Advice On Having An It Career From Non-it Background

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by abc00, Dec 22, 2017.

1. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

I always have this question if it is possible to have an IT career from a non-IT (finance) background. What are such courses which can be done in a time frame and also non-customer facing. I'm looking for some inputs from people who have successfully established an IT career. I get to hear a lot about QA testing courses...but not sure which one to take up. Please suggest which is more popular and will fetch an entry level job in USA. Do we really need to fake resume in order to go ahead.

2. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

Hello Abc,
    It is possible to have a job ( not sure about the career) for a non IT background candidate in IT field. I'm an example.
    I don't have to sound negative, but I find it as an everyday struggle, I feel its always a ketching up with these fellow smart engineers and these days I feel very stressed out about it too. ( had I been answering this question two years ago, I would have said its a cake walk, but I don't feel that anymore )
    This is that's what you want to do and if its something you want to do, go ahead and do it... just be ready to study rest of your life.

3. JustAnotherMom

Oh forgot to mention, I'm in QA and I did not fake my resume.

4. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Yeah, IT career means be prepared to study for rest of life...

5. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

@nakshatra1 @JustAnotherMom thanks for your inputs. Agreed that we need to be prepared to study for rest of life..but does the financial aspect not give you any satisfaction. On the other hand, I feel that for the low paid hourly jobs don't even give you enough financial independence. So my question is, are you guys justified about the stress for the hourly $$ it pays.

@JustAnotherMom I would like to know which beginner course you took up.

6. JustAnotherMom

I'm not the breadwinner in my family and with all this learning and freaking stress that I'm going through, I don't think I will make enough where my DH can take a break. But yeah, it feels good when I tell someone back in India that I work in " Silicon Valley " as a " Software Engineer". I was a middle bencher in school, consider myself a late bloomer, met few schoolmates after 20 + years and few said, JAM, I never thought you will make it all the way there and that was the only time I felt proud about myself, but sitting here and typing this I'm not sure if that moment worth this struggle. and Sorry again for being negative.

Software Testing and Software QA Training classes in Bay Area - Portnov Computer School took class from here to become a manual QA engineer
    Now taking many classes from Online Courses - Learn Anything, On Your Schedule | Udemy here to become an automaton Engineer

7. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

@JustAnotherMom agreed you are not the primary earning member but it will still add value to your family in every way. Dont think negative. You are good and much much in superior position than anyone else. Be proud of what you have achieved.

Portnov is always overflowing and there;s a long waitlist.

8. JustAnotherMom

Book it for the next batch, its always good to start the class sometime jan or feb.

9. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

I'm not discouraging you .. it was just a comment about how we have to put lot of effort on our own even outside working hours and also, technology changing all the time and always need to be updated with the latest. I get lot of satisfaction from career, beyond the financial independence. It's really nice to see your motivation, I wish you all the best for your future!! (But I will advise don't go for fake resume )

Sandycandy likes this.
  10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Before you make the switch from non IT to IT make sure you are ok with the kind of work involved and would enjoy it.
    I know someone with a math background that is QA testing . You would need a decent amount of understanding of IT concepts and ability to think and work quickly during deadlines.

As for having to read all the time , my non IT job requires me to read quite a bit every week . So that’s the new norm. You cannot afford not updating your skills and knowledge in today’s times.

Also regarding faking resume, I would never ever do that here. Besides being ethically wrong how would you do well at work with no skills. Any time there is a financial crisis the employee that performs poorly gets booted out first . So this will come back to bite you in some way.

Good luck !!

nakshatra1 likes this.