Alternative To Basmati Rice In Fried Rice/ Biryani

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by luvmygirlnbean, Jan 6, 2017.

1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Not related to your question, but if it is a potluck, don't count a 100 heads. Make it for say, 1/2 that number because in a potluck, since there are many dishes, people will not eat a full portion. They may just ladle a spoonful or 2 because it is not conducive to eat large portions in a potluck, self-serving setting.

JustAnotherMom and anika987 like this.
  2. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@luvmygirlnbean, I use Texmati® when I can't get to the Indian store. It is a cross between Basmati and American long-grain rice and is available on Amazon and in most grocery stores.

The texture is right but it lacks the fragrance and flavor of authentic Basmati. I also find that Basmati from Indian stores doesn't have that genuine smell of aged Basmati that I remember from India.

I typically add kewra or saffron if I'm cooking for a special occasion so Texmati works fine and nobody misses the Basmati aroma.

Good luck and I hope everyone enjoys the potluck. :)

luvmygirlnbean likes this.
  3. luvmygirlnbean

luvmygirlnbean Silver IL'ite

Great !! Thanks so much . This is helpful . If not this time , I would definitely try Texmati next time . Thanks for your suggestion :)

Amica likes this.
  4. luvmygirlnbean

luvmygirlnbean Silver IL'ite

Yes ! I am not planning to cook 100 servings of Biryani as there are many dishes . However the anticipation is that all will be able to taste the dish :) Thanks for your suggestion .