1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Adieu, My Good Friend!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:despite losing third molar you have enough teeth to bite to demonstrate your wisdom. This is depicted in the present OP. YOU HAVE BEEN DOING INCISIVE ANALYSIS gleaming bright. With loss of one more might change smile that could be easily mistaken for a grouchy mood.
    :hello:thanks. during my 4 and 5 th standard I used to sniff and enjoy the aroma of Sambhar of Coimbatore Krishna iyer hotel that was in the corner opp to general stores of textiles near akbar sahib street triplicane where I resided. The air around bus stop for no 13 to T NAGAR near this hotel used to be constantly filled with its sambar aroma. Those who enter the hotel in the morning seen to dip their finger into a box containing sacred ash and apply on their forehead before occupying chair. Some used to joke about some priests who on amavasya day visit this hotel, enjoy onion sambar witb idly and proceed to conduct "tharpanam" .
    REGARDS.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda
    My dear Satchi
    Like ghost busters, I want to be a BP buster. Looks like I am succeeding.
    I know a dentist twin. One is an expert in tooth extraction and the other in implants. They work in tandem and make everyone happy including themselves!
    Wisdom teeth have the unenviable job of creeping in slyly in a little over 99% of the world population. They are in such a remote corner of our oral anatomy that even our brush cannot reach them. I understand that they are trying to sort out this problem with flexible brushes but right now they are facing difficulty in figuring out how to wrench the brush out after brushing.
    Don't worry about it. My mum had not a single tooth left during the last decade of her life. See the toothless old woman crushing betel leaf in this song
    Watch the younf Sridevi in action!
    Sri

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

The dentists these days are hell bent on 'saving' as many teeth as possible to ensure more work for themselves in the future!!! Or they ensure they are replaced by implants. So such toothlessness a rare sight today!

Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.
  4. Cheeniya

@Thyagarajan
    I have great memories of Akbar sahib street. It was the place where I attended my Hindi classes and the man who taught us Hindi rose to become the Principal of Vivekananda College. I used to be his pet student! The annual Shia mattam ceremony would start from Akbar sahib street. My maternal uncle got married to a girl from No.1 Akbar sahib street in the early '50's. My aunt is dead but my uncle is alive aged 101.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

The suspense was truly gripping @Cheeniya sir!
    I was worried as I quickly scanned the article till my eyes rested on the word "tooth". You have no idea how that "tooth" relieved me.

I always wondered on how with just 32 teeth some folks made a living.

Now I am amazed on how with just one tooth, or the lack of it, you could come up with a fantastic article! :thumbsup:

Enjoyed it much sir.

When my wisdom teeth were pulled out I not only had to suffer the injury to my ego of having my "wisdom" taken away but had to bear the "insult" when my hubby was gleeful the entire day because I could not talk.:rage:.

Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.
  6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Enjoyed reading your snippet sir. I initially thought maybe it was a pet you were talking about. My grandma’s smile was beautiful when she lost all her teeth. Pal ponaal sol pochu - but she retained her words. She would have a mortar and pestle nearby to chew peanut candies and it would be a continuous exercise for her gums for half day atleast. As you said for most sweets / chocolates and icecream I do not use my teeth. Let it melt between my tongue and upper jaw. Taking care of teeth is not easy for me as I use that more than my brain.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya
    Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    Again you have proved the comment which I posted on your writer's block's validity. Who else can write such a witty as well as sorrowful post on bidding adieu to a tooth?

Someone has written that nowadays there are too little toothless persons to be seen as people prefer to go for dentures. There was a time only there were Chinese dentists in our country, but Now we can see dentists in every nook and corner of the city.

My better half neglected my advise to go for dentures during his early sixties and now the dentist said as the gum has become very weakit is not strong enough to fix dentures.My niece who has dentures tells she removes it before eating and only use it while going out.
    PS

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

@kkrish
    Dear kk
    I saw this piece in the internet:
    "It is generally thought among linguists that they are called wisdom teeth because they appear so late, at an age when a person matures into adulthood and is “wiser” than when other teeth have erupted. Lately, science has added some credence to the idea that the third molar does indeed erupt when a person is “wiser”.
    I was often called as very immature by seniors during my banking days and in reply, I would grin showing all my teeth including the wisdom teeth. Of course, that never made them withdraw their comment.
    Other teeth make us a glutton but wisdom teeth make us wiser!
    Thanks for the nice words of appreciation.
    Sri

Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.
  9. Cheeniya

@jskls
    Dear jskls
    That's why old age is called second childhood. At both these stages of life, we'll have no teeth and our smile would be most fascinating.
    I do not know which old man was responsible for this saying but certainly not Gandhiji. He gave some memorable speeches only after he lost his teeth!
    Don't worry. You will be very brainy even after all your teeth are lost!
    Sri

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

@PushpavalliSrinivasan
    Dear PS
    All I can say is that you are far too kind. Thank you!
    Most of the Chinese dentists have left. In Chennai, only a couple of them are left and one of them is a very good friend of mine.
    It is a myth PS. If you go by number of dentists per thousand people, it is much less now than in the past. But they are well armored these days with an impressive 'what have you' than ever before. Despite all the modern equipments they have, they cause as much pain as Sushruta!
    Sri

Thyagarajan likes this.