1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Advice From Elder Sisters

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Goahead, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Goahead

Goahead Silver IL'ite

I wish I had an elder sister who would have advised me on relationships with inlaws and husband before my wedding. For eg I wish someone had told me to stay quiet and not say everything bad about inlaws on husbands face all of a sudden . Instead manipulate your words and tell him in a tone that you like them but thats how they behave with you and you get hurt....

I learnt not to say anything after 10 years...i realized that my husband is not my best friend to listen about his mom or sister and will always try to take their side if I say something about them....

today where I stand is : I say nothing to him, i'm trying to gather courage to be able to reply back to my mil directly and tell my husband some of the things in a humorous way ....

BUT I'M NOT HAPPY inside...

my mil still hurts me a lot, my husband is going crazy for his mom and dad as they are getting old...he feels more for them, he wants to do a lot more for them now than what it used to be before...as they are getting old, small little things bothers him like a fever....I go mad inside ....

also his mom has trained him a lot in these years for my sil...she has taught him how to be a good brother and always keep doing for his sister...he is always in some kind of guilt for not doing enough for his sister and always thinking of giving her money or pleasing her in some way...i really get very angry ...but i stay quiet for the peace in my house...if i say a small thing, he is always ready with a sword to fight me and my thoughts for his sister and mother...

I'm wondering for those who have been through this phase of life...does this get better? any advice for me ? what shall i do ?

i'm looking for something like : if someone had told me 10 years ago to be quiet and ot say everything to the husband directly on his face ..if I had someone to tell me that 10 years back, my husband would had a better understanding with me today ....

2. priyajagadeesh

priyajagadeesh Senior IL'ite

I hear you sister, Financial matters are delicate to deal with especially when IL are involved.

The only advice I can give is never ask DH to not give to his family but you make sure to invest for future.. a lot. This will leave him less to spent on everything else. Make sure you have really good retirement fund, life insurance, collage fund, buy home or if you already have one make additional payments towards principle, gold and build emergency fund.

3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Forget or let go n accept the past, don't think about it now, it's not gona help you in anyway, just think of it as a lesson learnt.

If you have tried n your dh can't be controlled in how much he spends for his parents n siblings, the better thing to do is make sure he spends the same amount or more for you, make sure it's smart spending like jewellery, cash, property, investments, make sure you keep them away from his n his parents/ sis's sight n thoughts so it doesn't create any new problems. But make sure to do this every time.

4. zeppelingirl

zeppelingirl Silver IL'ite

Is you SIL financially not good? why does he have that guilt?

5. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I too have done the same mistakes in the past. Forget it

6. DXBDesi

DXBDesi Silver IL'ite

Financially not good is a very gray term.

Who decides if she is or not?

The wife may think the sister is ok, the MIL will say she is really really struggling...

One very common variation of this situation is the MIL will ask for more money and give some to the sibling, here they seem to be more direct

zeppelingirl likes this.
  7. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Who knows. Even if you had kept quiet, you may not have had a good relationship with ur husband.
    Do you live in a joint family.
    Dont give the mil the power ti hurt you

8. Goahead

Goahead Silver IL'ite

thank you so much my indusladies sisters here....

My husband is always pittying his sister , even more than his mom...his mom was a catalyst and now he has just assumed that its his some kind of duty....ofcourse with years her status is changing and they are growing and doing much better but that is the case for all.....where he was 5 years back and where he is today is different ...he just fails to understand that or may be try to ignore it...

but i get angry that he wnt get me a gift for karwachauth while he will never forget any small occasion for his sister...and when she visits omg, its a big burden of me..beacause besides just taking them around, he wants to give him big time cash....he says things or does things for his family that I cant even imagine in dreams....like we have never take a eupore vacation, but he has this crazy idea of taking his parents for such a vacation ....i'm like OMG i dnt even know what to say...

if I say no to everything, its a problem...actually even one no makes him feel that i stop him...

but i have leanrt to bargain and speak up for big things...for small things ( 200- 1000 dollars which is not small though) , i just keep quiet....quiet for the sake of the family , but it does hurt me and i get so angry from inside and i feel that I'm killing myself by being angry all the time or by being sad all the time....

also, the strange problem is that he takes their side all the time..he tries to put their good face in front of me...he tries to tell me how his sister called him when he was sick...well i and our kid were sick the week after and no one called me ...hello ...cant you see what they do..they just try to impress him beacuse they know, he is emotional and will do things like a crazy man for them...but they do not bother if i get sick or our kid is sick...i just wonder how come it doesnt hurt him....

9. Emarald

Emarald Silver IL'ite

Its in every indian marriage. Only wife is supposed to live frugal, work hard, take care of family, earn money, keep smiling face and husband will spend lavishly on his grown up sisters, brothers and their extended families. It happened to me too. Its been 20 years I am seeing and now we don't have any saving left for our retirement. With age our energy and chances of getting good job is low but still I have to struggle to get job so I can save for my retirement and kids college expenses. While his sister is showing off her gold, diamond jewelry to all relatives with pride which came from my saving. My mil and sil taunted many times that my parents didn't give me much gifts or gold like they gave. whatever my in laws gave my sil was from my saving because I was working all these years by leaving my small babies in daycare. They never saw my hard work or never came to help me at all.

zeppelingirl and Sunshine04 like this.
  10. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Dear Op,

All I would suggest

Sail along with the flow, as its of no use sailing opposite.

Ensure u don't shell out ur hard earned money to ur in laws or SIL or others.

Try to use ur Dh money for ur and family day to day needs.

Invest ur 100% salary in savings (if working) else ensure to invest a part of ur Dh salary in investments.

If I would have been in ur place would have got separated from him (after claiming a pretty decent amount of Alimony, let him be with his parents and sister), ten years is too long journey to adjust.

Best wishes...

Sunshine04 likes this.