1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I Pumping Correctly

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by HarikaR, Jan 7, 2019.

1. HarikaR

HarikaR New IL'ite

I have a 41 days old baby. I have flat/inverted nipples. I have tried nipple shield for feeding but my baby is struggling with to drink with shield. So , I have decided to pump exclusively and feed her through bottle. I have bought single electric pump and started pumping. Everytime I pump, I get 1 drop per suction or 1 drop per 2 to 3 suctions. With this, it's taking almost an hour to pump about 70 ml from both breasts per session. I want to know if this is how it is supposed to be or am I doing something wrong.

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

It varies from one person to another. If you visit YouTube with " how to use breast pump" you will be able to see many videos on this. I suggest you to keep on breast feedings and pumping. If this is your first baby ,it may take time to get used to it and for proper latching. I struggled for nearly two months to get used to it. Keep the demand up, only then there will be supply. Just pump for 10-20 minutes, not for hours. A breast pump can never replace, actual bf. Baby get more than you see through p pumb. If baby is happy, nothing to worry. You can also use, liquid formula to supplement.

3. anayasree

anayasree Silver IL'ite

Congrats on your baby!

If you are planning to exclusively pump, please first invest in a good double electric breast pump. Not sure where you are from, in USA Medela and Spectra are some good brands. Secondly, check your pump parts, suction strength to get good output. Ideally you shouldnt be pumping more than 20 mins per session. Pumping more often yields better result than pumping for more duration. It takes some time for your body to get used to pumping, so keep pumping at least every 2.5 to 3 hours to keep up your supply. Shared a link that helped me when I pumped:

Exclusive Pumping • KellyMom.com

VidhyaVi likes this.
  4. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations Mommy!

I agree with the above responses.

And If you are in US you can take an appointment with lactation consultant. Never give up on BF 'in unless there are some other issues.

In addition to BF 'ing if you were to use pump, then first of all it is up to you if you use one sided pump or 2 but make sure that when you are using one sided pump the milk doesnot come out of the second one. This is because 1 drop of mother's milk = 7 droplets of blood. That is so precious. And for any pump there is something called as "Massage Mode" either it could be a setting or low speed of the regular cycle. Please use that for first 1- 2 minutes then that massages all the milk tissues equally which helps the flow cycle.

Please bf first and then use pump, like @DDream suggested Demand helps supply flow.

Good Luck & Happy Feeding!
    PS

VidhyaVi likes this.
  5. HarikaR

HarikaR New IL'ite

Thanks all for ur replies.
    Am in India and am using Medela swing single electric pump. Whenever I bring her to my breast she starts crying as she is not able to drink properly. I have tried using shield and also tried to nurse her in middle of pumping session as nipple comes out little bit.

6. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

OP..
    Check the size of flanges. Get a medium or large size.

Early hours of the day is when you get max output. Try it at that time and see.

You need to be stress free to get good pumping output.

Try putting a warm cloth on breasts before pumping.

I have flat nipples, but baby latched as I had to pull nipples are insert into baby’s mouth. I dont want to give any more advices on this as you might have got already a lot.

I also pumped exclusively as I had to start working when my baby was 2 months. Took 2-3 weeks to get 60 ml each side. Till then it was hardly 30-40ml per side.

Remember you produce only how much the baby needs. Dont get disheartned by the output.

Very important.. use zero size or slowest flow bottle nipple for baby. This is a very key point. Fast flow will make baby drink more milk than needed which has its own disaadvantges like choking and also will make you look as if you are not producing enough

I hope you have supportive people around you. Join “Breastfeeding support group for indian moms” in FB.

anayasree likes this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The double electric medela Pump In Style Advanced is available in B'lore. I think that's the best for exclusive pumping.

I've pumped for a baby in the NICU and can understand your pain. Exclusive pumping is hard especially if you have to do it at the beginning itself without having the baby latch and create a good supply initially. Unfortunately, without a good double electric pump, it is impossible to drain the breasts fully. It's painful to pump and with a pump not good enough, it will take forever. The medela PISA can do the same job in 15 - 20 mins. Try to see if you can get that. I couldn't rent a hospital grade pump in India but that's what everyone in the US does to get their supply going in case of exclusive pumping.

Maybe your baby is crying because she is used to the flow from the bottles and isn't getting milk at the same speed.
    A good LC might still be able to help. I had a good one in the hospital. She helped me with my 7 weeks old micro preemie. I was able to exclusively nurse him with her help. I've seen her giving so many sessions in the pumping room of the hospital for mothers with different issues. I'm not sure where in India you are located but all hospitals do seem to have LCs on board. Not all of them are good but this one was awesome.

Ensure good water intake. Take lactogenic foods and ask your dr for supplements. The doc did prescribe lactare for me but it didn't help me much. The more I pumped, the better my supply got. Methi seeds, dill leaves, moringa leaves are all supposed to help. Methi helped a lot for me. People take fenugreek tablets but my mom made Methi Dosas for me. That's what I ate to keep up my supply during those early pumping days. Are you sleeping enough? Sleep and supply are related. Try to sleep when the baby sleeps and try not to stress too much about it.

LLL is the best resource on the internet for nursing moms. All of the things I mentioned plus more is available on their website. Browse through for exclusive pumping tips.

peddadas likes this.