1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Idle Mind Is A Devil's Workshop

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, May 25, 2017.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

The brain is the chief controlling centre of the man and can be used for constructive as well as destructive purposes. The major inventions that took place in this world are a result of man putting his brain to the proper use. When a brain is not engaged in constructive activities it goes astray and thinks of destructive things which lead to a lot of problems.

The above is so true. When you are idle so many thoughts come in your mind. Off late I have started thinking too much which my daughter and sister also say. I sometimes feel noone loves me and people are going away from me. Feel they dont respect my age. My sister says you go to so many places but still you have not understood people. Her thinking is why go and talk to people and have wrong thinking. Better to be quiet. But when someone talks to me I should also continue talking na. Some who feel my company is good come and talk to me.

When we are idle we think a lot but when we are busy there is not time to think. Now a days I keep myself busy in making jewellery which gives me satisfaction that I am doing something. Sometimes when I find some necklace isnot so good, I remove and make another design. For that my husband will say the proverb in tamil, velaiilladha ambattan punai pidichu saraichanam.

By keeping our minds busy we develop and improve. A busy person is a happy person. Idleness, on the other hand, makes a person indolent, moody and bored.

Sometimes my mind thinks of a close person that they are not the same. But when they phone and talk to me my mind gets cleared and I feel simply I thought wrong about that person. Same thing happened with a close relative who has always been close I felt she has changed and the other day when she phoned and we had a long chat my doubts got cleared . I told her felt happy talking toyu and all the misunderstanding got cleared for which she said there will be never any misunderstanding between us . She has learnt me very well and is the same but my mind had different opinion

A person who knows the value of being busy also knows the value of time. He does not waste his time in gossip. He does not spend his spare time day-dreaming. Instead, he utilizes his time in fruitful occupations. Even if he is traveling in a bus, he uses his time to read a book or study human behavior or think about his work.

2. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

yes mam , When we are busy , we dont have much time to think about many things.. but same can be utilized when we are free or doing something which doesn't need much attention..

iyerviji likes this.
  3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,

Technology has brought a breach in relationships, where many a personal relationship is going for a toss. Decades back we had neighbors who would exchange goodwill and friendly gossip along with a cup of sambar or curry. Now, people try to hide away in whatsApp or FB. We have to accept the change and try to immerse ourselves in some of the hobbies which we are passionate about.
    You are doing a great job in this forum and your fears are unfounded. Carry on with the same zeal, irrespective of whether it is friends or relatives who call you back or revere you!

Agatha83

iyerviji and satchitananda like this.
  4. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

So true! It also amazes me how our wonderful minds can create / solve biggest problems if I used constructively and also create the biggest problems if left unchecked and idle. I wish we knew how to channelized the power of mind in the right to direction at all times

Archanaanchan and iyerviji like this.
  5. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

yes , viji ji, when we are busy certainly we forget about our worries & we can find new ways to solve our problems & feel less burdened.

iyerviji likes this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Vijima, I can understand the feeling when close friends do not remain in frequent touch, but there could be many reasons for that. It need not have anything to do with us. May be they are very busy, or they may have some problems of their own and may be feeling depressed. Sometimes people withdraw from others when they are in pain or depression, because they feel others won't understand if they keep complaining of their problems. So when I am faced with a situation where I find a friend unresponsive, I try to reach out twice or thrice. If the response continues to be the same, I allow them their space for a while and after some time they come back. If they don't, I let go. "If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it's yours; if it does not, it was never yours".

We need to find some way to occupy our minds, no matter how we do it, so we don't feel lost or bored or lonely. When I feel lost, I go to youtube, listen to TED talks, watch documentaries, comedy shows and so on. It keeps me so busy, I don't realize how time flies.

iyerviji likes this.
  7. Sani12

Sani12 Bronze IL'ite

Absolutely agree. An empty mind is definitely devils workshop. But I don't understand why anyone in today's day and age would keep or have an empty mind. There are abundance of opportunities for everyone and every single one of us must keep our selves busy. Not just in jobs or housework, but hobbies or social work or basically any thing that encourages creativity within us.

iyerviji and satchitananda like this.
  8. SharadaIyer

SharadaIyer Senior IL'ite

yes viji akka you are very right. idle mind is devils workshop . your thoughts remind me of one of my colleague. hes our PRO (Public Relation Officer) who is infact idle and he just looks up to people to listen his gossips and dirty cookings of mind. becoz of his this nature . there exists lots of negativity in office atmosphere, which in further results in so much loose talks .. overall office working atmosphere gets dirty and the people who are really busy gets disbtured and distracted.

every person should himself /herself think on it and realise it.

iyerviji likes this.
  9. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

While I think the saying is quite true, I think many people don't know how to use their free time effectively. Some people use gossiping and drama as a time pass, while other actually use that time to work out or do some crafts. The mind doesn't need to be occupied ALL the time, but the mind needs a purpose to stay healthy. If the purpose is lost, then all the negativity gathers and prevents the mind from improving.

iyerviji and Sunshine04 like this.
  10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Sometimes even when we are fully occupied, in another corner thoughts are rising.It is like the story of 'Take this medicine;but don't think about the monkey.'Some people go on scolding others while fully engaged in their job.Seems that scolding appears an incentive to do jobs.
    We cannot keep our mind totally busy always.But we can definitely keep it under check with some determination.
    Jayasala 42

iyerviji and Naari like this.