1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Ode To One Song

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Rihana, Jul 2, 2016.

1. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Rihana likes this.
  2. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

I enjoy bollywood songs for their eternal verses. These verses shuffle between figurative and symbolic and literal perspectives in their interpretation as we wisen up in our flitting kinship.

One such song that has risen up in entangled perspectives for me is Tu hi tu har jagah

Tu hi tu har jagah
    Aaj kal kyun hai
    Raaste har dafa
    Sirf tera pata
    Mujhse pooche bhala kyu hai
    Na main apna raha
    Na kisi aur ka
    Aisa mere khuda kyu hai
    Tu hi tu har jagah

The first twitch of love is usually figurative of 'Tu hi tu har jagah'. The romanticized partner is not corporeally noticed everywhere but the lingering presence is felt everywhere. Haunted by such thoughts, the opened fridge wafts of buttery aroma of smoothened cheeks. Cauliflower is the neck. Spinach reminds of the nose. Yes, in love, neck is observed in cauliflower and spinach is even fondled mesmerized in the spell of that Tu hi tu har jagah. They would conjure each other up aslant on a lamp post reading newspaper, momentarily lifting the brow to wink. They would imaginatively incorporate the other cross-legged on a bench grinning. Still, it is sweet to delusionally invent the partner fly-tipping a crisp packet when the nearest dumpster is missing.

But that ritualistic Tu hi tu har jagah fizzles out soon to be displaced by a more sustainable Tu hi tu har jagah.

This is not figurative, it is real! Does that mean the partner is noticed everywhere. Hell, no, it means, into a relationship, the couple is contently mindful and not excessively romanticizing the other's suffused presence. This next phase of 'Tu hi tu har jagah' also entails sensitivity to each other's needs. Either of them could order the meal to the other's liking with explicit instructions on iced water, still water, sparkled water and the width of the lemon wedges with chicken tikka. (Oh! she likes it that way.) The colors, texture and contours of our liking are memorized. (He likes it that way.) Both of them are not a hairline intrigued at each other's perfection in recollecting their subtlety around their tastes as much Tu hi tu har jagah passed between them.

I find this phase of sensitive to rather than enamored of each other's quirks the cherished Tu hi tu har jagah, thoughtful of Tu's peeves and compulsions everywhere.

Rihana likes this.
  3. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

I might have quoted this song across my burble. The song is defining in reconciliation. Its takes tremendous indifference of the outcome than any other reasoned emotion to venture into reconciling with someone. (But still I confront.) It could also be the wording "dar" (doorstep/threshold) which elevates the mundanity in reconciliation of tere yahan or tere pass chale aaye. I halt at your doorstep in estrangement. You might have to breach your restraint too. I have always loved the well-minded forthcomingness with insistent mutuality in the song. (I will come only till your doorstep, not to your balcony!)

Tere dar par sanam chale aaye
    Tu na aaya toh hum chale aaye
    Chale aaye, chale aaye

Many cite ego as the blocker. I think, self-doubt plays a larger role. The subsequent verse indefatigably captures that self-doubt of falter at our suspected unanimity. (Does she/he feel the same way about me. Does she/he too miss me. Do I mean as much as she/he means to me). Against that falter we walk into with our delusion that the other person too wants us as much as we want them. Against the mockery of the passing night on our estrangement, I bring myself to you.

Ladkhadaye kadam chale aaye
    Chale aaye, chale aaye
    Isse pehle ke hum pe hasti raat
    Leke apna bharam chale aaye
    Chale aaye, chale aaye

...it might only be a delusion I am cradling, yet, that invention of mine has brought me to you assuming that you too desire us together.

Often, romances entail compromises. Or that is how it is indicated. I think "compromise" is too self-sacrificing as a descriptive word. Romances sway in reconciliations. If you don't confront, I might deign chale aaye. Even if it takes a faltered delusion of a conciliatory dip, I would crawl through other deterrents for you too to descend from your own self-doubt and mope.

Tere dar par sanam chale aaye
    Tu na aaya toh hum chale aaye
    Chale aaye, chale aaye

This song ranks high in my playlist for its indomitable melody not to forsake our chale aaye.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Mistt and Rihana like this.
  4. Dhamini

Dhamini Platinum IL'ite

A melodious song with good lyrics. It’s from a movie which is based on a real life touching story.

Kathirunnu.. Kathirunnu..
    Waiting..Waiting
    Puzha melinju kadavozhinju
    River thinned.. the river spot is empty
    Kalavum kadannu poy…
    The era passed by
    Venalil dalangal pol
    Like petals in summer
    Valakaloornu poyyy..
    Bangles slid off...
    Orthirunnu orthirunnu
    Brooding..brooding
    Nizhalu pole chirakodinju
    Broke wings like a shadow
    Kaattiladi nalamayi
    Swung like a flame in the wind
    Noolu pole nerthupoya chiri marannu poyi
    Forgot the smile that narrowed to a thread
    Oro neram thorum neelum Yaamam thorum
    Through each time through each prolonged hour
    Ninte Ormayaalerinjidunnu njaan
    I burn in the heat of your memory
    Ororo marikarum ninte Mounam pol
    Enikkaay peyyumennu kathu njaaan
    Longed that like your silence,
    each dark cloud would pour down for me
    Mazhamari veyilaayi
    Sunlight has replaced the rains
    Dhinamere kozhiyunnu
    Many a days pass by
    Thenni thenni kannil mayum Ninne kanan
    To see you who keeps slipping off my sight
    ennum ennum ennum
    ever and ever…
    Olam moolum pattil Neengum thonikara
    Hey boatman, who moves with the waves melody
    Ninte Kootinaay kothichirunnu.. Njaan…
    I had always craved your company
    Innolam kanapookal eeran Mulamkavil namukaay matramonnu pookkumo
    Will the yet unseen flowers bloom only for us in the bamboo woods
    Thiri pole kariyunnu
    Burning like a vick
    Thira pole thirayunnu
    Seeking like the waves
    Chimmi chimmi nokum neram
    While seeking, eyes blinking
    Munnil pinnil ennum ennum ennum..
    Before, Behind, ever and ever

The widow of a bachelor: The eternal story of Kanchana and Moideen

Amulet and Rihana like this.
  5. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

This song is 13 reasons why of a woman inquiring the ardor of a man dogged in pursuit to win her over as her suitor. I have listened to this song many times in the past but yesterday when I played, I paused at a noteworthy quibble.

Dil Ke Kahayalon Mein,
    Beete Sawaalon Mein
    Shabd Naye Buno,
    Kuch To Naya Kaho
    Tu Kare Dil Bekaraar
    Kyoon Karun Main Tujhse Pyaar​

... are uppish women of this generation really falling for time-honored pledges in love. Is 'love you' and 'take care of you' and 'want you' and 'need you' fancier enough to concede in love. Don't the women deserve unheard and original propositions of a man's undertaking to woo her.

The woman instructs to rectify the act: Shabd Naye Buno, Kuch To Naya Kaho. Weave something unlikely, utter something imaginative. Fool! Just don't tinker around in worn-out pleas but up the ante of the courtship game.

I love the provocation of that woman unmoved by hackneyed tokens of love. How is a man to romance such an offbeat woman uninterested in repetitive themes of love. Keep insisting 'Jaayegi Tu Jahan, Aaunga Main Wahan' and bore you with more of my stock utterances.

Rihana likes this.
  6. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

There has not been another compelling melody at the urgency of falling love to the plain lyrics in 'Pyar ko ho jane do…'

Pyar ko ho jane do
    Pyar mein kho jane do
    Aaitbaar kiska hai, intezaar kiska hai
    Abhi na hua to phir
    Kabhi nahin kabhi nahin​

No propitious time to fall in love so long as you found the besotted companion to fall in love with. It can happen once, it can happen again but no destined season to fall in love. Don't be frighted at the suitability of the timing to fall in love because there has never been a better time than now with you alongside me to cede to this irrepressible feeling in me.

Why stall?
    What is the love contingent on?
    It is now
    It has to be now.
    If not now
    Never can it knock again

I love the softened urgency of the inner turmoil to possess the eventful and delighted beckoning of love to have chosen them both to meet up.

Kuch bigad jane do
    Kuch sawar jane do​

Let it break a bit of me. Let it reform a part of me. But just fall in love.

The song melts into a sweet impulse of love claiming them both -- in a good-tempered sense.

Rihana likes this.
  7. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

The aching plea in the song for another notion of rendezvous, another moment of togetherness, just another chance of being called upon is poignant. I have just found you. Don't quit on me already. I have never heard a song so wrenching in emotional arousal incapacitated by surrendered liking. I have only now fancied you. Don't turn about. I have only now been brightened. Don't retreat. I have only now tasted life. Don't halt. I have only now listened to my heart. Don't threaten me with consequences. I have only now discovered insanity. Don't reform me yet. The song staggers on hope of claiming one's newly fixated love.

What the heck is this song? So invasively hummed in an eruption of instantaneous feelings.

The lyrics are haunting.

The melody is sparsely instrumental.

Yet, the song is evocative of imprisoned in love by a sweet reckoning on how nascent yet intense feelings are tormenting the man in the wake of obstinacy of his fleeing love.

Abhi Abhi Toh Mile Ho
    Abhi Naa Karo Chhutne Ki Baat
    Abhi Abhi Toh Pasand Aaye Ho
    Abhi Abhi Ruthne Ki Baat
    Abhi Abhi Toh Roshni Aayi
    Abhi Naa Karo Muuh Chhupane Ki Baat
    Abhi Abhi Zindagi Shuru Hai
    Abhi Abhi Tham Jaane Ki Baat
    Hum Toh Haare Mahiya Re
    Moonde Naina, Neendh Tihaare
    Hum Toh Haare Mahiya Re
    Moonde Naina, Neendh Tihaare​

Rihana likes this.
  8. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Liked the freedom felt like nothing is there to show and prove someone. Do what you feel good. Love this song.

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The song starts off with a tribal sounding prelude: jhinga lala hur, jhinga lala hur.

And then steps in Kishore Kumar at one of his soulful best.

hum bewafaa, hargiz na the
    par hum wafa, kar na sake

Almost each word in the song can be taken and examined for hours with a drink of one's choice by the side.

hargiz = never, absolutely, no way.
    I was never ever unfaithful
    But I could never do faithfulness
    (the mind cringes and the heart cries at this loss in translation)

humko mili, uski sazaa
    hum jo khataa, kar naa sake

I received, the sentence (punishment) of (for)
    A mistake I didn't get to commit.

tooney kiyaa, jo shikwaa
    ham wo gilaa, kar naa sake

the complaints (how could you's) that you could express
    such reproaches I could not make

Listening to the song over the years, we unfortunately become immune to the delicate handling of words delivered by Anand Bakshi.
    gilaa and shikwaa often go together, but here there is a subtle difference. One is more leaning toward "complaint", the other more towards "reproach."

The last few lines of the song make me want to go back in time, to the sangeet mehfils with friends, and discussing just one song late into the night:

tumne jo dekhaa sunaa, sach thaa magar
    kitnaa thaa sach, ye kisko pataa

What you saw and heard was true, but ...
    how much true/truth it was, who knows ...

jaane tumhe maine koi dhokha diyaa
    jaane tumhe koi dhokha huaa

Maybe I deceived you? I gave you a deception?
    Maybe a deception happened to you?

dhokha diyaa versus dhoka huaa ... this discernment, or the lack of it, delivered in Kishore Kumar's dard bhari awaaz as a gentle "think about it" question from a lover to his once-loved is timeless.

Random trivia about the song and the movie:
    - jhingalala now officially means all-izz-well, hum tho happy hain.
    - The movie (Shalimar - 1978) which was a complete flop, also starred English Actor Rex Harrison and two American actors - Sylvia Miles and John Saxon.
    - The story is based on the James Hadley Chase book "The Vulture is a Patient Bird."
    - Dharmendra is in his standard light color long-sleeved shirt, untucked, a few buttons at the top undone. : )
    - Other than wishing to dissect the song in mehfils of yore, I wish there was a way to edit out the tribal sounds and listen to it one time.
    - Music by R.D.Burman. This song was number 4 in Binaca Geetmala of 1979.
    - Dharmendra turned 85 recently (December 8th 2020). My whatsapp group served up this article about his marriage to two women: Dharmendra's First Wife, Prakash Kaur Still Defends Him For Re-Marrying Hema Malini

satchitananda likes this.
  10. Urmila

Urmila Silver IL'ite

Like this song. I really couldn’t recognise that it’s Parvathi Menon. She looks so different. I have also attached her another song.

Sondha verodu thaan konda kaadhalinai
    Adhu sollaamal ponaalum puriyadhaa
    Aavaram poo annalil irundhe
    Yaarukku kaathirikku
    Andhi pagal mazhai veyil sumandhe
    Unakkaaga poothirukku

Kaatril aadi thinamdhorum
    Unadhu dhisayai thodaruthada
    Kuzhandai kaala nyabagathil
    Idhazgal virithe kidakkuthada
    Nedunaal andha nerukkam
    Ninaithe adhu kidakkum
    Sarugagal satham podum
    Dhinam soozhnilai yutham podum adhan
    Vaarthai ellaam

For translation and more explanation this link might be helpful.

i am not in ukraine: Translation of Aavaram Poo from Poo