1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Alhotii caves and blind fish

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shanvy, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I have always been bowled over by the natural beauty of oman, that is seen and also the hidden treasures..

For some time during my stay had heard,read about caves in Oman. No..just hold on girls dont start thinking that caving means you have to sqeeze through tight holes on hands and knees..

You will be amazed that most of the caves have huge passages like highways and also the underground is more like a playground(???where did i get the idea..)

So, before leaving muscat, last year wanted to see the much publicised Al-hoti caves, which were discovered by a trekkers/ cavers, later got the attention of the Sultan, then the national geography and lot of other people...for the blind fish.

Yes, you read it right, the blind fish whichi is know as Garra Barreimiae is a species found only in this cave and they are blind.

So, one friday,we thought we have to brave it..veda was not willing to take the risk, as it was steep, and the oxygen level was low, not advisable for a heart patient like me.
    But I promised, will stop if i feel it very hard on myself..but would like to see the cave.

There is a rail taking you inside the cave (The rail is the first for oman..). no cameras, phones are allowed. you then have beautifully made steel steps to navigate around. The inside of the cave was so vast, formed from acid rain, and the vastness bowls you over.you have to climb lot of steps to go and see the underground lake that houses the blind fish. you cannot touch the water. you can see those transparent ones just swimming in the water.

All that was learnt in geography some 22 years back comes gushing to explain the stalagtites and stalagmites and the beautfiully formed pillars to my children.

It was nature at its best. But when you see the top of this place you will never believe there is a cave underneath.

Then the blindfish, they just don't need ot use eyes..they have feelers..what is the purpose of eyes when the place is pitch dark right....they can save that energy for better purposes...

Let me not go rambling ........

2. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Shanvy

That was a lovely narration you have given in your own style. Felt like visiting there. Thanks.

Vidhi

3. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

"It was nature at its best"

Dear most Shanthi ma'am,

Very true and wonderful a description. You took me right there even though I have not stepped out of our sweet motherland, literally speaking !!

Nature has everything in reserve for us and when we explore, we tend to feel "great" being a "part of her". It was really a treat that you made us enjoy by those colorful photos. (taken from the net?? since you had mentioned bold that no photographs.. just eager!!! :) )

The transparent golden blind fish speaks nature's language !!

NB: Pl do take care of your health.

Thank you very much for having shared.
    Regards
    RamyaVaradharajan

4. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

wow!! awesome place to visit from ur blog and the pictures u posted.

5. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi,

The lake under the cave runs upto 5 km stretch... There are few enterances to the cave... But only one of them is made accessable to the public viewing... The area visited by us and seen is just less than 10% of the total caves... It is absolutely a fantastic place to visit...

The Oman Govt. has developed it as a tourist spot and promoting it... Lot of efforts is taken to maintain the delicate eco systems intact....

Veda

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Shanthi dearest
    I felt like I had made the trip with you..thanks for this great narration..and glad to see the photos.. thats value adding..Also special thanks to Veda thambi for the extra info !!

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Vidhi,

Thanks for joining us here. it is one of the many places to visit in oman.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Ramya,

It is a great place to visit. the photos are from the brochures you get visiting the place. Do have some that i have taken of the train, the entrance to the cave and all will post some later.

The pillar that is formed from the joining of stalactites and stalagmites, though read in geography, is a wonder to actually see one.

Thanks for the concern.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Madhu,
    thank you. Yes it is a place worth visiting.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

One more thing i forgot to mention these caves are called majilis al jinn (the meeting place of genies..) it was already spooky at places,:hide and the guide she told us there were genies.

This cave is the second largest in the world. If I am not wrong, the first is the sarawak chamber in malaysia.

Some underground caves have rivers, but this one has a lake probably because it is a desert