Alugadda Nilva Pacchadi / Potato Pickle

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by gtpoo, Jun 17, 2011.

1. gtpoo

gtpoo New IL'ite

This recipe is from my favorite cookbook. Alugadda pachadi is just like mango or any other pickles that can be stored for a longer period of time. This pickle takes 3 days to complete. Very easy to make and aloo pieces taste just like mango pieces. So, thought of sharing it. Please post your comments on this pickle.

Ingredients:
    red potato – 4
    tamarind – big lemon size
    oil - 1/4 cup
    red chillies – 2
    garlic – 2 whole bunches
    mustard - 1 tsp
    chana dal - 1 tsp
    urad dal - 1 tsp
    turmeric – 1/4 tsp
    salt - 2.5 tsp (as per taste)
    red chillie powder - 2 tsp
    fenugreek seeds powder - 1.5 tsp

Method:

Wash potatoes and wipe them with dry cloth and keep aside. Take tamarind, clean and remove the seeds, make a ball size shape and keep aside. Cut the potatoes into big pieces along with the skin, just like mango pickle pieces, wipe them dry and put them in a glass container. Add some oil, salt, chillie powder, turmeric, garlic cloves, mix them thoroughly and place the tamarind in the center of the potato pieces and cover the lid and keep aside for 3 days.

After 3 days, squeeze the tamarind onto the potato pieces and throw the dry part out. Mix the tamarind pulp, check the salt and chillie powder taste, u can add some if u want. Heat remaining oil in a pan, add red chillies, mustard, chand dal, urad dal, crushed garlic, fenugreek powder, mix it and allow it to cool down.

Add the cooled tadka to the potato pieces and mix them thoroughly. A nice aroma wanders through kitchen. Transfer onto a glass jar and keep it in refrigerator after 2 or 3 days for longer usage. Tastes good in rice and breakfast items.

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai,

who will say NO to Potato my dear IL. Nice and sumptuous recipe. pls share more

3. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the recipe.

> place the tamarind in the center of the potato pieces and cover the lid and keep aside for 3 days.

I assume that the above is at room temperature, i.e., not inside a fridge.

> Can we use Tamcon (tamarind concentrate) in this recipe?

4. gtpoo

gtpoo New IL'ite

Thank you Sreemanavaneeth, for encouraging me. I will definitely post more recipes.

Thanks Sojourner, it is at room temperature only, not refrigerator. We can't use the tamarind concentrate as this pickle is for longer storage.

If u want to try instantly, take 1 potato and mix the tamarind concentrate and keep aside atleast for overnight or 8 hrs and do the remaining process.

5. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Hello Poornima,

Very unique and yummy one there:thumbsup

I went through almost all your posts and just summing up the comment here as potato is one of my favourites too:)

Keep rocking Poornima!!

Cheers,

Saras

6. gtpoo

gtpoo New IL'ite

Thanks Saras for reading all of my posts and encouraging me.

7. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Obviously you are a great cook. I wish I can take some cooking lessons from someone like you. Unfortunately, you live too far from me.

8. gtpoo

gtpoo New IL'ite

Thanks. I'll post some simple one's yet tasty too, please try some.