1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I Misunderstood Just Because I Am Single In My 30s?

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by pruthvee, Dec 27, 2016.

1. pruthvee

pruthvee Senior IL'ite

I am afraid that just because I am divorced, some people might be misunderstanding me as a gay or something. Trust me I am not. I feel because someone gave me a weird reply on facebook. I didn't understand meaning of her reply but feel like it was a taunt.

It’s going to be a bit long & I thank you for giving your time to read it and helping me. I’m divorced Indian woman in early 30s. If you’re using facebook then you might be knowing that many people share such timepass or fun link on facebook - like “who is your secret santa?”, “Your 2016 year review”, etc. If you click on those links shared by someone, it will analyze your profile and give result for yourself & give option to share on facebook. It’s not always real but people do it on fb for timepass and fun. My friend also shared one such time pass link. The link was saying "What will happen to her in 2017?" & result was “she'll get pregnant”. I clicked on the same link and result was same for me so I commented to her post that I clicked on same link & got same result for me. She gave me a weird reply and said that "I'm not involved in any matter" and then sent two crying smilies. I felt very weird upon reading that reply. What does that mean? Did she indirectly insult me?

She is also a woman and so am I, so how can she be involved in making me pregnant?? What did she mean I didn’t understand? I don’t want to give importance to her by confronting her but her reply is bothering me. Was it a taunt because I’m single or is she indirectly telling me I am gay or something? She did not give such reply to other girls who also commented on her same post that they also got the same results. In fact, she replied “Congratulations in advance” to them and also liked their comment. They why did she give such reply to me? Did she assume I am single in 30s so it’s weird or something. Please don’t say she might be joking or don’t take it seriously. I know it will sound weird to you that I am too immature to take such facebook comment and posts seriously but due to some reasons I am very much concerned aboout it. I feel as if I really want to know what she might have meant?

You may think here that I am overthinking but actually I am a woman in my 30s and am single currently and in such situations people often taunt you or assume about you. I feel that it has impacted me at my workplace. I’ve added many colleagues on fb. Usually I don’t share anything on fb but I feel that some of my colleagues might have noticed my comment and my friend’s reply. Next day when I went to office, some of my colleagues were suddenly giving me cranky looks and looking at me and giggling & talking something in each other ears when I passed by them. Then someone smiled at me and said, hey we’re not seeing you online much on fb. I was terrified hearing this. I am afraid if my colleagues might have seen that comment and now are they making fun of me or what? What do you think why she would have given me such reply. I mean what it could mean?

maddysweet likes this.

2. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

Op, you are making this all about you. No one has so much time or interest to care about any other persons life . If you have this attitude that people treat you differently because you are divorced you are only feeding your suspicious mind. The way people treat you mirrors what you think about yourself. I am sure no one even remembers that Facebook comment other than you. And why would anyone come to the conclusion that you are gay based on one comment and even if they do, why do you care?

3. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

I relate to your situation but my point of view with regards to your friend's comment is that it was a silly comment meant to be funny and harmless. I could not see anything taunting or mocking. I think she meant that she was not involved in any hanky-panky to result in a pregnancy...and hence the crying smilies (actually it means laughing till one has tears in one's eyes). If you feel troubled or really want to know what she meant just ask her directly in person in a casual , cheerful way. If you ask her online she may type yet another crypic hard to understand comment.

About your colleagues again it is a harmless remark. Nothing to be read into.

I think it may be your own view of being a divorcee that may be coloring your perception of how others talk or behave with you.

Nothing sexier than a newly single woman who has decided to get rid of the shackles of a bad marriage. It shows that she is making a statement of who she is, what she will & wont put up with. Thats how i see a divorcee. Not some miserable woman meant to be pitied or mocked. Infact in this day and age it will not be uncommon to see women lacking the courage to leave their own miserable unions, being secretly envious of a newly minted divorcee.

So, chill. Dont overthink unless you are explicitly told something offensive. When in doubt dont hesitate to ask what she/he meant. People making sidey remarks may be embarassed enough to back off. People making innocent remarks will clarify their point.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  4. madras2018

Oh btw was your friend single or married ? And were these her exact words ?

"I'm not involved in any matter:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:" ?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  5. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

Okay my assumption: either of you or both of you are Telugu speaking. 'Don't involve me, I am innocent ' is a popular comedy dialogue from a decade old movie. In all probability, she just meant in lighter vein that she doesn't know why the app is just predicting pregnancy to all who click on it. That's why the smilies follow.

As for your colleagues, I guess you are already thinking too much about the fb post and so misunderstood their behavior/questions.

All this is JMO. But even if it's a wrong guess, would still advice you to chill. Don't think too much about unnecessary stuff.

Above is the comedy scene for you to enjoy :)

sindmani likes this.
  6. anuyogam1988

anuyogam1988 Gold IL'ite

If something bothers you just reply back to them and ask what do they mean. But do not take social media comments and behavior seriously. People behave weirdly in social media.

sindmani likes this.
  7. pruthvee

pruthvee Senior IL'ite

Thank you so much for helping me. She is married and have one kid. Yes, those were her exact words

sindmani likes this.
  8. pruthvee

pruthvee Senior IL'ite

Thank you for your reply. She is not telegu speaking nor am I.

sindmani and dnormx01 like this.
  9. madras2018

It is likely that because you pointed out that you too got the same result as her, she is trying to say that she did not rig the link/she is not involved in a prank on you / had no part to play in the outcome of the link. The laughing smilies were because she too found it funny and it looked like a prank.

Not sure if you/your friend speak tamil where sometimes "matter" is slang for some personal hanky panky stuff. But it may also be loosely used to mean some shenanigans or secret/shady activities which is what she is really refering to.

Lastly let me tell you - these days topics like homosexuality are tabboo for being made fun of. Sensible & educated people and women esp are usually careful to be politically correct in public & online. So i do think it wld be far fetched for your friend to have made gay jokes or reference publicly.

Relax :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  10. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

I think you got way too much time on your hand to read too much into something somebody may have worded poorly. You could have thanked her and said thanks for wishing me to be remarried in 2017!

Chill!

sindmani and guesshoo like this.