Advise On Taking Course

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Caughtinbetween, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Hi everyone ,

One last query for the day :)
    So recently I became eligible to enroll myself in any kind of a course upto two years or take certifications in few fields related to CS and IT . i want to take up this opportunity which I was long waiting for . because its from the company , they will pay a part of the fees every year . I was wondering about which one to go for like few options it has are web development , Information security analyst , AWS , Support engineer roles etc .
    Which courses would you recommend or certifications ? It can be both in-class or online .
    How about AWS ? How are the prospects in it if I were to start from the scratch .
    Any advises are deeply appreciated . It will surely help me a lot to get your opinions and decide for myself .
    Thank you very much for your time and efforts with it .
    Happy weekend .

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

CIB, can you share a little of your current skills, and the aim of pursuing a course or certification? Is it to be more employable, to remain relevant to current employer or a simpler one like you have the time and company is paying, so using the opportunity?

sokanasanah likes this.
  3. Caughtinbetween

Hi @Rihana,

1: My current skills and job :- Computer networking elements , Linux and network/system administrator, Routing/Switching , DNS, DHCP, building and managing IT infrastructure for the sites . been in this role since last one year. I'd done similar role back in india too. Have worked for about an year on .Net too but later had a gap and could not get back.

2: I want to do this to increase my skill set so that I can get a better paying job .
    However it is also true that I wanted to wait to be able to use the opportunity so that some part of the fee gets covered .

I actually purchased a few online courses for AWS solution architect Associate level from udemy and acloudguru in the last week. And going through it to get an overview and see if I can do it or not .

Honestly , my only intention is to get a better paying job. That's it.

As always I look forward to your feedback. Thanks.

Rihana likes this.
  4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

It is a nice notion, i.e., the better paying job idea. When the current employer offers you a partial reimbursement of expenses for continuing education, you are getting better paid, if that education happens to be (a) to your liking and (b) would get you to an even better paying job, you are on your way. To where?... you may ask.

How would you answer the typical interview question "where do you see yourself in 5 years?". There is help on the web to answer this: Where Do You See Yourself In 5 Years? (Example Answers Included) Check that out.

You have already expressed an interest in AWS. There are certifications available for this. For single, childless persons (both men and women) in the IT industry, the continuing education activity ought to be in a class room setting, if that can be possible. After a desk-job for most of the day, it is best to get out there somewhere, and see other people. One might even see people, who are good to see (paraphrased Yogi Berra in that).

Answer that 5 year question to yourself. Write down a plan for those 5 years. And then take the money your employer offers. Certifications are good for resumes (getting a job), Knowledge (courses) are good for doing the job.

Rihana likes this.
  5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Here are some general thoughts:
    Regarding courses, I think you should take full advantage of subsidies your employer has to offer. That sort of thing is best viewed as part of your pay-package. If you let it go, you are leaving money on the table.

I agree with Nonya that in-class courses are better than online if you can manage it. You will meet your instructor (who may have hiring power - I've met quite a few who did!), plus other people with similar interests, which is a great networking opportunity.

Since you are already an IT-solutions expert, adding cloud-computing solutions via AWS to your arsenal of skills makes sense. Technologies and details may change, but neither Amazon nor cloud-computing is going away. So, if you strike a balance between technology agnostic cloud-computing principles and balance it with one or more specific platforms, you will have a clear narrative for your career path and be quite marketable. AWS, Azure, Google are probably the easiest points of entry.

Almost all market reports project double-digit growth for cloud platforms. So, in the near-to-medium term, it's a good bet. Experts here can probably chip in with better input!

Good Luck!:beer-toast1:

Rihana likes this.
  6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

7. Caughtinbetween

8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

+ 1 to all that @sokanasanah and @Rihana have said.
    This approach is tricky and I would urge u to focus instead on honing ur skills and being more marketable. To that end given ur background I would recommend IT automation and cyber security in addition to AWS/Azure etc .

Rihana likes this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What is the difference between "getting a better paying job" and "being more marketable"? Doesn't one have to be more marketable to get a better paying job?

Real question, no sarcasm.

10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Its the focus. The highest paying job today may not be commanding the same $$ couple of years from now. Choosing the right mix of breadth and depth of skills is important for long term employability. This happens esp in IT with emerging technologies. Often times people pay through their noses for a very highly specialized skill/course which might temporarily attract employers . More often than not such skills quickly get outdated .

Rihana likes this.