1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

allergic rhinitis

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by sathyavenkat, Feb 5, 2008.

1. sathyavenkat

sathyavenkat New IL'ite

Hello all,

Can anyone suggest any remedy in alternative medicines/ home remedies for allergic rhinitis? My son suffers from this quite often - Regards, Sathya

2. loveleen001

loveleen001 Senior IL'ite

Hi Sathya...:)

With the onset of spring and autumn many people suffer from various allergies.
    Individuals who suffer from allergic rhinitis/hay fever should see a doctor, but there are ways that you could adopt to treat the symptoms at home and help relieve them.

1. Fenugreek seeds have been known for their medicinal properties.

• Take about one tea spoon of the seeds and keep in a cup of warm water covered for about ten minutes.
    • Have this mixture everyday to help relieve your allergy.
    2. Another home brew that is effective in helping bring relief is,

• to take the peelings from a grapefruit and a lemon and simmer them in a little water.
    • Cover it for about 10 to 15 minutes, add honey to the mixture to sweeten it and
    • have it twice or thrice a day.
    3. Ginger is a brilliant remedy.

• A tea made out of the root, should be had every morning.
    4. Vitamin C is your medicine.

• This vitamin builds immunity and boosts the resistance of the body.
    • It relieves the symptoms and prevents recurrences.
    5. You could also try taking a herbal tea bath which would help soothe and calm the immune system and reduce the symptoms.

• An herbal tea can be prepared by taking two or three herbs like lavender flowers, calendula flowers or eyebright flowers.
    • Blend the herbs to make ¼ cup and add this mixture to 4 cups of water and let it sleep overnight.
    • The next day before your bath boil the mixture and then let it cool for about 15 minutes, strain and
    • Add the herbal tea to your bathwater.
    6. Hot water gargles are beneficial to cure rhinitis.

7. Avoid the use of nasal rubs and decongestants.

8. Consume at least 1 serving of any citrus fruit everyday (lime, sweet lime, orange).

Hope all these remedies help your son...
    Do update me..
    Regards...:)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  3. jhonearcher

jhonearcher New IL'ite

[FONT=Verdana,Arial]Allergic rhinitis is an inflammation of the nasal passages, usually associated with watery nasal discharge and itching of the nose and eyes.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial]
    Description of Allergic Rhinitis
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial]Allergic rhinitis affects about 20 percent of the American population and ranks as one of the most common illnesses in the U.S. The symptoms occur in the nose and eyes and usually occur after exposure to dust, danders, or certain seasonal pollens in people that are allergic to these substances. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial]Two-thirds of all patients have symptoms of allergic rhinitis before the age of 30, but onset can occur at any age. Allergic rhinitis has no sexual predilection, although boys up to the age of 10 are twice as likely to have symptoms as girls. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial]
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial]There is strong genetic predisposition to allergic rhinitis. One parent with a history of allergic rhinitis has about a 30 percent chance of producing offspring with the disorder; the risk increases to 50 percent if both parents have a history of allergies. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial]
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial]Patients can be severely restricted in their daily activities, resulting in excessive time away from school or work. Millions of dollars are spent each year on physician services and medication for treatment of this chronic illness.[/FONT]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  4. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

I have been having this for quite some time.Thanks for the remedies.will try them.

5. nishashah

nishashah New IL'ite

Allergic rhinitis refers to an allergy that specifically affects the nose. The symptoms start to show when you breathe in something you’re allergic to. These are known as allergens. The most common allergens are:

• Outdoor allergens such as pollen and smoke

• Indoor allergens such as dust mites, pet hair or dander and mould (fungus)

• Other irritants such as cigarette smoke, perfumes, chemicals and exhaust fumes
    Quite a few years back I was also suffering from it. My doctor gave me nasal sprays as they are widely accepted as an effective way to treat allergic rhinitis. After using it for quite a few months I got cured. Although doctors could possibly prescribe different medications for it like pills, eye drops, syrups and even immunotherapy or allergy shots if your allergy is very severe. Nasal sprays are widely accepted as an effective way to treat
    allergic rhinitis. Nasal sprays deliver the medication directly to the problem area i.e. the nose. Since the medication reaches the nose directly, its dose is significantly less, which means that nasal sprays have minimal side effects.