Advise On Taking Course

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Caughtinbetween, Oct 13, 2017.

1. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

GO For

AWS , Container based deployment ( DOCKER ) , integrating with AWS . Kubernetes.

since your background is DEV OPS . these are hot.

shravs3 and Caughtinbetween like this.
  2. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Thank you @lavani .... Elastic container service is a part of the training so i am going through the primer part of it it currently . Thank you for the recommendations.

3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I’m a full stack developer.
    I’m interested to learn Devops - Docker/Kubernetes/AWS/Azure/GCP
    Can anyone please recommend good certification course which adds weightage to my resume?
    I have already enrolled for Udemy.

Apart from that I am looking for something which adds more value to my resume.
    Like , without any project experience I want to shift my job in this field with just certification is tat possible?

Because most of the recruiters prefer candidates who have real time experience in such things.

Caughtinbetween likes this.
  4. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

there is no such thing as a real exp.

my company has a perf engineer. he was displaying his results in excel. i wanted to learn the above.

so asked him to share his excel.

1. build a node app to upload excel to mongo db.
    2. host that in a container

and 1. built a react app to show the results. and added graphs
    2. host that in container.

interact both containers.

this was a very basic app. took me 3 months.

pick anything . ( CRUD based ) .

once you are able to build this. modify your resume completely.

shravs3 likes this.
  5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for responding @lavani

6. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

I dont have a lot of idea about it . However from what i have tried , you can do AWS/Azure/GCP certs based on your interest , pro level would open up some opportunities i guess but doing some sample projects like lavani mentioned above would definitely help , also uploading that in github would help to show recruiters your work. You can use acloudguru , linuxacademy , udemy to go through the videos , whizlabs to go over the practice questions for certs , qwiklabs to do practice labs .

lavani, startinganew and shravs3 like this.
  7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

8. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Hi @shravs3

Like others suggested, much more than courses, getting hands-on work done with using these services to do a close-to-real project is what helps get a job in this area. Courses will be an "overload" of lots of new information which is hard to truly relate to until you see how these are being used in a good use-case.

Other things:

1. Join slack group for these open source projects if there is one. Just paying attention to the discussions and trying to make sense of what is being discussed will help you get curious and learn something new.
    Kubernetes is here:
    Join Kubernetes on Slack!

3 to 4 years ago, it was easy to shift to this area if you have some level of "systems" experience. But now the expectation is more because the field is getting more prevalent. To stand out as a good candidate - it would be nice to have a project or two - your personal projects done over a 2 or 3 months of spare time will be good enough.

3. Also if you can look at any simple "open" issues in these projects and try to get a PR accepted - that will surely make your resume very attractive. This can be a lot of work - just understanding how to contribute to open-source projects can take a while - but it will make you stand out as someone who is very dedicated to the field...

Here is the list of "good first issue" type of issues in the Kubernetes github repo:
    kubernetes/kubernetes

shravs3 likes this.
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

10. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

this is very true. there are lot of tutorials. but watching them is like watching a movie. unless you code and host 1 app in a container and host that container in aws. one can never know what are small small details needed to complete the same.

Caughtinbetween and shravs3 like this.