Air Fryer Philips And Other Brands

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Nonya, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

[​IMG]
    If James Bond were to be on a diet, and considering eating some sweet potatoes (yams), he would say,"Boiled, not Baked".
    Glycemic Index of Sweet Potato
    The way you prepare sweet potatoes makes a difference in their GI. The GI of a 150-g sweet potato, boiled with its skin for 30 minutes, is 46. That number rises to 94 if the same sweet potato is baked for 45 minutes. These dramatic differences come from the way the starches in sweet potatoes gelatinize during cooking. Foods that turn viscous, or jelly-like, in your digestive tract have a lower GI because the gelatinous substance slows the release of the nutrients in the food. Baking your sweet potatoes instead of boiling them changes the quality of their starches and transforms this root vegetable from a moderate-GI food to a high GI-food.
    It is a cinch to bake sweet potatoes in an air fryer. You stab the tubers in a few spots (aspiration holes) toss them in the basket of the air fryer, set the temperature to 160˚C and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Until the skin puckers. Then one can peel the skin and eat it. Sweet, but not cloyingly sweet. High energy snack for children who'd just come back from school. Quick to make.

Not good for dieting grownups. However, you may wash the peeled skins (already heated at 160˚C to kill all the bacteria) and eat them. They are nutritious without the danger of high calories.

2. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

@Nonya

I am intrigued.. have never heard of an air fryer before..can you make fish fry in it?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  3. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I haven't done it. But others have... google "making fish fry in an air fryer" and watch a couple of youtube videos.
    Airfryer is simply an electric broiler with some specific airflow patterns. more at...Patent WO2006099394A1 - Air fryer
    Claim 1 of that patent describes how hot-air is coming at the food from both top and the bottom, and therefore subjects the food to cook.
    In my opinion the air fryer is less of a fryer, but more of a broiler. It is simply a fancy broiler.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    GoneGirl likes this.
  4. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Thanks Nonya. How different is it from a regular oven?

5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Here are two different accents...

GoneGirl likes this.
  6. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Thanks to @Nonya, just ordered an air fryer :blush:. For those of you who are interested, it is on sale at bedbathandbeyond for 160, and with their coupon comes down to 125$.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Nonya likes this.
  7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

GG..... LOL!
    While you can put the drawer and the wire basket in the dishwasher, you would need to clean the inside-top of the unit about once a month with a non-toxic cleaner. The recommended cleaner is sodium-bi-carbonate. Baking Soda. You can buy a big box from grocery stores. Put a couple of tablespoons in a squeeze/spray bottle, add water, shake and use that on the ceiling of the airfryer. I found in a local dollar store, a brush that fits a squeeze bottle. However it can be a separate brush also. squeeze some cleaning fluid, and brush lightly, then let it drip down. Once a month or, less frequently if you are not cooking too much in it.
    Here is my contraption:
    upload_2017-2-26_12-19-50.png

GoneGirl likes this.
  8. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

I was hesitant to buy it as people had said it was difficult to clean.. also watched a video, that describes the method just like you did..thanks for the info.

9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Usually new owners are nervous about standing the airfryer on its head. Done once or twice makes it normal and easy. Just spread a washcloth on the counter, take out the drawer/basket, unplug the thing, and stand the thing on its head over the washcloth. Then spray the bicarb solution into it, let it soak for half an hour, brush softly all around , put(stick) some paper towel on the "bottom", then turn it back. The debris and wash water will drip down for a bit. Wipe it off, toss the papertowels away. Then put back the drawer/basket and heat the thing at 140 for 10 minutes to dry. Lots of airfryer videos from the vah-chef on youtube.

10. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

@Nonya

Tried buffalo chicken wings in my air fryer, came out awesome, no longer have to go out to satisfy my craving for chicken wings!
    So quick to make and yummy!!
    Thanks for the recommendation once again!

Nonya likes this.