1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Extra Marital Affair

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Lakshmi6197, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Lakshmi6197

Lakshmi6197 Gold IL'ite

A very good friend of mine recently confided in me that her husband was having an EMA. they are regular people - well educated and till now the normal middle class people who have worked their way up in life.

Was wondering about what makes a man cheat on his wife after more than a decade and half of marriage with two kids - a brand new teen and a preteen.

Would like experienced ladies/gentlemen to pour in their thoughts as am truly baffled. i am not judging anybody or want a solution or talk of the morality of it. just want to know the working of the man's brain behind it.

To hear a dear friend in pain is heart wrenching in the least. would not want to discuss the friends story any further as it is a general discussion. yes i have heard of such things happen in the past to people. but when they happen to people you truly care about, somehow perspectives change.

Thank you.

2. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

I think your friends husband must be in 40s around. That's when midlife crisis hits.human mind is tricky, we are never truly satisfied . Now this man has worked his way up, built his career, built his family, financially well settled. Now he faces an existential crisis, is this all to life, what is the purpose and meaning of it all. Unless someone has a strong spiritual faith something feels like it's missing . they start feeling very restless , that now they have achieved what they wanted and completed three quarters of their life. They crave for something to make them get back that spark in life again .some men buy new sports cars, some end up in emas .

3. Lakshmi6197

Lakshmi6197 Gold IL'ite

Thankyou @Shreema86 . you have given a good perspective. what baffled me was why would a man risk everything in his comfortable secure life for a fling? yes they had their disagreements but they were normal issues.

Yes this craving for an "adventure" kind of explains it. my female mind could not grasp it. thanks.

cravingforhlove likes this.
  4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

In that case may be this is not the right forum given that
    a) Majority of posters are women so it would be their perspective and mostly speculative
    b) if a guy (a married man with kids ) did cheat he is not going to come here and tell u why he did what he did.

minn1, Laks09, SGBV and 1 other person like this.
  5. rajatsingh

rajatsingh Silver IL'ite

EMAs are not the exclusive prerogative of men only.

Men and women both develop EMAs. Only the reasons driving each gender into EMAs are different.

Women go for EMAs when they miss emotional intimacy with their husbands. Again it is only few among them. Vast majority learn to live monogamously in emotional intimacy starved marriages also.

Men go for EMAs for novelty and variety. The worst thing, men can have an EMA, even when every need of him both emotional and physical are fulfilled by his wife. What has driven him into EMA is probably the adventurous feeling of novelty provided by the 'another' woman. Again, very few men succumb to this temptation. The remaining vast majority learn to lead a totally monogamous life till the end.

A phenomenon, equally applicable to both the genders, shouldn't be displayed as a male prerogative.

anucse, Ind3, cheenu123 and 8 others like this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My friend who is a divorcee has been proposed more than six times!!all are married men with atleast two kids.

They openly tell her that they would be companion to her and be FWB but they will not leave their family.they say love is different and lust is different!!

It makes them feel young and romantic.

Men want some spice in heir life.As one IL said,when life gets into a routine and when something or someone interesting tempts you,many cave in to that.One has to have self control and honor to oblige to heir marital vows.

This "spice" is a test for your wedding life.No one can control yourself but you.

7. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

:fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:
    now had to keep an eye on my H...ignoring him too much....

8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I think its got to do more with the opportunity that presents itself.

PhoenixAwoken and Lakshmi6197 like this.
  9. Lakshmi6197

Lakshmi6197 Gold IL'ite

@rajatsingh i wanted to know why a man would risk his family, reputation and even career if there were no major problems in his life. i neither meant EMAs are a man's prerogative or that all men indulge in it. far from it. some of the best friends i have had in life have been men.

fact is that both sexes indulge in it. i know of both men and women who have done it. but they were acquaintences, people whom i knew vaguely. this gentleman was the first person who did it for no apparent reason and i know him, wife and kids rather well.

Being a woman, i understand a woman's perspective in straying, here i wanted the male perspective. thats all. i have male friends but never discussed EMAs with them and right now do not want to.

EMAs are not very common, both in males and females and i understand that. this lady is very dear to me so her pain hit me rather hard. apologies if i was not able to articulate my question well.

10. Lakshmi6197

Lakshmi6197 Gold IL'ite

OMG what an ugly experience for your friend. sympathize with her. i would be unable to trust men after this. somehow i have been blessed with some friends who are great guys - at least with me. i have had very few such experiences even though i remained single for a very long time.

My understanding of life is that both men and women find many partners in life. i married my husband. that does not mean i will never find a better guy than him in the future. but that i am faithful to him is a test of my character and how much faith i have in my marital vows. this holds true for both men and women.

Thank you for understanding my question and sharing your views.

PhoenixAwoken, Telja and anika987 like this.