All posts relating to Karwa Chauth

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Abha, Oct 19, 2007.

1. ruchi22jan

ruchi22jan New IL'ite

Hey Ritu,

Galti se ki gayi koii bhi galti maaf hoti hai....
    we do touch knife ti meake food in the night........ so tell her not to worry much..... God is great.. and he knows to err is human to forgive is divine.

Ruchi:)

2. RituMK

RituMK Junior IL'ite

:thumbsup Gr8 buddy.....thanks ....wil tell her your view....BTW yestday she went to Ganesh temple and offer a small pooja for tht .....I think our Sweet God Ganesh wil surly forgive her....:)she is a very good friend of mine , a very innocent girl ....I wish best for her....:)

3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Priyu thanks for giving us ingo about Teejri.
    Abha a nice thread, in south india we don’t celebrate karwa chouth. Can you clarify why is it that women look at moon through a sieve and not directly on that day? I searched in many sites but the signinficance of this wasnot given.

4. RituMK

RituMK Junior IL'ite

Dear Ami....

U know that Teej is also a very popular festival in north India as wel as Nepal...its a 24 Hrs fast without food and water and sleep...it is said tht on that day Bhagwaan shiv had given Parvati the boon that he wil marry her after her long tapasya....its very important for married as wel as Unmarried women girls...

Now your question ---why we dont see moon directly on Karwa chauth day? A very good question
    ....wel what I think ,according to the story of Veervati ...on which when her brothers wanted to show her moon ...they burnt coal and kept a round Chalni on front of tht so tht it can appear as moon....since then this practise started...

I request others also to answer this question as ther mighty be any other legend attached to it....

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear Ritu thank you for answering my question, but in another version of that story which I heard is the brothers had kept a mirror amidst the tree branches so that when it shined due to reflection she thought it as moon and broke her fast:drowning

6. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Hey Ami,

My aunts have told me its because its a very special and auspicious night and it is associated with Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. Parvati breaks the fast by seeing the moon on Shiva's head.. and similarly, women when they look at the moon, they are looking at Shiva (the ideal husband) and should not view directly as it is disrespectful.. so its a double edged dagger.. women are supposed to look, and then again, they are not supposed to.. so view through a sieve :thumbsup hope that makes some sense.. :bonk

7. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Mrs V thank you very much for the reply. Yeah it does make some sense, but still then when we worship Shiv we watch the idol directly right?

8. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

i think the idol is different from the the actual "being" itself right?!?! you break your fast when you see shiva aka the moon - so just as you were bow in front of an idol when you get darshan of an idol, after the initial glimpse, i believe most people close their eyes, bow their heads and fold their hands as a sign of respect.. so presume the same thinking applies..

9. Parvytakos

Parvytakos New IL'ite

Hiii!! I am Parvy, this is my first year of Karwa Chauth and i am not familiar temple or group of woman who do Karwa chauth..around NY area. So if you can please guide me the temple where you normally do Katha etc..?

Thank you for your time !!