1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Amulet's Coffee

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Amulet, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

A Madras Filter (or...Vietnamese Filter) is also available in Ceramic.

upload_2019-1-29_20-41-7.png

When assembled up it looks like:
    upload_2019-1-29_20-41-55.png

Viswamitra likes this.
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I see that amazon has a good coffee roaster on sale:

upload_2019-1-29_20-56-25.png

3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Lots of times, restaurants in forin can serve a posh coffee. Like the one in the picture here. But then, it will never be like a Kumbakonam coffee, or what I make at home in the mornings.

upload_2019-1-29_22-17-31.png

A stable foam in a black coffee (no milk/cream) is considered "a thing" in Turkish/Greek/Ethiopian coffee servings.

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Assuming it hasn't been posted already, this short video deserves a place on this thread.

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I looked this up, and what do I find in the Amazon Q&A? :yikes:

What's the wattage? Has anyone used it for coffee?
    Answer:
    It's not the correct type for coffee. This type has a screen on the bottom that the hot air comes up through. This burns the beans at the bottom. You need a West Bend Air Crazy No. 82416*. That model has the hot hair circulating from vents on the side of the chamber. This makes for excellent coffee roasting.

*Twice as expensive, with one bad review, and discontinued by the manufacturer! Now what? :thinking:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Amulet likes this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

A popcorn maker (hot air circulating in the roasting well) does not last more than a couple of years if used for coffee roasting (several times a week). It is cheap enough to toss it, and get a new one. From a garage-sale, thrift store, or online-order.

One of the pesky issues with the popcorn maker is that it goes off when too hot, and comes back on when it cools down on its own. In electric hair dryers, we have switch settings for regular room air (fan only), low temperature air (fan + heater on low heating) and high temperature air. The hot air popcorn maker would be more useful if the fan continues to run (to cool the thing down) when the heater goes off due to high-temperature.

Someone had done that already on the internet:
    ........... What a masterful modification to simply solve the coffee roasting routine by changing one wire to another terminal.

By changing the fan wire to the hot terminal, so it would bypass the off-on switch and the fan would run all the time when the popper was plugged into the socket, is sheer genius. This means that the off-on switch, on the popper, can now be used to control the heat; thereby regulating the temperature and prolonging the roasting time of the beans.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Drink quality coffee
    Instant coffee can contain acrylamide, a chemical compound shown to be linked to cancer in animal studies. The chemical has also been found to cause nerve damage, according to the Food and Drug Administration. Research on the effects of acrylamide is still preliminary, but it has been confirmed that ground, filtered coffee contains smaller amounts of the chemical than instant coffee.​

In "10 things to cut your cancer risk" I found the above advisory. HOOORAY.... I have passed on my coffee roasting, and making to the kids, nephews, nieces and many many young friends over the years.

The 10 things to cut your cancer risk are:
    1. Cut back on the BBQ.
    2. Limit shift work.
    3. Avoid colouring your hair.
    4. Try not to use the contraceptive pill.
    5. Get out into sunlight safely.
    6. Drink good quality real coffee.
    7. Don't eat too much fish (if you are a man).
    8. Don't smoke.
    9. Rinse your brown rice (any rice) thoroughly.
    10. Do not drink beverages from styrene-containing cups.

Source:
    10 Surprising Ways to Reduce Cancer Risk | HealthCentral

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Amulet,

Of all suggestions, don't eat fish is a killer that too if a man. Can you share some more info?

9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

see "source" linked within the post.

10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Amulet - My mom was telling me that the restaurant style filter kaapi is possible only if we add powdered roasted fenugreek seeds to the filter. I’ve never seen nor heard anyone use it but Amma swears by it. She doesn’t use a filter at all. I’m the only coffee drinker at home so she gets a jar of sunrise when I’m visiting. Everyone else drinks her special badam milk or uncle’s tea estate tea. I’m really curious about the whole fenugreek and the smell it imparts to coffee. Any ideas?
    Btw - the decoction comes out thick for me these days when I try. I just never get the nice filter kaapi smell.