1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I Not Smart? Or I'm Too Good

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Vedhavalli, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Hi friends,
    I'm here with yet another issue with the same apt lady.
    Neighbor Cancelled Potluck Dint Inform Me...and Did I Became A Target?

1. She called me today, morning said there is an emergency I asked what...It was just 9 am, my dh and dd just left to office n school. I was yet to have bath and breakfast and cook lunch.
    I asked again, her voice was panicked..
    So just locked my house and rushed to her house.
    Just to see ( how stupid idiot i'm) she and her elder one were ready for playschool.
    I was called to look after her second one 7 months baby, who was sleeping... Though the baby had light fever.
    I couldn't say no (my heart doesn't say no)
    So was there till she came back. 1 hour
    I had delay in cooking, cleaning and doing laundry... So messed up..With my day.
    I'm asking myself one question,
    Will she look after my DD for 10 min when I have to go to ATM or out?
    The answer is BIG NO...
    She is so crooked narrow minded...Selfish.
    She called as emergency, I ran like mad person to look after the sleeping baby.
    She literally lied...
    Am I too stupid to do this.
    I told my mom, mom doesn't know about potluck incident. Mom said, we have help each other in alien land. I kept silent.

Plus after she was home, was doing the sweet talk comparing my kid and her both similar age..
    How to avoid her...She is calling only to extract help from me.
    I tried not picking her call, she would call me 15 times or drop home, just 10 apt away..Checks for my car too..
    Tell me what should I do?
    Am I looking that stupid??
    @yellowmango @DDream and other exp fellows help me.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    greenchilli likes this.

2. Sneha999

Sneha999 Senior IL'ite

Hi
    I can understand your situation with your neighbor.I think you should give ur neighbor unrejectable reason when you need her help like "need to draw money for urgent sickness or like so.Coming to ,u helping her I suggest you help her when you can and without a hitch of hesitation reject her when you can't.Afterall I believe "what goes around comes around ".If u do good you will get good.well may or may not be from ur neighbor but surely in another way.

Vedhavalli and aswathyk like this.
  3. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Talk to her straight n tell her how u feel... or avoid her so she knows what wrong she has done..

Vedhavalli likes this.
  4. greenchilli

greenchilli Bronze IL'ite

Been there .I don't have a solution.one thing that worked for me is reducing the conversation to bare minimum.Talk but don't be too friendly and too soft kind of way.
    Some of my neighbor used to call me just to vent out their family frustration and mostly asking for some help.i help but just in case if I ask help once in a blue moon there won't be any regret on their side for not helping me.Thy make number of calls even if I don't pick up.
    My DH said probably I'm being too nice with all and i needed to be little straightforward.And say no.so now I do that.
    We give the impression to other people that they can ask for help and we will help them.
    I broke that impression about me.
    So you don't give impression to other people that you are a foolish helping person instead you help only if you can.selective help.
    I became thick skinned.Added a little stone to my heart.Learnt to say NO.Will help only if I am absolutely needed ,only if my DH agrees.

sindmani likes this.
  5. greenchilli

greenchilli Bronze IL'ite

Some people are brought up that way.they extract whatever they can if it's free.they have no regret and no shame.they are just selfish and only know how to extract help for free to ease their work.
    We can only change how we react or respond.
    Most of them if you analyze does not have a supporting husband or the wife is not ready to discuss with husband about these helps or ask for help from DH or does not have cozy relationship between DH and wife or no independent thinking.
    I have few instances where they left theor kid with my kid for play and the whole family went shopping without even intimating me that they won't be home.i needed to go to hospital that day and found their house locked.i asked their kid and she informed me that she was asked to play in our house till they return from shopping.
    Her H ,grand parents didn't fret about not informing me or asking my plans or leaving the child at another home till 10p.m .
    That was my last call and i changed my approach from then on .

sindmani likes this.
  6. Vedhavalli

Oh if could just to tell on her face

7. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

I want to ask you something. When she said its an emergency on call, Couldn't you actually ask her what emergency? Knowing her nature you could have got that cleared on call and maybe ask her to drop the baby at your home since you have some XYZ work which cant be unattended. In any kind of emergency its common for people to tell what it is about atleast briefly.

This way you could have been guilt free since you took take care of the baby as well as be clear that you didnt have to go out of your way to help such a person.

sindmani likes this.
  8. Vedhavalli

"" We give the impression to other people that they can ask for help and we will help them."" I'm really going to put these words on my walls at least for 20 days to by heart it. Thank you, you're right we think they genuinely need help..And do get back fired.
    My hubby says, first think and do help only if you're free. Going to school, by not disturbing the sleeping child is not emergency.

greenchilli likes this.
  9. Vedhavalli

I asked her, she said it's emergency just come for ten min I really need help. I asked 2 times what happened, what happened...
    I should have told her drop the kid, as in earlier post too, you can see she would want things to be door delivered... I stopped that food items...
    I told her too, I have to cook lunch , even my hair is not done. Can't come out, her voice was panicked... So went to get stupid title of the day

sindmani likes this.
  10. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Okay in this case, after going there, you saw what the emergency was about. You should have shown your displeasure about her behaving this way and shown slight irritation. That time, you should have said, Okay come with me,drop your baby at my home and come back ,pick her from my home. I have loads of work to be done and need to get XYZ before evening.

Only if she knows that you will show irritation and displeasure ,she will have some hesitation before saying emergency for such things.

NeetaR, sindmani, dc24 and 1 other person like this.