1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Advise needed urgently - 2 yrs old kid leg got hurt

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by haritha789, Aug 4, 2014.

1. haritha789

haritha789 Junior IL'ite

Hi

My DH got some furniture from store. He just came inside the house with dismantled bundle of TV stand and leaned it onto wall. He was going out and I have opened door for him. My son seems to pull the bundle and its fallen on his leg. Just in 10 seconds time I lifted the weight (lil heavy) and picked him up. He cried for a minute and looked ok. So I thought its over He played after that for an hour and half like jumping on the bed and his leg looked perfectly normal. I fed him dinner and suddenly he showed his leg to me and could not walk properly. He does not cry loud but he is uncomfortable and moaning. I have applied some move and made him stand on hot water for sometime. He was walking still but not laying his left leg fully on the ground. He seems to be in pain as he was showing me his leg. Even now before he goes to sleep he was showing me his leg and moaning. I have applied some Move again and gave lil massage. He fall asleep now but still moaning of pain(I think). We have moved to new state and hence cant take him to paed immediately. So ladies please suggest me what I should be doing now. I don't see any swelling. It all just happened in fraction of seconds and I am repenting now for leaving him alone near the placed furniture. Its really hurting to see him in pain and could not walk properly. His leg movement and everything was alright. He was beating me with his legs before going to sleep and he is playing with his legs on air while lying down. So the problem is when he is walking only I think.

Expecting fast replies from all of you. Thank you so much.

2. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

If the leg is got swollen then there is some issue, but in your lo case this is NOT so...

It just a hurt with pain inside and will get normal in three days....apply gingelly oil on the part gently and do not press or rub hardly. Check his facial expr while massaging if still he complaints with pain pls go and check with doc imme.

Do not worry, it all happens at this age....

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It's best to err on the side of caution. Where are you located? If you are in India, just walk into a nearby clinic and get his leg looked at. Don't take any chances since something heavy fell on his foot.

Btw, don't beat yourself up unneseccarily. Children are bound to do things out of curiosity and although we have everything baby proofed sometimes, such accidents happen. My son pulled a tv on himself while I went to get a cup of water from the kitchen when he was 20 months old. He was watching cartoons. I had to run to the emergency room at 9:30 in the night with my older kid in tow. Even though I was there till 1:00AM and Thankfully, nothing was wrong with him, it gave me a lot of peace of mind. Just the fact that the doc looked at him and told me he was fine was enough.

2 people like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i would not apply or massage the leg. i will wait for the doctor's opinion in this case. hugs to the poor fellow. you don't need a paed only for this, even the general physician would do.

sumanrathi, i would not suggest ibuprofen to a 2 year old without knowing if the guy has any allergies. it is a complete no-no to kids who have wheezing tendency.

and i take this opportunity to putforth this opinion at least in the case of 0-5 let us not openly suggest names or medicines (OTC). you never know who is following these and many may not be genuinely aware of any allergies their lo may/maynot have.

2 people like this.
  5. haritha789

haritha789 Junior IL'ite

Thanks all for your replies. He woke up in the mid of the night out of pain and fell asleep after I gave him Tylenol. He woke up at 7 itself (not his usual time) and sat at same place(not his general tendency) he could not walk I think. I am in US and moved to diff state. So just looking for our health insurance to be activated. May be I will visit doc today.

6. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP, please take him to a doc and let him be checked. I dont think its too safe to answer such questions in internet as we cannot check the leg of a child and it can be dangerous to guess arround when it comes to health. but dont worry, its such a normal thing that kids get hurt and are clumsy :) its part of growing up, so dont blame you or worry too much, just bring to doc. Hope and guess he will be fine very soon :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

You should have an urgent care or ER nearby. You should definitely have him checked out.

8. Laks09

Since you are in the US, look for after hours pediatric care places around your area using google. I had just relocates myself when the tv incident happened. Pediatric after care was where I went since I didn't have a pead yet.
    If not just go to an urgent care place. You can even call and get an appointment so you don't have to wait. Almost all of them have x-ray facilities in house.
    BTw, can't you use after care and claim insurance later? That's what I did since I didn't have my ins handy. I'm not sure if you could do that.

9. haritha789

haritha789 Junior IL'ite

Hi all

We took him yesterday to urgent care near by and got x-ray done for his leg. Doc said there is no fracture to his leg. Quite relieved to hear this. But he still has leg pain and fever also added to it from yesterday (temperature is little high like 101.2). Doc suggested to give Tylenol only which I was doing.

Really counting hours to see him normal and be him like jumping, roaming form room to room and climbing. Thanks for hearing my concerns.

1 person likes this.
  10. Laks09

Harita - Glad your son doesn't have a fracture. Hope he is back to normal now. He must be running around and playing now and the fever must be gone completely.