1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Age of consent for children

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by tashidelek2002, Jul 31, 2015.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I just got back from my yearly trip to Toronto where I visit my cousin and also my Tibetan goddaughter (age 10) and her family. Well this year we had some excitement whilst I was there.

The day I arrived my goddaughter had been vomiting (5 times) and complaining of stomach pain. They had taken her twice before since the beginning of the year to the doctor and been told stomach flu or possibly food poisoning. I was suspicious from the get go and if I tell you all the ins and outs of what happened it will be boringly long so here is the short and sweet:

Friday: vomiting and nausea and stomach pain and lack of appetite
    Saturday: feeling better and ate light breakfast; we went to a bird sanctuary and she was complaining a little
    Sunday: still not eating, still stomach pain
    Monday: her mom and I took her to the walk in doctor who ordered an ultrasound only. I asked did he think it was appendix and he said no. We got an appointment for the ultrasound on Wednesday morning.
    Tuesday: she and I made tie dye shirts while parents were at work
    Wednesday: parents to work and I took her for the ultrasound: tech in mid exam said she thought she had appendicitis and go to ER asap. Dad and I took her to the ER and spent the whole day (!!!) trying to get her treated. She had appendectomy at 6:30 that evening.
    Thursday: went home, doing great.

Ok so here's the part that was shocking to me: when it came time to sign the surgery consents, we were told that in Canada there is NO age of consent. Apparently a ten year old can (and did) sign the surgical consent forms. Amusingly they told her to please sign her signature to which she replied "I am ten...I don't have a signature yet." :) Having worked in a hospitable years ago, it was always a BIG problem here in USA when kids were hurt (sometimes badly) and a parent or guardian could not be located in a timely way and care was held up. But on the other hand, can a child really make a good judgment on something like surgical care?

Thoughts please.

(Anyone knowing more about Canada law in this matter is welcome to comment.)

1 person likes this.

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

In my country the age of consent is 18 but for example a surgery you do not fill in any forms etc. Usually the parents/guardians take the child (but sometimes it can be friends/relatives of course) and if the procedure has to be done no-one start to ask for permissions. If the child is left to the neighbor/grandmother/uncle for care the hospitals rely on that they have the permission to do the operation. I know that in US it is a big hassle because there is the risk of doctors getting sued.

Also if you are a teenager and need care (eg an abortion) it can be done without informing the guardians if the doctor judge it is the best interest of the young person.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A casual search shows Canadian law to be fair enough and well-described:
    http://www.cpsa.ab.ca/Libraries/Res/Consent_for_Minor_Patients.pdf
    It doesn't seem to indicate that a ten year old can always sign her own surgery consent.

I would expect for the U.S., in life-threatening emergency, doctor can administer care or perform surgery without waiting for consent. In fact, this might be a requirement?

Interesting to read though. Parents living in Canada may want to be aware of it.