1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Age Is More Than A Number

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, May 29, 2018.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

AGE IS MORE THAN A NUMBER

The realization came to him too late. All this time he was smarting under the impression that age is only a number and the fear of aging is in mind only. He was stupid enough to go by these softy words with lofty tit bits between the lines.

Well, he was suffering from cough and cold and a little fever which was nothing new and all these years he was treating it with OTC drugs with good effect. He never visited a physician for common cold. Rather would make a joke and say common cold goes in a week if you take medicines and seven days if you don't.

This time however it refused to subside even after two days, Crocine, notwithstanding. On the third day morning, he felt dizzy and fell down early in the morning. Got up dusted himself and hummed ' bin piye Mai to gira , (stumbled without having a drink). Head was still heavy and as he was trying to sip his morning cuppa, he felt like throwing up and he did.

It was enough for his wife to take him to the doctor. The diagnosis revealed high fever 102, low BP 90/65. Was prescribed some medicines and if no improvement in a day, hospitalization. While doctor wanted to watch a day more, children and wife insisted that he gets to the hospital immediately. Next day he was in the hospital under treatment for which in medical jargon is as under:

"Acute febrile illness due to viral pyrexia with postural hypotension with vertigo and Dyselectrolytemia "

In simple words dehydration that caused drying up of body fluids and thickening of blood resulting into low BP, loss of sodium and potassium in the blood. They put him on saline and other fluids administered IV for three days, took complete blood count and bio-chemistry every three hours and BP every two hours.

He was back home after three days, fully recovered and 50000/- short of bank balance not forgetting the physical discomfort. One stupid misadventure at this age troubled everybody. Added to this was the collateral damage of cancellation of our 15 days tour to London and Europe with heavy cancellation charges. The biggest consolation however is that he is fine now. In the process he learnt a lesson for rest of my life.

I am posting this with his permission, to all oldies with a request not to be as stupid he proved to be. Age is a merciless number when we grow as far as our body is concerned. It is both in our mind and body. Next time you feel like this sort of or any sort of discomfort, visit your doctor. At this age our resistance power takes a beating and cannot hold longer as it used to. The doctor is the best judge.

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Yes, 'age is just a number' is often quoted when it comes to counselling senior citizens , but I know most people know and can acknowledge that they were not as active as they used to be and 'age signs' do crop up over the years.
    Maintaining a balance between too absorbed in age related issues and caution where necessary, would be ideal. Your word of caution is justified!

periamma and sindmani like this.
  3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Who says age is only a number
    Age is not a number,
    It's really an encumber,

Those who say it's only a number,
    Do make a big blunder!

It has it's own peril,
    Lock stock and barrel!

It's the season of fall,
    Crumbling on the ground spall !

Memory at it's loss,
    Hearing at its base!

Vision at its low,
    Motoring very slow!

In spite of all the malady,
    If a person can be gaily,

I salute them and agree,
    For them Age is only a number!

I wonder if anyone will be feeling happy when all the above mentioned age related problems pester them. I feel only a healthy body has a healthy mind.

PS

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This brings to my mind Deepak Chopra's Ageless body, Timeless mind. A must reed one! In fact, it corrected several of my perceptions about ageing. A quote from the book - 'You can free yourself from aging by reinterpreting your body and by grasping the link between belief and biology'
    Sufis also warn against too much 'body orientation' .

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hariji,

This lesson taught us all that it is not only important to watch what we put into our mouth and what we fail to do. Even those who fast always drink water.

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. HariLakhera

Thanks for your comments. It is all the more important as medical cost is increasing every day. Any neglect may lead to serious consequences as in this case.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. HariLakhera

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. HariLakhera

All said and done, we are flesh and blood. No amount of reinterpreting or reorientation will help when it comes to pain and helplessness.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. HariLakhera

True. A systematic disciplinary regimentation is required at advanced age.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

If one has will power, he would long live overcoming seemingly incurable disease otherwise decease forever sure.
    2.My beloved dad, refused admission to hospital had regular gingerly oil bath and continued with all old village practises to which he always attributed his longevity. He lived 99 years 9 months and 9 days to be precise and arrangements for his centenary came to a naught .
    3. Hospitals in India might help such patients at great cost tariff being different for health insurance patient and most of the cure leads to patient turning to a vegetate life. Such great costs patients turn out unproductive till their last breath.
    4. I spent for my mom in a reputed hospital for repair of broken joint surgery early morning successful and she walked for awhile next day and the day next she complained effete and reached feet of the Lord.
    Hospital treatment perhaps hastened her departure to heaven!
    Thanks and Regards.
    God Bless Us All Always.