1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Affair and Its Aftermath - A Real Life Story

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Jan 17, 2006.

1. vijianand

vijianand Senior IL'ite

Sir,

Malathi, might have got her husband back, but will there be any love? If Malathi had done this , woul dhse have been accepted by ther husband?
    When the daughter divya grows up and comes to know all this what respect will she have for her father?
    Atleaset the father - in law was sensible enough to help Malathi climb the ladder of success.

Regards,
    Viji

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

You are right, Viji. There won't be any love. In fact when I had the chance to write this into a long novel I made it abundantly clear.
    Yes. If Malathi had done the same thing no, her DH would not have accepted her. That's the society, the chauvinisitic society for you.
    If only Divya knows about this she will not respect her father.

When God gives crisis he also sends guardian angels to help us. Malathi's fil is one such angel.
    regards,
    sridhar

3. hamsa23

hamsa23 Senior IL'ite

Dear Sir,
    There is very much true in the story, malathi wants her family back just as another lady does, her efforts brought he family back, sad thing is bring her sister during pregnancy, this is not the first time I am reading this , I heard this when m friend told my her experience when her elder sister was pregnant, her BIL tried her But she narrowly escaped from his clutches by going back her home saying she had some urgent work pending poor girl cried a lot.
    In the story Can not blame on one, 2 hands together makes sound , can not make sound with single hand.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  4. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Loved your narrative Valrotti sir. I was eagerly reading to see what would happen.

Why did she still want him back although he cheated on her? Will she be able to truly love him? You hear of women that put up with cheating husbands and wonders how they do it (e.g. Hillary Clinton).

5. varalotti

Dear Hamsa,
    thanks for coming in. I was so affected by this story - this was in the letters do editor column of a woman's magazine. I elaborated first into a short story. And then made it into a fullfledged Tamil Novel, Vaazha Ninaithaal Vaazhalam which was published this year.
    Sorry to know about your friend. She'd be in a pathetic state. Even if she complains to her parents, they'd try to hush-hush her because it might affect the elder sister's life.

It is this pathetic condition of women in our country that made me a writer focused on women's issues.
    regards,
    sridhar

6. varalotti

Thanks Beeamma. You are right. She'd not be able to truly love him. But she has to take that unpleasant decision a) for her daughter and b) she wants to teach the other thief, her sister, a lesson. This man is equally guilty, no doubt. But she wanted to punish one of the offenders at least. She would treat her husband like a piece of furniture after the incident.

sridhar

7. hamsa23

hamsa23 Senior IL'ite

Dear Sir,
    I have no word to say after reading your stories, the characters resemble the people around us, I can see people in your story As I worked in a remote area where tribal people live so being a officer I heard many stories told by them, and friends telling their own story. many of your stories are just real and I love to read your writings.
    Women should be brave enough to face the circumstances, that what I say if any of my colleague have a girl child, Just teach her how to face things by her self

Hamsa

8. varalotti

Thanks Hamsa for the nice words. I don't know what it is for other writers. But for me my writings mirror life as it is. Almost all of my stories are real-life ones. I am afraid that if I call them true stories somebody may sue me for defamation. That's why I categorize my work as fiction.
    You are right. Women being more powerful than men should be brave enough to face the circumstances.
    Today I was talking to a friend who had a point. Children who have lost their fathers but brought up by their mothers are always very good. But take the reverse case. Many children brought up by single fathers are mostly spoilt brats.
    That shows the power of women. And her indispensability.
    thanks for your views.
    And hats off to your work.
    sridhar

9. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

I happened to read this thread only today, thanks to whoever who revived it.

Being a topic of its kind, it felt like reading a mega story in Mangayar Malar or Kalki.

My views -

At the outset, how could Malathy allow herself to get cheated like this. There surely would have been occasions from which she must have alerted herself. May be she was not shrewd to suspect anything.

She should have taken Latha's help only at the time of post-delivery and later managed to do without her.

After having come to know of the affair, she should have quit the house once for all without allowing him to re-enter her life. There is no fun in getting along with him, even though he turned over a new leaf later on. Ofcourse, the way she took up the challenge of being independent is laudable but should not have accepted him in the end. This gives a feeling that ladies always keep the door open for their husbands. This sort of a climax is suitable for Padmini - Shivaji days not the modern women.!

10. varalotti

You have a very valid point, Soldier. Almost every woman who read the story had the same views. Why should Malathi reclaim her husband, or re-accept him?
    I too am disgusted with that guy though he is but a fiction of my imagination.
    Given my age I have seen a number of cases where the man went astray, brought humiliation to the woman and yet the lady accepted him. Hilary Clinton tops that list?
    Why?
    Even though the woman might accept the man the relationship would not be as before. They may even have a sexual relationship but without any trace of love
    Again, the woman might want to punish him for his being unfaithful to her. And the best way to punish him is to have him with her but not show the love or respect which was there earlier.
    A more prosaic reason is that the lady might want him as the naam ke vaasthe father of the kids. Just to spare the children the uncomfortable questions about her father.
    sridhar