After 35 years and turning from age 25 to 60 is India still your home country?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by naazneen, Jul 19, 2007.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thanks Shoba,excellent work.

However,my very first post is missing here,guess we can't do anything about it.I too don't have a copy of the same.

Honeybee,Cheer,where were you all these days...earlier it looked like only Abha,Ragini and me were sitting here and defending life in India. It is so nice to know that you both too think on the same lines like us.

2. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Sunitha - sorry that I do not have your earlier posts - we are missing a few early posts and unfortunately, I did not have them and I guess no one else did - so, we have to continue with what we have.

Shobana

3. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Kamala,
    You just put in words what i go through every single time. When my kids were very young they too used to cry in alarm seeing me silently weeping. But now with my daughter assuming a haughty young adult air and my son putting on a teenager's I am embarassed by my family look and me silently weeping my husband says we look like a burra katha troupe:tongue .

Shobana thanks for reposting all the responses.

4. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

After reading this thread I could not stop to respond. This is based on my life experiences in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>America</st1:place></st1:country-region> over the last ten years. Looking back, I could not stop my appreciation what this country has offers to immigrants. Please don’t take it offense on what I have to say.

First of all neither me nor my parents had any interest in me getting married to somebody from the <st1:country-region><st1:place>US</st1:place></st1:country-region>. There was no financial motive for leaving <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> as my parents are quite well off. But, after seeing my husband we all liked him. We got married and I came to <st1:country-region><st1:place>America</st1:place></st1:country-region> nine years back. My husband told me I can get you everything here except for your parents and family. I wanted to have Telugu TV, at that time there was a Canadian broadcasting company offering Sun TV and other south Indian programs. It was little bit expensive, but my husband ordered the service. After it went out of business, we had Telugu programming through Dish Network. In many ways life has been very good and I began to like this country. What I like the most is that it is open place and gives opportunities as long as you are hard working. In <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> system is not free and bureaucratic. After finishing my engineering degree, I applied for the apprentice training program at a public sector company in <st1:City><st1:place>Bangalore</st1:place></st1:City>. It took 4 months to finish the process along with recommendations from a big boss in the company. Even then, you never had the dignity of work, as every body looked down on junior apprentice trainees. After I came here, when I had my first job interview, I did not know how to drive. I had my interview for 30 minutes and my husband waited for me outside. After I came out, my thinking was they won’t give me a job.
    They asked me a few technical questions, but offered me the job after two days. I did not even have any references at that time they just trusted me in what I said.

Let me tell you about my husband. Like me, he also did not plan on coming to <st1:country-region><st1:place>America</st1:place></st1:country-region>. He is also an engineer, but after finishing his degree, he wanted to become a scientist. He tried to get admitted into several institutions in <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>, but denied him admission, as he does not have a science degree. So, he applied for American universities, he got admitted several universities with full scholarship. Unlike <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>, this country offers the freedom to choose a different discipline or education/career. After completing his PhD, he had a successful career as a scientist. A few years back my husband quit his job and along with two friends to start a business in <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. There are so many polices and procedures, so much so they almost feel like giving up. Nothing is easy in <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>, we think we are spending our own time and money to do business, but the government policies and bureaucrats slows them, so in turn what happens they can’t do what want to do in <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>.

As far as friendships, it all depends on mindset. At my husband’s workplace, there were very few Indians. He had good American and Chinese friends. On the day I came to <st1:country-region><st1:place>America</st1:place></st1:country-region>, his Chinese and American friends came to pick us from the airport. Even after leaving my first place, to this day, we have wonderful friendship a number of these families.

If you don’t open your mind, life can get lonely. I used to feel that after we moved to our current place. After my second son born, I quit my job, and decided to stay at home. It felt pretty bad in the beginning then got bored, I joined a neighborhood gym. Now, I meet a number of ladies. I also learned to do bead work and gardening. With family and all the other activities, I don’t even have time to think about anything.

I used to miss my parents, After we came to know about online Video chatting. Now I do video chat with my parents everyday. I almost feel like we are in the same room, my kids some times play hide and seek with my parents.

Overall, my impression is this is a beautiful country, we need to be open minded to enjoy it.

Tulasi

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  5. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Dear Abha
    Yes we do echo the same thoughts. :-D
    Have you visited India after your marriage?You'll love and appreciate the changes we have undergone so rapidly in a very brief span.:2thumbsup:

Regards
    Honeybee

6. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Dear Sunitha
    Began concentrating on this thread recently.. hence the delay :oops: .
    feels great to interact with like minded people.

Shobana
    Kudos to your efforts in reconstructing this thread.

Regards
    Honeybee

7. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Dear Tulasi
    I love your approach about being open minded and accepting things with open arms.
    I do agree with you.. openings/scope for research and science are limited in India.:-(
    Regarding friends.. did you interact with the absolutely americanised desis?:tongue
    You have clearly indicated your love for India when you talk about Telugu channels.

Regards
    Honeybee

8. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hey Honeybee

Well i have lived all my life in India and had no plans of coming to US. I'm a DELHIITE, and have seen every advancement happening in the country that is why i'm so proud of it...

I came to US after 2 months of getting married... i had thought that after 2-3 months of marriage i'll start working in bangalore and stuff, but my husband was asked suddenly to go onsite and so i came here... and i really wish to go back ASAP.. as its not a very long term onsite... US has just me sit at home... whereas in INDIA I dont need visas to work or visas to study and no JHANJHAT, in switching companies... there we are free as a bird.

~Abha

9. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Just had time to catch-up with this thread. Thanks for the patient and neat work Shobana in reconstructing this thread. Much appreciated!

10. naazneen

naazneen Junior IL'ite

Hey there Shobana!
    thank- you for posting the messages. I really appreciate you trying to do reconstruct this thread. Sorry haven't written earlier. Anyways looks like the discussion is again turning to which country is better (ironic).
    Wanted to just write I had some very happy moments with my daughters playdate moms last 2 weeks( feels good to find some comraderie). okay tata
    ~ N