1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I Really A Humanitarian???

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Feb 2, 2017.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

IL has become my daily journal now days. I come here to share my feelings, frustrations, tensions and even do self introspection with all these wonderful people's participation.

Today I am here to confess. In fact, I am not sure whether it is a confession or self introspection. Let me share what I feel here.

I am generally a very compassionate person, who has empathy on other's problems and I try my best to be a good humanitarian. My profession further adds value to what I really wanted to do for the people.
    So, I go out of my way to help the needy people as much as I can. I gather like minded people to help me with this support system that I have created for those vulnerable people.

Since I am into this for a decade or more, my circle of people call me a humanitarian. I know I do more than what a general person would do for their community. Thus I am very proud about it.

Today, when I returned to work after my lunch break, I saw a middle aged woman vomiting on the pavement. She looked poor, and she was alone. She must have visited one of those government offices in that street to get done some work. She must be sick or pregnant... I don't know.
    But I saw that she was vomiting, thus looking very tired and helpless.

The humanitarian in me immediately wanted to get down from the car, and hold the woman while she was vomiting. I also wanted to give her some water (perhaps from my office or near by shop) and make her feel ok.
    I even drove my car almost near her, but I could not withstand the vomit smell or the scene itself. I felt vomitish and left the place immediately. My office is just around the corner, and I hoped to send my office assistant/helper to the scene and give some money, so that she could support this needy woman.
    I also wanted to check whether anyone else came with this women?
    She can not be a resident of this posh area. Which means, she came here possibly by public transportation.
    I am not sure whether I could accompany her to her place or at least give her some transportation provided I have meetings coming up.

With all such thoughts, I took my lift and entered my office room only to remember that my office assistant/helper has taken 1/2 day leave, and it was already informed to me.

Before even I could think of other alternatives, I was caught up with some office meetings and here I am back with IL.
    In the mean time, I checked the road via balcony, and there was no one. It means the women must have left or taken out of this place.

Sigh.... What a selfish person I am....
    What if I am in her situation, and the passers by were like me?
    How many times I was being helpless and received assistance from those strangers?
    How can I even think that I am a humanitarian?

Vent over

dc24 and Rowith like this.