1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Alternative View - Open Marriage

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by nandita24, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

How much can an open marriage help solve the many problems of marriage? I refer to the many marital issues raised in this forum. Would many of these issues arisen if their marriages were open?

Just exploring an idea, about which we hear a lot in the media today. If this can make couples' married lives happier, nothing could be better. Of course rules must be honoured.

rosylife likes this.

2. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

Dear op may be you can add a small description of open marriage in the post!

shravs3 likes this.
  3. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  4. Ash73

Ash73 New IL'ite

This is wrong on so many levels..Encourages illicit behavior and promotes the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I like big fat weddings. However, it should not be an open house. Guests should be invited people.

MalStrom and sweetsmiley like this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

NO, but different issues like paternity problem, DNA tests, child custody etc..etc.. would be there

7. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Open marriage ?? Why marry at all ? Let us all be like wild animals in the jungle. Find the next person that gives us that tingling feeling and go all out . When one is bored there are plenty of other animals out there. Maybe on the way we might have some cubs and pups. We might also end up being pioneers in acquiring, spreading existing or novel STD’s .

8. GlobetrotterG

GlobetrotterG Silver IL'ite

The fact is most of the marriages fail because of infidelity issues (from the husband or wife). The concept of open marriage seems to address this particular aspect. So, in a open marriage, there is no necessity to cheat. And it looks like being open strengthen's the bond between the couples.

9. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

To be honest, I don't think many people have the emotional maturity to handle an open marriage - not just in India, but in the world. Even with a traditional monogamous model of marriage, people tend to be insecure, highly emotional, and prone to hurting each other. When there are other people in the mix, wouldn't that make it worse?

The only situation where I think an open marriage would work, is when the marriage is kept to appease the family expectations - for the stability of the children, parents, society, etc. Even in this case, the spouses both have to be on the same page and have some sort of agreement, so that feelings don't get hurt.
    Oh, and the health angle- there's a lot to be said about contraceptives and sexual health care. If people were educated about safe sex, I don't see this being a problem.

Lalithambigai likes this.
  10. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

I felt same as you after reading what open marriage is. First of all, the word MARRIAGE isn't suitable for that relationship and don't need marriage for that kind of relation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.