1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

All About Spelling Bee And Similar Competitions

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Rihana, Jul 17, 2016.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Laks09, silento and Srama like this.
  2. silento

silento Silver IL'ite

Thank you @Rihana for the encouragement, will give it a try.

Not sure if I can mention in this thread, but based on your suggestion, I have signed up for the ReadWorks and Newsela websites.Both high quality, top notch materials that will help in coming years. I am working my way through them, getting a hang, definitely fits what I was looking for. Mucho gracias!

I also bought the 'What High Schools Don't Tell You ...' read through few pages and it's a gold mine of information. Nevertheless it increased my anxiety levels....so I went back and looked ..Duh!! you had already written about how to tread with caution and not get all worked out...

You are all like some invisible Greek Gods, Olympians, prodigious.....ok, will stop here. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

All that high praise is fine and dandy : ) but don't forget homework pending... :nono: write about FLL in that thread.

4. silento

silento Silver IL'ite

Yes ma'am :blush:...working on it.

Rihana likes this.
  5. Rihana

I read in the American news sites that an Indian origin kid, Ananya Vinay, won the Scripps Spelling Bee, but happened to find out only in rediff that the top 10 places went to Indian Americans! : )

Spelling Bee: Indian Americans sweep Top 10!

6. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Rihana, all competitors were Indian except for 2, of which one was American & another Asian (Chinese girl) .. we saw the competition & were counting & were super amazed!! The last rounds between ananya & Rohan were worth watching- it was a tie in my mind, both were awesome

Rihana likes this.
  7. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

I am not sure I am actually allowed to layout the ethnicities like this!:fearscream: Politically incorrect!

8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

LOL. So cute.... #6 Tejas Muthusamy is at the stage sporting a vibhooti and all on his forehead.

Frankly, even if my children had the aptitude for this, I don't think I have the patience or determination to support them through it.

9. Rihana

Ha ha.. you should see the ethnicity and other information they gather on college applications and other things kids fill out in high school. Also, level of education of mom, dad, what they do, etc. The applications and forms are very nosy and care two hoots about being PC.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Naari likes this.
  10. Rihana

I think it is a common reaction to admire the accomplishments we read about, and if they are Indian origin children, more so perhaps. After that we think 'what if my child..' or 'why can't my child..' or 'wow.. my child would never..' : )

I totally admire the hard work the kids put in - all of them who make it past district level itself. Even if parent pushed, it is an admirable achievement. But somehow, imagining my kid in that level of such competition leaves me uninspired. And kind of glad that they are not into spelling or geography bee etc.. It is a matter for a separate thread that they are not into any competitions. : )