/hate even before the sensory perception is complete. I have found it instructive to cultivate awareness of this spontaneous impulse.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Viswamitra, Anisu, SCSusila and 2 others like this.
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

This is so true . Have seen many cases and I myself being a victim sometimes. Wish whoever it is shouldn’t force their opinions on others in such a way that it hurts their sentiments. Esp in clothing.

Each one has their own choice and each one is comfortable wearing particular types . But I don’t really get why some husbands force their wives to wear according to their wishes.

I am not telling that wife shouldn’t respect husband opinions but what I don’t like is forcing wife to dress up in certain way when wife doesn’t like or not allowing wife to dress up according to her wishes always!

She may be dependable on him but is she not an Adult ? When she knows how to dress up decently why not let her wear what she wants instead. Shouldn’t the husband respect wife’s choice too ??

The worst was when my FIL told me not to wear a particular top because it was asymmetrical and if you wear such tops it’s bad itseems!!! One side of my mind I was laughing for his stupidity and other side got really angry but dint speak a word . Why should inlaws control what to wear and wat not to wear . Being youngsters we women like wearing modern and trendy clothes ( Although Not mini skirts or revealing clothes )

Why should they stop us wearing such things after marriage ?? When will this Indian men mindset change ??

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Greenbay, SCSusila and GeetaKashyap like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Susila, seeing a snippet after a long time. Nice.

I get the overall gist of the snippet -- respect others' choices, do not foist your preferences on others... but the example of husband-wife interaction in the saree shop is standard conversation married couples have. A wife might say something similar if husband is looking at a very bright colored shirt. I might cover my eyes, and say "ouch, the color pokes". And the wife made the right choice... why buy something that husband thinks look like a dance costume. Now, if she still wanted to, and he forbade her, then, there is a problem.

About the tv show -- well, if I spend 20 mins on it, and it sucks, I am going to have some comments at the lost time! Why would I quietly switch off the tv? I would be vocal and hopefully save someone else time!

Expressing opinion does not always mean we want world to run according to our liking only. Opinion can be respectfully expressed, with it being understood that it is not an order, without having to say that each time.

Near and dear are the ones we look to for honest opinion. They should be able to give that freely.

sindmani, SunPa, Anisu and 3 others like this.