1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Accountant And A Prostitute!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Jul 2, 2007.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varalotti Sir:

I am relatively new to IL. So, there is no reason for you to know me. I have been reading up posts here very gradually. And I arrived at your forum this evening.

The first story I read moved me deeply. Quite apart from the particular woman (lady) you've described, she was superbly portrayed to say the least, I began to recall the fact that a good deal of Indian classical music has survived on account of the so called fallen women. Vocal music as well as the dance form.

I also remembered the intoxicating movie Shankaravaranam. I have watched it many times and each time it has raised me a step upwards along the ladder of civilization.

Thank you so much for sharing this tale with us.

ojaantrik

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ojaantrik Sir,
    Welcome to my forum. I have heard a lot about you and your writings; but only today I did have the honour of being visited by you and being blessed by your kind fb.

Sir, you should be elder to me. So please call me sridhar or varalotti.

This is a real life incident and this happened even before I started my career as a writer in 1998. This moved me deeply and I have included in one of my books as well.

You are right about the observations of the so called 'fallen women'. I feel that men who seek the company of such women be described as fallen. These women were mainly forced into such a state by circumstances beyond their control.

I wrote another story The Scandal making a 'fallen woman' the real heroine. The story was published in a popular daily here and I have also posted it here in the site.

that's a nice way of putting it. I love it.

love,
    sridhar

3. rr99

rr99 Senior IL'ite

Very Illuminating Post Varalotti, I realise the word prostitute is way more attention grabbing, but you've kinda convinced me why the term commercial sex worker is much more respectful in addressing women in this profession. After all when referring to you in person, everyone refers to you by your name & not your profession, so why shd it be any different for them? & no one (except, perhaps, those with a nymphomaniac tendency ( in which case it wd be a pathological condition, like seizures & hence potentially treatable)) would willingly sacrifice their dignity & self respect to enter this profession willingly.
    hats off to your chivalrous attitude.

4. varalotti

Thanks rr. You are write about the usage of the words. I used that derogatory word just to grab the attention of our members.
    The central idea of this post is that few things in life are black and white. They are all different shades of grey and that makes life much more interesting. As Jeffrey Archer would have said (courtesy his latest novel) she is more a prisoner of birth than a criminal. I would rather have somebody of her stature as my friend than my other professional friends who were ready to betray me.
    Welcome to this forum rr. I am now writing a serial Love All which is the story of this site. Here's the link to the first episode. Read it and if you like it you may read the other episodes. I have posted up to 12.
    love,
    sridhar

5. rr99

rr99 Senior IL'ite

Welcome to this forum rr. I am now writing a serial Love All which is the story of this site. Here's the link to the first episode. Read it and if you like it you may read the other episodes. I have posted up to 12.

I did read it before typing my previous post, very beautiful way of putting it, I do hope most men at least feel that way sooner rather than later, (before their wives give up on hope trying to conform to self interest conforming interpretation of our glorious Indian Culture by some of the old fogies) even if they do not express it so openly..

6. varalotti

thanks RR for the nice comments. Oh, so rr means rambling rose. Very poetic.
    Looking forward to interacting with you in these forums.
    love
    sridhar

7. uncannybal

uncannybal Senior IL'ite

Such a well written piece ! When u say fallen woman it reminds me of a project my sister, who is a social worker, was involved with. She was assigned a project to rehabilitate prostitutes by giving them decent jobs. So they chose a bunch of prostitutes who claimed to want to live a 'decent' life and found them jobs in large companies. But none of these women wanted to remain cooped in an office all day ! They wanted the thrill of their old job and the easy working hours ! So not one of the women remained in their new 'respectable' positions and simply went back to being prostitutes

Santosh

8. varalotti

That's an interesting piece of information, Santhosh. It is very difficult to think of a reformation project for sex workers. Honestly I don't blame them here.
    You see all my working life I have been an accountant. Let's assume that by a strange quirk of fate all "accountancy" is declared illegal and to reform us "fallen accountants" big IT jobs are give to all of us. I am quite sure that most of us would run away from our jobs and would rather practise the illegal accounting profession underground.
    Not that an accountan'ts job is easy and an IT job is difficult. We are just used to, addicted to accounts and hence everything else will be a irksome botheration for us.
    I am sure this holds good for any profession.
    love,
    sridhar

9. Radhica

Radhica Silver IL'ite

Hi varalotti

I was a bit shocked to see the title and then by reading the post.....By title because this forum is a well visited one by women from all over the world...then I thought maybe the contents would say somehting else..and yes I was right...I have to say, you re affirmed my belief that you should never judge people just by their appearance/profession etc...Many times you will find people with a golden heart when you least expect them to be..though your friend were well educated and belonged to good families, their moral values were too low...whereas the call girl had a bad name but her values were far better than the others...

10. varalotti

Hi Radhika,
    I wrote the post only to tell the world that appearances are the most deceptive. I have seen priests earning in millions working in big temples act in a cheap way.
    Recently we went to a temple near Mysore. There were snakes in the sanctum sanctorum and we had to stand outside and have dharshan. A sweeper lady used a mirror to reflect the sunlight so that we had an excellent dharshan.
    I offered her money. Because she had to stand in the sun holding a heavy glass. She bluntly refused. She refused to make that as an commercial activity.
    Let's not lose hope. There are still good people in this world.
    thanks for coming in, Radhika.
    sridhar