1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I Expecting Too Much From Dh?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by BeingSoulful, Oct 8, 2018.

1. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

here is the tip. though you might be already aware of it.

unless you are driving in new york city or jersey city ( still most follow ) , driving car in usa almost as close to reading the book for license exam. i mean most of the drivers follow rules and as long as you stick to it, it is very easy. speed limits are followed by most of the people.

why do i say, i personally experienced, the books says stop at a yield sign. I had been sometimes over confident and did not stop, i almost would have an accident .

another tip in highway, i used to panic and sometimes cry when i missed my exit while coming home. then as i got more experienced, it does not look like a big deal. missed an exit, goto next exit and IF you are going NORTH, take south . GPS too almost recalculates.

also don;t ever practise with you hubby. :) . i was almost planning to divorce my H during that phase . Men are good drivers it is just biological. my H calculates so many stuff, he see how the other cars are behaving in front of him, blind spots. analyses speed. all almost subconsciously while listening to music and talking to me.
    so your H is though concerned about your safety but he is going to be your biggest critic and really annoying, till you master driving.
    just dont do it in this condition. not worth it sometimes gets a lot of fight

2. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

Everything which the person above has said , especially about missing an exit . Also, when I had just started driving on my own , I had set the settings to " avoid highways" in google maps . Although it used to take me longer to get to the destination but it helped me gain confidence and soon , I was driving on 70 mph highways .
    Many people fail in behind the wheel tests many times . Don't let that affect your confidence . Go to the same DMV office you went last time , you will already have an idea of the roads the instructor will take you.You will probably pass the second/ third time around .
    One more thing , you don't need 2 cars to get your DL. What if you'd need to go somewhere once the baby's here? Having a DL will enable you to drop your H to his workplace and go to pediatrician's / Ob - gyn/ Babies R Us / park ( I hope you are not planning on spending your entire maternity leave indoors ).It opens so many roads ( pun intended ).
    Best of luck !

3. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Driving is not to be taken lightly specially on highways with faster speed limits. Take baby steps. Start with local roads . Practice lane changes, identifying blind spots , following rules to the point where there is no confusion. Only then venture on the highways.
    Most western worlds function on the assumption that everyone has a car and knows how to drive. You will regret not driving when your kids are in school and have to start with extracurricular activities. Don’t let your child miss out on opportunities because of your fear. You will thank your husband that he put his foot down and forced you to drive .
    Make sure this fear is taken care of before the baby is here. You can do it !

lavani and alady2018 like this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Like others suggested, now is the best time to get the lessons and get the driving license. You dont have to take the highway right away; start with local roads; it may take you longer to reach work and home but you will get there.
    Get your lessons and license. Now is the time, After the baby, you wont have time.

5. BeingSoulful

BeingSoulful Silver IL'ite

I want to thank each one of you for all your kind words, motivation & input. This was much needed in this place of unknown. So I took some classes from a new instructor last week, hubby was getting all worried up again. But I simply asked him to stay away from this, but did some practicing with him this weekend. Today waited 2hrs in DMV to give the road test & here FINALLY I cleared it. Yay!!!! :)

I am so happy, this is a big relief & will help ease the tension between us. I will soon start looking for a second car so I can regularly drive & be more confident.

Thank you again for all your support.

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

thats wonderful news! keep practising and yuou will be just fine :)

BeingSoulful likes this.
  7. BeingSoulful

BeingSoulful Silver IL'ite

Thank you Rakhii :)

8. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Great news @BeingSoulful Congratulations on conquering your fear . What a relief

BeingSoulful likes this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations @BeingSoulful! I’m sure you will revisit these memories sixteen years from now when the baby is learning to drive.

Keep driving and going to stores and places nearby. In time, you will be able to get anywhere by yourself.

BeingSoulful likes this.
  10. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Great news @BeingSoulful . Congratulations.
    You can get a second car and use that to practice. In my experience, going to any local store with large parking lot (eg: walmart) will help you learn how to park well, get an idea about the dimension and will remove your fear. Try local roads. Having a car, will give immense freedom and confidence.
    Wishing you also a happy pregnancy and delivery.

BeingSoulful and rosylife like this.