Admission into PSBB schools for NRI kids

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by ramyav_cse, Oct 28, 2010.

1. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I will be delivering my first kid next year and am hoping to get info on admission in PSBB schools. Will having a US citizenship affect the admission process?(Parents are indian citizens and we plan to return to india right from Pre.K.G for the kid). Do they have a different fees structure in PSBB for NRI's?
    Your replies will help me big time in deciding on whether to have the delivery here or to get back to India. Call me crazy but Iam very persistent on putting my kid into PSBB group of schools and would even give up a US citizenship if it would be a hinderance for the admission.

2. huchi02

huchi02 New IL'ite

I dont think US citizenship matters, as my sis's daughter is US citizen but she studies in PSBB Bangalore. You might be charged NRI fees, but the child will get into the class as per the age. I can enquire and update if you need.
    All the best.

3. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Thanks Huchi...Appreciate if you could please enquire and let me know the difference in fees. As it is PSBB is one of the most expensive schools in the city and special NRI fees scares me...

4. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Ramya, if you are looking at PSBB in K.K. Nagar, Chennai.. I dont think the fees difference is high.. Also in PSBB Millenium schools in chennai, there was no special NRI charges.. my co-sis and her children returned from abroad (NRI's but Indian citizenship) after 10 yrs and they werent charged anything more than what a localite is paying.. actually the normal fees in PSBB Millenium itself is pretty high for a localite.. BTW, if you are targetting PSBB, K.K.Ngr in chennai.... there are alwasy 50-50 chances.. you will stand a better chance if you are an alumini.. yes NRI quota adds advantage.

I would like to say something - my 2 cents: pls do not decide/ plan your life based on one particular school. Yes, PSBB and its group of schools are good, performing well.. but do not go blind on other equally good schools. Do keep a choice.. shortlist few schools during your next visit - after baby is born.. It is not a good idea to decide on delivery place based on the future school's conditions.. I have been around PSBBians all my life and I tried very hard for my DS's admissions and after a long wait, we did not get thru. I know what a blow it was for us.. I realised it is not a life shaking issue.. if you research there are a handful of good/ even better schools than PSBB in chennai. Trust me, I am not saying this because we didnt get thru.. it was an enlightning for us not to trust / rely on one particular school.. my friends said 'open you eyes and see around, you have much better places for your child's education..' thats when I researched and found better schools in chennai. at this point, do not decide your delivery place for the sake of school.. I am not saying PSBB is not good.. I am only saying it is not the only one.. if you are very particular, get some details from close associates/ relatives in your city in india about top 5 schools in the city.. read the blogs/ forums on parents feedback..

5. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Thanks Arthidiva. I love the teaching methodology in PSBB. My own brother went to that school and I can clearly see how easy it was for my parents to get him to study. They have not one day tried to make him vomit the book. My close friends are also from PSBB and they are all doing very well today. My DH went to PSBB for a couple of yrs before they had to move and hence he had to join yet another matric school in the city.
    DH doesnt want me to go to India for my delivery and so I will go on to deliver here.
    I know I should not be holding this mind block but I think I will be happy to put my kid in any of the PSBB schools over the matric schools in the city. Lets hope for the best.

6. hema801

hema801 New IL'ite

hi arthidiva,

I am looking to admit my kid in PSBB, K.K Nagar. I read that you could not get admission in that school for you child but there are equally good or even better schools in Chennai. Can you please give me the names of those schools? I do not live in Chennai. I am gathering information about the schools from the internet. Thank you in advance.

7. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

hi arthidiva-as you have mentioned can you suggest the other schools which you have researched?my parents live very close to psbb kknagar so i want to make my kid join there but do not want to rely on psbb alone.

8. ARK21

ARK21 New IL'ite

Hi Ramya,
    I am also sailing in the same boat. Me and my hubby areIndian citizens and now in an US assignment. Am going to deliver my first kid.We are planning to settle in India for my kid’s education(after 3 years). Sincemy hubby is an PSBB alumni, he wants to put the kid in PSBB kknagar. But am open to any good shools in chennai. Hope youwould have got admission in PSBB kknagar now. Could you please share whether there is differentfee structure for NRI?

Please let me know, so that we can decide where to have thedelivery (US/India).

9. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Hi ARK21,

My son will be 3 next june(2014). We are still considering options and actually DH n I hv not been able to decide on when to return to india. Once we return, we wl not live in K.K.Nagar and wl most probably hv to hang around at my in-laws in valasaravakkam. We are also considering PSBB Millenium n Pon Vidyashram though Im still for PSBB KKNagar. We should come to a decision by this october and if we decide to go back, we wl try all possible means to put my DS in PSBB KKNagar.

10. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

ARK21, I'd advise you not to decide on the citizenship based on this. One of the best thing we did was deliver DS in the US. When he reaches our age, Im sure he wl thank us for this as he wont hv to stand in that bated US Consulate.