1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An American Girl, A Mofussil Accountant And Ganesh Chathurthhi!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Sep 1, 2011.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

The year was 1998. Internet had come for the first time to Madurai. We got a Net connection in our office at an exorbitant cost – Rs.60 per hour.

I used to have mail IDs in various sites and would be chatting with unknown persons across the world in Yahoo Chatrooms.

It was there I met this girl. Let’s call her Helen. She was from Michigan, USA. She was hardly 18 and was deeply in love. I don’t know what made her look up to me for counsel. She started confiding in me, almost everything that was happening in her hectic life.

I had been an academic nerd all my life. I grew up in a city which insists on a gap of at least a mile between men and women. I had never been in a co-ed college.

Yes, I was married and had a daughter. But the kind of the premarital relationship the girl was trying to describe was beyond my ken.

‘Why did you choose me of all the persons roaming in the net?’ I asked her.

‘You’re 40. Live half way across the globe. There’s no way you can blackmail me after the incident as you don’t even know my first name.’

Smart girl.

Then I decided to help. I started thinking about her problem. My analytical mind stepped in at first.
    What was her basic problem?

To what extent of physical intimacy can I go in a romantic relationship?

I started thinking about her problem. If she let her boy friend have whatever he wanted she might be looked down as an ‘easy lay’.

If she held back everything her boy friend might seek those denied pleasures elsewhere. It’s a classical damned if you do and damned if you don’t situation.

My analytical brain sharpened by more than 23 years of exposure to education and training let me down.

At that time I had not even started to write. Sridhar was there. Varalotti was yet to be born.

And then one day the answers for Helen’s questions came rushing to me.

The next time she came in a private chatroom in yahoo I shared my insights with her.

“Helen, do you love your boy friend?”

“Yeah.”

“Does he love you?”

“Oh, sure.”

“When you are struggling hard to express your love, when hand holding, hugging and kissing could not convey the love buried deep in your heart, when he is also in the same boat, whatever you feel like doing is fine. Provided it does not hurt you.

I am not limiting the area of exposure or defining the act of physical intimacy. I am concerned about what’s behind it.

If it’s love then anything is okay. But if there is no love, even letting him touch you is a grave sin.”

After that day Helen gradually stopped coming to me for counsel. Did I go beyond my limits?

A year later there was a crisp mail from her. She had moved to the Eastern Coast with her boy friend. ‘That counsel helped me adopt a healthy attitude towards sex, Sri. Thanks.’

This insight into a woman’s mind helped me write my first short story which appeared in Vikatan in May 1998.

Yesterday an ILite sent a message saying that it was difficult to believe that the story was written by a man.

But why should I talk about all these things on this auspicious day? Have I gone nuts? Not yet.

Today any pooja involves a lot of rituals. In some houses the Ganesh Chathurthi Pooja lasts for two, three hours. Should I be a part of that ritual or not, people keep asking me.

I remember Helen and rephrase the advice I gave her.

“If you are in love with God you can do anything. A ten-hour Pooja, an elaborate Yagam, fasting, all night vigil, anything. It has to be an expression of your love.

But if you don’t feel the love in your heart, doing a ritual for an ulterior motive is as heinous a sin as buying sex for money. Don’t ever do that.”

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!

2. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Dear Sir,

I really was gone aghast wondering what has happened to sir?!?!
    But..well! something kept telling me that sir's 'Sanity must still be intact'-given his unique talent of being able to churn out meaningful posts, even from the most most embarrassing of odd situations!!!!

Alas! My intuition did work out right dear sir:
    “If you are in love with God you can do anything. A ten-hour Pooja, an elaborate Yagam, fasting, all night vigil, anything. It has to be an expression of your love.

But if you don’t feel the love in your heart, doing a ritual for an ulterior motive is as heinous a sin as buying sex for money. Don’t ever do that.”

Thank you sir for that poignant statement there..which has started this auspicious day of ours..with a bang!
    Happy Ganesh Chathurthi to you Sir.

Regards & love,
    Saras.

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sridhar,
    This blog of yours shows, that anything done with love either if it is a job or if it is for the family or for the world..it is acceptable. Just like in Gita, Lord Krishna said, " I accept can a leaf, a fruit or water as a offering if it is with utmost devotion", we need faith, love and devotion in everything we do, that matters most.
    nicely said.

Happy Ganesh Chathurthi to you and your family, Sridhar! :)

sriniketan

4. cshmech

cshmech New IL'ite

OMG.. Your last paragraph came as a blow! Only you could combine a relationship advice and spirituality.. As always I'm a fan for your love for God.

5. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Happy Vinayaga Chathurthi Sir!!

The way you link something as simple as our mundane daily routine or something complicated as emotions in a relationship with spirituality is beyond words sir!!

Loved these lines :

Akila

6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

I am new to IL. Very nice blog......very mature and balanced way of thinking.Exactly true....if we have a passion or to do something we should do it. Without love in heart...doing for ritual sake is not proper...as you advised the young girl Helen.

7. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to you too Sridhar. Sometimes I do feel that we tend to realize ourselves a bit more when we do something for others, without really thinking about it twice. We may contemplate a lot and justify our own actions, but after a point, realize that we can live without doing them, if only, we are true to ourselves. Love towards God too, is such a thing. Enjoyed reading this blog. Thanks. -rgs

8. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Dear sridhar sir,
    Another gem from your treasure!

Like all others even I was wondering what are you talking about when I started reading... But your last few lines said it all!

Those are absolute words of wisdom put in your own way... Thanks so much for sharing this.. I read this first thing in morning.. and I am felling great :)
    I am sure I am going to have a nice day today... Thanks to you!

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sir,
    What you say is absolute truth your adivce to Helen was so authentic I guess it tugged her heart I wish todays generation of young ones realise the absolute truth....
    The way you connected it to our mentality of doing Puja is awesome .....
    "Thats why I hate lots of meaning less rituals and I do the Puja in my own way though it has been criticised if their criticism has some logic I include it else I let it pass over my head....It has given me immense satisfaction......"
    Your this blog reiterated my belief Thank You Sir....

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Varalottiji,

A real quandry what to answer the lady. Hats off to you for having given a very balanced reply without getting judgmental.

As for the puja, I love your answer, but would add that if there is true love for God in one's heart, it is quite sufficient to just light a lamp and offer of flowers. Or even do nothing at all - just pray.

Mantraheenam kriyaheenam bhaktiheenam Parameshwara
    Yat poojitam maya deva, paripoornam tadasthume