1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for renting an apartment vs independent house

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by savannas, Apr 15, 2010.

1. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Hi Il in US,
    We stay in an apartment complex that is getting more and more ghetto by the day. Our lease will getting over in summer, and we want to move.. We are clear that we want to rent only ( as opposed to buying) However, we don't know whether we should rent an apartment or an independent house.. Can someone please offer advice about the pros and cons of renting apartment vs renting house ?? All suggestions welcome..

( PS: Our space requirements - minimum - 2 bed 2 bath )

Savitha

2. neerrali

neerrali Senior IL'ite

Hi Savitha,

Both are good options depending upon the area you stay in. you must be having some priorities or preferences whilst looking for a house. While keeping them in mind keep browsing through these rental sites Apartments for Rent & Homes for Rent - Rent.com Apartment Finder, apartmentratings.com, apartmentreview.com and there are many others. also you can keep looking in craigslist where there are a lot of house owners looking to rent their place. if you manage to find one of those it is also very good as you dont have to deal with the leasing office guys and they give you a very good deal too. keep in mind your budget. even we were searching for places and i noticed i could get a house for the same rent as a two bed two bath apartment sometimes from direct owners. so keep looking regularly at these sites and then you can shortlist and visit those places. all the best in your house search :thumbsup

3. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Hi Neeralli,
    Thanks a lot for your quick response.. Those links are very useful..
    I have been having more questions reg this
    I was wondering if there would be any hidden problems in renting a house.. One thing, that I am already worried about is - What if the homeowner needs to put the house for foreclosure suddenly ? I dont know if we can have any method of knowing his financial status wrt the house rt ??
    Also, I want to know if landlords in the US are generally quick to respond regarding maintenance things.. I know, leasing office means we can atleast check the reviews and know what to expect..
    Yeah a house provides privacy, low noise from neighbours and minimises unnecassary interactions with strangers.. but I am also wondering about safety etc.. Was wondering, Neerrali if you had any inputs regarding these ?

Thanks
    Savannas

4. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Savitha, One advice wud be to look into townhouses too. Sometimes a house can work out too expensive even tho the rent may seem similar to apartment . That being the case becoz of additional things as trash,electric and water bills along with heater. I have a few people I know say that.

Townhouses are a good option to look at. It is much better compared to an apartment and slightly cheaper than an independent house.Think about this. Good Luck.

5. neerrali

neerrali Senior IL'ite

Hi savitha,

I agree with chocolate for the townhome option. This is in between an apartment and a single family home. TO be very frank I dont have much idea on the issues which you pointed out. Definitely we need to conisder all these things before renting an apartment from a direct owner..

Good luck:)

6. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Savitha;
    After a few couple of years in apartment living; we are planning to rent a house from direct owner from next month.
    I had/have all the doubts you have. But after thinking and sleeping over it and speaking to the owner; we decided to take this "big step".:)
    All I would say is it all depends on the owner. Maybe next month end I can help you with my personal exp:)
    All the best
    -Nitha

7. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Savitha,

Renting an Apartment:
    Pros:
    1. Maintenance is managed by Leasing Office (Quick response)
    2. Facilities (Pool, Gymn, Play Area, Club House)
    3. Good community esp if you have LO
    4. Utilities may be included in the rent in some places
    5. Yearly Carpet cleaning offered in some places

Cons:
    1. Neighbors up or down your unit..
    2. Space
    3. If Washer/Dryer is not in the unit, it may be inconvenient

Renting a House:
    Pros:
    1. Space
    2. Privacy
    3. Sometimes you can sign more than a year lease too (apartments usually go for a yr or less lease)
    4. Rent may not increase more with subsequent renewal (depends..)
    5. Washer/Dryer included

Cons:
    1. No Community (may feel lonely)
    2. Maintenance - at the mercy of the owner
    3. Owner may decide to sell unit.. based on lease contract you will be given notice..
    4. Utilities may cost more.. as you are not sharing with neighboring units as in apartments
    5. May not have facilities like pool, gymn etc
    6. Usually carpet cleaning is your responsibility

Like Chocolate said, Townhomes are the best of both worlds. But if you have problem climbing up the stairs it may not be ideal. Pregnant ladies, families with little kids, elders with knee problem generally do not prefer Townhomes.

That said, if you are looking into Craigslist, BEWARE of Nigerian Rental Scams. If any offer is too good to be true then it probably is. Stay away from sending money through MoneyGram, Cashiers Check etc..

(I used to pretend to bite the bait and simply enjoy the scammer's emails.. wow the stories they come up with.. hilarious. :rotfl)

HAPPY MOVING! :thumbsup

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  8. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Dear Nitha,
    Thanks for your inputs... Was curious about how your experience has been since your last post.. do write when you find time :)

love
    Savitha

9. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Hi mstrue,
    whoa ! that was detailed- it put a lot of things in perspective for me.. thanks yea ! :)
    Savitha

10. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Savitha, You are :welcome.