Air Fryer Philips And Other Brands

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Nonya, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Many of us are buying airfryers to save on using too much oil in our fried food.
    We are non-vegetarians. We cook steak, chicken, lamb and occasionally even pork in the Philips airfryer. It is best to make a quick, low carb dinner.
    A typical steak dinner for two would take about 30 minutes -- including cook and "rest" time.
    Four Tandoori chicken thighs can be made in about 30 minutes also. [not including marinating time].
    We make make lamb-tikki, on kebab skewers, and later use them in making curries of various kinds.
    Both lamb chops and pork chops can be cooked in it.
    The unit is quite hardy. The baskets can be dishwashed, and the top can be sprayed with bicarbonate water, let drip, wipe off and reheated to keep it clean.
    We have had it for about a year, and used it two or three times a week.
    It is a good thing to have for households with good appetites (teens) and impatient about how fast things ought to be served.

Vah Chef has many videos on youtube on how to use the philips airfryer. Some of his settings (time and temperature) don't work, because of the variations in your local meat, cut, as well as marinades. Overall his guides are good; but you will have to tweak a little.

Marinated chicken pieces are stood up in the basket, the basket closed, and set to run for 12 minutes at 160 C, then the pieces are turned around, and the unit is run for about 8 minutes at 180 C. Then allowed to sit, and rest within the unit for about 10 minutes.

upload_2017-1-31_23-53-2.png

upload_2017-2-1_0-16-20.png

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

First time I came to know about air fryer. I tried so many ways to avoid deep frying, looks like it stops at air fryer. Will research on it.

Nonya likes this.
  3. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

One of my friend has been raving about airfryer and asking me to buy. I been thinking about it, its just too many things for the kitchen counter. :( Will have to buy a stand to keep the kitchen appliance, then buy this one also :)
    They had good deals in kohls at the time of thanksgiving.

Nonya likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow.. I am beginning to feel like a caveman (or cave woman). So many appliances and things out there, and I know about nothing... already got InstantPot, a panini grill, and now this air fryer looks interesting.

OIL FREE ONION PAKODAS ~ Veg Airfryer Recipes

Nonya and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

If busy people can put meat with marinades in ziploc bags, and store them in freezer. The meat pieces can go direct from freezer to airfryer. A couple of meat tikki in instant maggie noodle soup would be a fast lunch, or afterschool snack for a child. This airfryer has the same "unwatched" cooking advantage like the instant pot. It goes off by itself, and the cooked meat always tastes good if it "rests" a while before you poke your fork in it.
    After the first couple of months, I discovered it is not a "fry"er, but a roaster. If something is deep-fried in the classic recipe, this "fryer" thing cannot do that.
    As a general statement, vegetarian foods don't seem to come out and taste like what one can get at a hawker stall. And besides, one has to baste with oil on the surface, and watch the things carefully etc.. too much hassle. I watched Sanjay Thumma, that vah-chef on youtube making samosas. So I tried this for the last T20 cricket on TV. Just too much work. It is easier to get the frozen samosas from grocery store, coat with a small amount of oil, and put it in the regular oven (so the corners, which cook too darn fast, dont break when making).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

So, for regular Indian veg and non-veg cooking, how useful is this? Thx.

Like, other than marinated chicken pieces, what could it be used for?

7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

For vegetarians, this is not all that useful.
    I like cooking steak in the airfryer. It has a nice drip pan under the wire basket (like your Foreman grill, but without having to look,smell, and babysit the thing while cooking. A nice (low carbohydrate) serving would be about a 150 gram steak (6 oz), salad, and a glass of redwine.
    Chops (pork, lamp) can be bought precut, ready to marinate in powdered spices, rested a bit, and put in the fryer to cook.
    Small pieces (nuggets, as McDonalds would call it) of pork, lamb, beef, chicken can be quick roasted on the surface, taken out, and cooked in slow simmering soups -- of various kinds. Such surface browing, seals in the tasty nature of the meats, and the slow cooking gets it into the texture we would like in the final dish. This concept is often raved about in cooking shows of all kinds.
    One can make kabobs within the airfryer. Skewer meats and vegetables in a nice colourful sequence, and place them in the fryer to cook.

Rihana likes this.
  8. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Been using for over a year, quite useful.
    Does pretty decent baking too. Except all that baking is really not good for me :biggrin:

Now to get my hands on the insta pot :hmmm:

Nonya and Rihana like this.
  9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Not good for bread baking. The crust on top is too darn thick. The hot filaments are on top of the food basket, and I suspect that when presented with a mass of dough, it wants to broil rather than bake.
    I have a bread-machine and I use it to knead doughs - for roti, chapatis, pulka, as well as for making breads. In my opinion (raved out in adda da hangout thread) bread makers are not good bread bakers.
    I am not getting iPot.
    Rihana said:
    Wow.. I am beginning to feel like a caveman (or cave woman). So many appliances and things out there, and I know about nothing... already got InstantPot, a panini grill, and now this air fryer looks interesting.
    Here is an adapted Rumi poem for a dialogue with your spouse, about how many kitchen appliances can make you happy:

Come to the kitchen hungry. There's wine
    and i-Pot'age with Panini Sandwich, and organic salad.
    If you do not come, these do not matter.
    If you do come, these do not matter.

Rihana likes this.
  10. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

This book of recipes involve the generic scheme "coat the cut vegetables with oil infused with spices, sprinkle salt, and roast in an oven". Written for the non-fryer or Air-fryer through and through.

One would toss the cut vegetables in the spice infused oil, and salt, and then place them in the air-fryer basket, heat high a few minutes to seal the surface, and heat medium to cook the innards of the cut vegetables without losing much of the juices. And then empty into serving bowl.