1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

An embarrassing question..

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by Aarzee, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Aarzee

Aarzee New IL'ite

Hi.. I have a very embarrassing question to ask...Can I get a haircut here if I have lice in hair? I am in desperate need of a haircut but am afraid to go to a salon here for fear of being turned away..
    Oh, I am from the Naperville area..

2. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Why do you keep the lice?

3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Don't go in without treating the lice. It is a public health hazard. You could contaminate the hairdresser's tools and spread the lice. If they find out, they will surely turn you away.

Get a lice treatment like Nix or LiceMD from any drugstore. Even though the instructions recommend keeping it for 10-20 minutes, keep for at least 2 hours. My daughter's pediatrician recommended keeping it overnight. After washing it off, use the comb that comes in the box and remove as many nits as you can. You can safely get your hair cut after that.

4. Aarzee

Aarzee New IL'ite

Thank you for the suggestion, Gauri03. My problem is more of dead nits that I'm unable to remove totally by myself .. tried home remedies with mayonnaise, conditioner etc but still not gone fully. Does anyone know any other way I can get rid of them ? I've read you can use hair straighteners but with the tendency to dry hair I'd rather not do that ...

5. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

Hi OP,
    Using straightener occasionally will not make your hair dry..Just give a try..

6. Miracle1000

Miracle1000 Platinum IL'ite

Buy a nits removal comb and divide your hair into severalife sections. Then comb them finely. Keep a paper to catch the ones drop from hair and remove it.. wipe the comb in vinegar soaked towel or bowl of vinegar. Fine combing your hair is one great solution.

7. Miracle1000

Miracle1000 Platinum IL'ite

And for conditioner apply nicely and keep it for more than an hour.. it will loosen the nits hold on your hair and again fine comb..

8. Aarzee

Aarzee New IL'ite

Thank you, bhagya85 and Miracle1000... Was feeling really squeamish, but with all the nonjudgmental suggestions, feel encouraged to resolve this pesky issue.

9. inboxsweetee

inboxsweetee Gold IL'ite

1. Either almond or olive oil make an excellent home remedy for lice as they will both smother or suffocate the lice, slowing them down so they are easier to remove with a comb.
    2. Buy a shampoo that includes neem oil or add a several teaspoons of neem oil to your shampoo and start using that.
    3. Make a paste by grinding eight to ten garlic cloves and mixing it with two or three teaspoons lime juice. Thoroughly apply this mixture on the scalp and let it be for half an hour before thoroughly rinsing hair with warm water.
    4. thick paste of fresh garlic juice, green tea, lemon extract, shampoo, and conditioner. sit for a half hour and wash off.