1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Afraid!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Jul 2, 2012.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Ram was cursing his friend Sundar, for not coming to pick him up. He tried reaching Sundar again, but could not. He hoped that Sundar could have been held up in his new building under construction. Luckily he knew the address and went there in a cab.
    It started raining heavily then. He reached and found the watchman Arumugam there. Arumugam was in late forties and stayed alone, leaving his family back in the village where he came from. He looked even thinner now, but had the same cheerful attitude. "Hello Ram Sir!, How are you?", he started. "I am fine. Tell me if Sundar is here first!", Ram said. Arumugam said that, Sundar would be back within an hour. Ram paid the cabbie and went in.

It was raining in buckets. There was no power and Ram's cellphone had no signal and Sundar did not come too. Ram realized that he had to stay that night there. Arumugam went out to get some dosas for him from a hotel, about a couple of miles from there. There was only one fully constructed room and Arumugam asked Ram to go and sleep there, giving an old blanket and a pillow. Ram went in after asking him to update if there was any news from Sundar and slept.

Something woke him up in the middle of the night. The rain had stopped then and there was a noise made by insects / frogs. Apart from that, there was a shrill note which seemed to him like a wail of a woman. He was afraid and checked if his room was locked from inside and whether the windows were all shut. Then he heard it again. He opened the door and using the feeble light from the cellphone, tried locating Arumugam. He found that poor man sleeping on top of old newspapers, just near the entrance. And he was sleeping so soundly. Ram spent the rest of the 'longest' night of his life sitting beside him. Later, he asked Arumugam whether he heard any sound in the night. Arumugam nodded left and right. "But I am sure that there is something odd here that makes me afraid!", Ram said.

"Thinking about my wife and little ones going without food makes me more afraid!", he said.

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

wonderful & superb rgs.

What else I can say??

3. rgsrinivasan

What else can I say Pallavi? A big thanks for your continuous motivation and support. I really mean it, you know? -rgs

4. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

hi rgs,

That was a sweet story. Such a loving husband and father :) Inspite of his cheerful attitude, deep down his heart he always thought about his wife and kids.

Nice one and especially nice ending as usual, like your earlier posts

5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear rgs,

Very touchy,

Ram was afraid of the rain, how to spend the night there, hearing some sounds, worried about himself, checking doors and windows to see if they are bolted properly or not, checking with Armugam about the sounds he heard. Whereas Armugam went in the rain, brought food for Ram, gave him a place to sleep, he himself sleeping on newspapers. These are not what he is afraid....he is afraid of thinking if his wife and children have food to eat or not.

There was a lump in the throat when I finished reading it. We think our problems are big enough to be afraid of.

Syamala

6. rgsrinivasan

Hi NandiniMithun,
    Thanks a lot for your crisp feedback and appreciation. Glad that you enjoyed it. -rgs

7. rgsrinivasan

That was precisely what I had in mind Syamala. Thanks a lot for your fantastic feedback. -rgs

8. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Nice one Rgs! I did have exactly the same views as Shyamala1234. Love the little message you have at the very end.

9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks a lot for your appreciation and feedback Knot2Share. -rgs

10. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Shyamala has summed up my thoughts too :)
    Semma story :)