Aksharabhyasam

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by EagerForInfo, Jun 27, 2019.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

is it enough if only father performs aksharabhyasam for son or does the mother need to be present too. ??

Vinamra likes this.

2. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Also if I am not able to perform askharabhyasam before completing 3 years can I perform after completing 4 years ?? He will be starting school at 3 years.

3. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Reason I ask is my periods are irregular so I’m not able to schedule pooja at temple

4. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

So can I just have my husband perform the pooja ?

5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Customarily, it is the father or maternal uncle who does the Aksharabhyasam. So, yes, your husband can do it. Like most ancient practices, it has been traditionally defined as a male privilege. However, I actually remember mine. My grandfather, father, and mother all participated, one after the other, in the Vidhyarambam by guiding my fingers to form letters of the alphabet on a bed of rice grains. So, there is no reason why you cannot participate.

Ask yourself this: why are you performing the ceremony? Merely as a ritual because it is the 'done thing'? Because family elders want it so? One would hope not. You're doing it to bless your child, to invite Saraswati and Vidhyalakshmi into his life, to ensure that divine forces guide his path toward right knowledge and wisdom. Why would you not want to be a part of this important rite of passage, one that attests to the value we place on education? I would urge you to participate with enthusiasm. Find some temporary workaround to the physiological limitation, join your husband and bless your son on this significant milestone in his journey (although he does not know it yet!).

Good Luck and blessings to your son - may all high-stakes testing and entrance exams disappear before they are inflicted on him! :wink1:

:beer-toast1:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  6. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

I want to participate. But I am asking this question in the case I “cannot “ participate. He will be turning 3 in a couple of weeks and is set to start school by September. So I want him to get blessings of goddesses but due to the uncertainty of my ability to perform it I am asking here.

sokanasanah likes this.