1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I ruining my baby's health?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by kadalpura, Feb 8, 2012.

1. kadalpura

kadalpura Silver IL'ite

Hi ILite moms,
    I am terribly depressed about my baby's weight. She was 3.4Kg at birth, following week she came down to 2.8Kg. Paed said on 10th day baby's should be back to their birth weight, but my DD was not. She remained the same. one week later Paed checked the weight and she remained the same. So Paed suggested formula. But my Gyn instructed to me to continue breast feeding saying that my technique is wrong. DD used to feed every 1/2 hour. Gyn advised ( shouted at me) to maintain 2 hours gap between feeds. Gyn and Paed had conflicting views about my feed. My MIL from day one was annoying me by saying that you don't have sufficent milk and my DH was in her favour saying that she has given birth to 3 children and she knows everything. My MIL and DH tried to feed cow's milk to my DD. I strongly objected to it and shouted at my DH. We even fought in front of MIL. MIL was upset and told something to my DH and he didn't interfere much after that. I had faith in my Gyn's words and followed her words, and following month DD was on target. She did good for another 2 months. On 4th month she gained 500gms instead of 600 gms. Still my Paed was happy and asked me to continue BFeeding. But on 5th month I was travelling a lot with my baby,also DD became playful and didn't take feed properly and I started to work. After that DD was on BF,expressed BF and formula. On 5th month, DD didn't gain any weight for first 20 days, but next 10 days she gained 200 gms. I told this to Paed and she said it's ok and asked me to start with semi solids if I like. I was not willing in the beginning as I wanted to exclusively BF my baby for the first 6 months. But then I felt guilty as everyone who has kids of my DD's age has already started with semi solids and they weigh more than my DD. So I gave her carrot puree yesterday. She liked it very much. All these 5 months have been nightmare for me. Everyone in my family(except for my mom and dad), MIL, SILs, DH and other relatives asked me start with semi solids/cow's milk/formula after 3 months. I strongly rejected and continued with BF. Everybody stopped saying that. But now I feel very guilty whether I was right in doing so. Have I ruined my DD health? because they say first few months are very important for baby's growth. If I had given my baby formula/semi solids, would she gained more weight than now? My colleague's baby who is 4 months and only BF weighs more than my DD. I am worried whether I have done a wrong thing in sticking to my BF idea. Please tell me am I a bad mom?

2. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Hi kadalpura,

No. You are not a bad mom. You did the right thing. Now Doctors recommend exclusively breast feed babies for 6 months, ie wait until the baby's digestive system is mature enough to handle other foods. And know what mother's milk is superior to any other food for baby. It has right amount of the required nutrients for the baby. *So you did not spoil your baby's health. *You actually helped your baby to be more healthy. Recently read an article that says some research shows waiting to start solids/any other foods until 6 months helps in preventing some food allergies in future.*

Regarding your baby's weight, it is natural for some babies to have less weight like adults who are very thin. It may be his/ her body type. So dont compare with other babies. As long as she is healthy/active/playing nothing to worry. Also after completing 3-4 months babies don't gain weight as much as they do earlier. First 3 months they will rapidly grow and double their birth weight by 4 th month. After that they tend to grow/putting weight slower.

2 people like this.
  3. kadalpura

kadalpura Silver IL'ite

Hi, Thanks for the reply. My baby is 5 months old and she is still 5.85Kg, she is not even double her birth weight. That makes me worry a lot. My cousin daughter was born four days after mine and She has crossed all this limit last month itself. I'm so tensed, because my DH will discuss everything with his family everyday. I will have to hear all sorts of comments if she is not gaining weight properly. my SILs daughter is 1yr 4 months old and my DD is compared in every aspect with her, which I hate to the core.

4. ansureeba

ansureeba Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

IGNORE OTHER'S COMMENTS... each kid is different. Don't worry if your baby is healthy and weight is your only concern. You are not doing any harm to your baby's health.

You can exclusively breastfeed your baby for first six months - breast milk or breast milk + formula. No solid food is needed. I started solids for my ds after 6 months only..

Regards,
    Ansu

5. priya4prabhu

priya4prabhu Silver IL'ite

Till datte you havent ruined anything.. just continue feeding her.. As doctor suggested you can start giving her semi solids... She started with 6th month as i could see... just once per day will do in the beginning.. do not force feed.. just leave it to her for the taste..

6. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

I completely agree with smile always.

Kadalpura,please don't compare with other kids.Each baby is unique.If your baby is active and reaching all the mile stones then there is nothing to worry.

What you did till date is correct and regarding the following months ,these are my suggestions from my own experience and doctor's advice.

1. Giving lots of carrot or food rich in vitamin A leads to indigestion in small infants.So,mix carrot or any other boiled vegetable with cereals like arisi kanji,parrupu water,soups.

2.Baked apple is very good for health and is rich in nutrients.It is good for the baby's soft tummy.Blanch baked apple and feed with a clean spoon.

3.Baked nenthran banana is also good and definitely increases weight.

4.Regarding cow's milk,first give a little as a trial and check for any sign of intolerance.

Don't worry and relax.

1 person likes this.
  7. kadalpura

kadalpura Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your suggestions.

@Kishoremommy: I didn't know that carrots can cause indigestion. I gave her thick fluid of cooked carrot day before yesterday, She liked it and finished it off completely, but yesterday she didn't take anything properly. May be her tummy was upset. Today my mom tried Nestum rice with formula milk and she didn't like it seems.
    I'm planning to give her nestum rice with water tomorrow.

8. nutty_witty

nutty_witty Senior IL'ite

Hi, dont feel bad. What ever we did is perfectly fine.
    Dont bother about weight, if she is active. Since her 5 months is completely, start semi solids slowly. Ragi kanchi, Fruits you can start off.

9. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

Hi, as others have said you have done the right thing. Every baby grows at their own pace. You can slowly start with solids/semisolids.

10. kadalpura

kadalpura Silver IL'ite

Thank you all for your suggestions. Sometimes it feels better when people say that you are on right track.