1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Ode To One Song

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Rihana, Jul 2, 2016.

1. anupama1

anupama1 Platinum IL'ite

Very nice lyrics and picturisation, Amitab and Rekha look superb.

2. Raniz

Raniz Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rihana,
    Thank you for this lovely song's translation. Because I don't know Hindi. But I have heard so many times this original version and also later sung by Asha Bhonsle, cover version by Arijit Singh. In fact firstly I've heard the cover version in Shruthi Box of Shankar Tucker sung by Rohini Ravada. That was awesome too.

cover by Rohini Ravada

Cover by Arijit Singh

Rihana likes this.
  3. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

What's love got to do with it ?
    asks Tina Turner. When that song first came out, I was quite taken with that. Even though her crooning isn't exactly like the chamber music of M.S. Subbalakshmi, her song appealed to the firangi-part in me... justifying the desi notions of marriage, affection, duty, and culture.

We, the firangi-desi types, are never at ease saying "love" within a twosome. Never mind that we grew up in a culture that can say it so easily. For us, the mixed-ups, it is easy to drop that word in a crowd, but not just within a twosome -- whether they be contemplating joint pelvic isometrics or have been doing it for decades. It is just not easy, comfy, or un-corny thing to say. The west, and their cheapening of the thing, is to blame for that.
    Those who have had a long married life, whether it be all happy, mostly happy, somewhat happy, happy in brief streaks, happy once upon a time, happy on occasion, never happy.... whatever it be, they could identify with the lyrics of the song of Tina Turner.
    Watching Tina Turner perform the song on a MTV stage would be so distracting... so here is a youtube video of her singing with lyrics:

If you really like her on stage with her lion's mane toupee, and 8" heels pushing out her already hottentot butt farther out, here is the link:

Rihana likes this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anyone remember Sangharsh from the 90s? Not very successful remake of 'The Silence of the Lambs', with two awesome songs. Even after all these years they evoke the same feelings as the first time I heard them.

Mujhe raat din bas mujhe chahti ho...is love ballad perfection. It is romantic and passionate. I adore this song for more reasons than one. ; )

tumhe neend aayegi ab na mere bin
    mujhe hai yakeen aisa aayega ek din

[...]

kabhi gaur se meri aankhon mein dekho
    meri jaan tumhaara hi chehraa chhupaa hai

Raniz, Rihana, Laks09 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Me @Gauri03 i still go fida .the lines .. rabba mainu pyar ho gaya haii..

Some songs ...:kissingheart::kissingheart: one more

Sunburst, Raniz, Rihana and 3 others like this.
  6. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Most of the Hindi film songs belonging to the older era started with a prelude, which set the mood of the song. Then there were certain musical instruments which played dominant role in enhancing the charm of the song and also uplifting the mood of the scene. This one song from ' Ek Gaon Ki Kanani" brings out the beauty of a happy family outing in a cycle- with harmonica playing a lead role in taking music to a higher level.

Agatha83

Rihana likes this.
  7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I am not a big fan of Pooja Bhatt or Rahul Roy or even the other Pooja Bedi.

He looked too lanky and stolid in Aashqui. Then came his Junoon and that movie killed him for me in what ever throb he could have induced in me.

Then came this song on tv! I was crazy about this song. Then slowly I grew on that brooding star. Before long, I liked his shampooed hair. Later, Rahul Roy as that archetypal pining lover never faded with the imprint of this song ..Tere Dar Par Sanam. Years on, I cannot but be entrapped by that lure of sweet gesture of meeting you half way across.

Chale aaye, chale aaye
    Tere dar par sanam chale aaye
    Too naa aaya toh ham chale aaye
    Bin tere koyee aas bhee naa rahee
    Itane tarse ke pyaas bhee naa rahee
    Ladkhadaaye kadam, chale aaye

Sunburst and Gauri03 like this.
  8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

This song is very dear to me! Why? If I write my autobiography, my teenage years under Chapter#12: Crushes will only only one line: Is Deewane Ladke Ko Koi Samjhaye

Guys who fell for me were always friend-zoned and the guys whom I fell for didn't even know of my wispy existence.

Also, I have a thing for 6 feet tall guys and the only exception I ever made was for Amir Khan. He is the shorty and cutoo!

Gauri03 likes this.
  9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Areyyy this movie had spectacular songs! I have every single one memorized down to the last line. :D Can't remember the innumerable times we'd stay back late after school on some pretext or the other and break into,

Dil mein sanam ki surat,
    Aankhon mein aashiqui de,
    Mere khuda mujhe tu,
    Ek aur zindagi de!

Sunburst likes this.
  10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

It did! I liked these songs more than Aashqui songs. Not sure how it fared at the box office though. The theme was bold, which though usual for the Bhatt banner, was unusual for the Indian audiences who were used to pansy romances.

I am bad at singing so never ventured into any vocal breakouts and terrified the crowd. I was always enlisted as the back-up of the back-up of the back-up choral singer, which means, if one fell sick, and the other fell down the stairs and the third one developed a sore throat, only then I would be considered for an "audition".

Another of my melting songs ...

Gauri03 likes this.