1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

advise regarding immigration

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by vinoshia, Jul 27, 2011.

1. vinoshia

vinoshia New IL'ite

my husband have got a fairly good job offer in edmonton alberta, we are confused whether to move from dubai where we presently live , we are from chennai, india and thinking of long term adv/disadv w.r.t cultural effects from my 2 girl children 7 years and 1 year old.

iam not clear whether moving to canada will be good , my husband is convinced it will be good. I am not much convinced and feel settling down in india after staying in gulf from some more time (we are here for about 10 years now) is better.

request advise on the same since i saw many members raising similiar topics.

Thank you

Vinoshia.

2. pretan

pretan New IL'ite

Hi Vinosha,

I cant advise you to take any decision. But i can tell you the advantages and disadvantages here in edmonton. Im also from chennai. We are staying here for abt 1 yr.
    Advantages:
    1. There will not be any problem related with racisim. Schools for childrens are free, and if you become PR they will provide many scholarships and child care benefits (About 400 dollars monthly).
    2. Education system is really good, and childrens can improve their language and knowledge very easily.
    3. Cost of living is Okay. Rent starts from about 750 dollars for single bedroom flat.
    4. It is a pollution free city with fresh water and greeneries during spring and summer. It will be really gud during spring.:thumbsup

Disadvantages:
    1. Regarding culture, as it is a western country, we as a parents have to take care and guide our child in our culture system.
    2. There are some tamil community. We can become member. But the thing is, most of the indians here are money minded and if we talk wth them, they will try to involve us in the business. (Something like Amway.....).:bonk
    3. No one (indians) will come forward to help us in the neighbourhood. If they do any help, they will expect double from us. We should have our own friends may be in the work place.
    4. Winter will be very horrible here. From December till march the temperature will go till -25 degrees.:hide:

That is all i know and these are my opinions. By the way we are going back to chennai may be in april, as my husband's contract ends in march 2012.

Hope it will be helpful for u, and my sincere apologies if i would have confused u a lot.:bowdown

Bye