Air travel with your infants and toddlers--- check this out

Discussion in 'Travel' started by manjubashini, Feb 11, 2014.

1. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

Travelling With Your Infants and Toddlers Then You Have To Check This Out For Sure.

Flying On A Plane With An Infant Can Be Stressful For Parents. Here Are Few Tips To Ensure Fuss-Free Flight, With The Right Preparation.

1. If You Are Flying With A Baby Under 2 Years Buying The Extra Seat Is Well Worth.
    2. In Most Of The Airports There Are Separate Lines For Families Through Security Checkout, So You Can Bypass The Long Wait. If You’re Flying With A Child Under Two They Not Only Get To Fly For Free, But You Get To Get On The Plane First .
    3. In Many Aircrafts For Infants They Have Bassinets Which Should Be Booked Well In Advance.
    4. If You Have Not Availed A Seat For You Baby Then After Take Off Enquire For If Any Unoccupied Seats , So That You And Your Kid May Have Room To Spread Out.
    5. Some Airlines Allow To Carry Car Seats / Baby Restrains In Which Baby May Feel Comfortable. Enquire The Airlines In Advance.
    6. Preferably Book Front Seat That You May Have Some Space To Spread .
    7. Carry Enough Diapers And Make Sure To Dress Up Yourself And Your Baby In A Comfortable Dress.
    8. Protect Your Kids Ear. If Possible Plug In The Ear Plugs And Cover It Up With Caps.
    9. Nurse, Feed Your Baby Or Let Him Or Her Sip On Something During Takeoff And Landing.

Now All Set And Here Comes How To Keep The Kid Occupied And Happy Through Out Travel here are few points

Well In Advance Say A Week Ahead Start Briefing About The Air Travel.

On Your Travel Day, Arrive Early At The Airport And Let Your Child Play Around As Much As Possible Before Boarding. Let Him Expend His Energy And Will Be Tired Enough To Sleep After Boarding.

Ensure To Pack Their Favourite Snacks And Drinks.

Ofcourse Keep Some Surprises handy With Which They Get Refreshed.

Feel free to add more tips . Happy Travel.

2. DrPreetha

DrPreetha Gold IL'ite

Hai Manju,
    Nice post...April i have to go home alone with my toddler 3yr old..Really worried as he will not stay without his father long.Usually my dh helps me manage him...somehow he will make him settle,wear seat belt and get him to sleep before take off...Dont know how am i going to manage without him:-(

3. daydreamgirl

daydreamgirl Senior IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I will be travelling to India on March 29th with my 17month old son and this is gonna be my first time with a child and I am panicking about the whole journey. My son is a very active kid and I have no idea how would I be able to keep him occupied through out our travel.
    If any of you experienced mom could share your experience and about things to carry it would be really helpful to plan my travel.

Some of the things that I checked with the Airlines (Emirates):
    - They would provide baby food.
    - I am allowed to take a 7+5 kgs of carry on luggage, however I'm planning to take just one bag
    - They asked me not to get stroller as they would check it in and would give it to me only at the destination! Also, they said I would be getting strollers during all my transits (but I'm afraid about the availability of the same). I am still confused if I should take a stroller or no.

Some of the medications I'm planning to carry:
    Tylenol for fever or cold
    Desitin for diaper rash (just in case)
    Electrolyte

Cloths and changing accessories
    Planning to dress him up in layers so its easy to change
    Planning to carry 3-5 pyjamas, socks, blankets
    Some wash cloths, bibs
    Sanitizer
    Enough diapers (20-30?!)

My questions and concerns:
    >Mainly food and fluids, what kind of food should I carry? How much should I be carrying?
    My son is used to fresh made home food like rice-dal, egg omlet, veg pilaf, roti-subzi, one of my friend was suggesting to carry idli's so I'm not sure if I could carry any of these food and even if I, I am afraid it would spoil.
    -He is used to rice cereal, oat meal but he doesn't like it much these days.. :(
    -How about fruits? How much fruits will I be able to carry?
    -What are the other snacks that could come in handy?
    -My son is not used to any other fluids apart from milk and water so how will I be able to carry milk? (again won't it spoil?)
    -Also, to feed milk I should be having enough bottles, cups and straws (assuming it would be difficult to clean/wash) which obviously will consume a lot of space so are there any other options like use and throw stuff?
    I was checking on playtex bottle liners but my son no more uses feeding bottles so not sure what to do?

For now, these are the only concerns I am able to think of. If any of you have any other suggestions please pool in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

4. Mullapudi

Mullapudi Junior IL'ite

Hi daydreamgirl,

Dont worry Everything is going to be smooth. With the active kids must to do is to have him play untill he gets real tired. this makes ur air travel peacefull and time to relax for couple of hours.

With the baby food. Carry homemade food. And Caution on Liquids . Donot carry liquids other than formula . They do Gate check & throw out liquids & formula may also be thrown at the internation stop overs for gate change. So beware .
    you can carry the party snacks ziplock bag and fill in with fruits.

And if you are travelling on Etihad airways they have On board Nanny service you can use that .

They have Bassinets if you baby is between required height & weight.

The Baby food would not be enough. they give you gerber jars or so. my opinion my daughter dint touch those . so I had give her homemade which I bought or the food which was given to me. your choice. they can provide you with warm or hot water when needed.

As you would be travelling night or so your baby goes to sleep. So less trouble.

Have a safe trip , peaceful ,worry free & Happy Journey!!

Regards,
    Vidya

5. anjananathan

anjananathan Platinum IL'ite

Hi ,
    I would be travelling with my baby around July first week or mid to US. My baby would be 4 months by that time. I have travelled before to US but not with baby. So advices needed on baby front.

Right now I am breastfeeding him (with little bit of formula if needed) but not sure of my supply after 2 months. Below are my queries

1. Right now, I boil water and bring it room temperature to prepare formula. How do i do the same in the flight? Can we take boiled water with us? Will that be allowed in security?
    2. If i buy bottled water, will airlines boil it for me and give it when needed. Is it safe to use bottled water without boiling?
    3. How should i carry the baby formula powder?
    4. How about breastfeeding in flight? What are the accessories i would need to breastfeed him in flight?
    5. If i save some breast milk, how to take the same with me in the flight and maintain the right temperature?

Please share all suggestions/tips that i would need to travel with 4[SUP]th[/SUP] month baby in flight. My mom will accompany me.

Thanks
    Anjana

6. jigisha321

jigisha321 Gold IL'ite

Hi Anjana,
    I had travelled to UK with my baby at 5 months and will suggest the below for bottle-feeding:

Airlines allow you to carry boiled water for babies in flasks. I carried two 1 litre flasks. Some international airports may check the flask content and water sample during security check.Carry steel flasks of reputed brands like Milton which will not suffer breakage.

Since you are travelling to US (longer travel-time)and you may need more boiled water, I will suggest you to contact the airlines and ask if they will provide boiled water in-flight.

Also, keep few feeding bottles with boiled and cooled water with you, so that when you add water to the bottle from flask, the water in bottle is not to hot for your baby to feed.

Remember to show all the feeding bottles (containing water) and flasks at the security counter.

Baby formula powder is available in tins. Either carry that or use a clean smaller container.Remember to keep the same spoon as the one which comes with the formula.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. AlicaHorsfall

AlicaHorsfall New IL'ite

Thanks for the tips, actually with toddlers we can't even travel with comfort because most of the kids can't stay on a place like plane they find it very strange so handling them is really a tough job.

1 person likes this.
  8. LauraShellshea

LauraShellshea New IL'ite

Thanks for the tips, actually whenever i travel kids are not the big issues, because i manage extra seats for them but my pet is real problem for me.

9. brianhogan

brianhogan New IL'ite

That's really good topic to discuss especially for the Ladies with babies less then 5 years, it become very difficult to handle the kids, its become so hectic and tensed when travel with kids on flights, but don't worry, there are many airlines which take care of these situation and now if you are concerned about those flight rates, then don't be because there are many travel agents who take of your travel expenses and make your travel worth remember like, makemytrip, yatra, superfares, ec. Hope this could help you out.

10. RamaniC

RamaniC New IL'ite

I traveled with my two kids to India via Us from Canada. We carried Milk, water, sugar, bread, chapatti, banana, biscuits, candy, fever cold medicines, and some new toys for them to play. We informed in the security clearance about liquids that we carry (Milk, water and medicines), fruits, and the snacks are for kids. They examined the Milk and gave it back and took only apple as it was not allowed, and did not check the snacks. In the flight we requested to give the warm milk because the milk i took from my home could be used only within 4-5 hrs.
    Yes, We also had some tough time managing my 3 yrs old as she could not stay at one place for longer time, and walking to and fro in the flight and cried frequently. All kids in the flight were also did the same so we are not alone having the issue :).
    We found the food items that we carried was sufficient for kids because thought that they do not like the flight food and if they hungry and not having the food, they become more cranky.
    Hope this helps!!