1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Adenoids

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by SaiNiharika, May 10, 2016.

1. SaiNiharika

SaiNiharika Bronze IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    I want to share my problem to you all, if any one has same problems. Please try to help me in this. My son was 2 1/2 years old. from his 18th month he frequently had cold and dry cough and snorring. Every time we are using antibiotics. He diagonised with enlarged adenoids. ENT doctor suggested to remove it and also kept gromets in this both ears. And given antiboitics for 15 days. After that he is ok for 10days. now it is summer season again he started suffering from cold and same symptoms what he had before surgory. one ENT doctor said that he had turbinates again given antibiotics. I am very much worried about this antibiotics. Some one suggesting go for homeo and some one ayurvedic . i am confues which is better to him. Is any Baba Ramdev syrups help ful to him.Please suggest him the best treatment. I am unable to see hi problem daily

2. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@SaiNiharika,
    We had some what similar issue with my DS with frequent cold and cough when he was 4 months. We stopped his daycare and was at home with nanny and I also consulted a homeopathy doc for him and started some medication.
    We had ear tube when he was 1 year old and he was back to daycare, he was okay for first 4 months then the cycle repeated with cold and cough this winter. But during this winter we waited for 2 days before starting antibiotics and were giving him homeopathy. If the fever was not controlled after 2 days (I used to give him Tylenol and Motrin alternately during these days) we started antibiotics. In Feb our ENT suggested another set of tubes & adenoids removed and we have decided to see how he does this summer and continuing with homeopathy. Our primary pediatrician is okay with waiting this summer and see how he does.

Based on my experience this was I have learnt and do.
    1. Most cold & cough are due to virus and antibiotics are not needed (but docs give it as a safe side). I make sure that is at home gets good rest and give him foods that relive cold symptoms, apply vicks etc. This helps in reviling his congestion. If he runs fever I givr him Tylenol and Motrin alternately for 2 days. If fever not reduced after 2 days I consult his pediatrician and go for antibiotics. During this winter form oct-april he had 6 times cold, out of which we used anti-biotics twice as he had high fever above 102.

2. Include lot of veggies and fruits in his diet and make sure he gets good outside play time when weather is good. No cold food, sugary drinks or ice creams. And give him multivitamins and pro-biotics with out any fail.

3. I don't skip his homeopathy course and also keeps my homeo doc updated with emails on his symptoms. We follow homeo in our family since my childhood, so i trust that. Homeo medicine should be prescribed based on personality and full medical history, Consult a good doctor for that. Also it a slow process and will improve immunity slowly so have to used on a long term basis.

All the information above is based on my experience and what i follow for my DS. I not asking you to follow these or go for homeo. Please talk to your ENT or Pediatrician about reducing usage of antibiotics or alternate medicine you would like to try.

Hope this helps.

Vaikuntha likes this.
  3. SaiNiharika

Thanks for reply, I too planned to go for homeo, but some are afraid that homeo will makes body more heat. and it will increase disease first and then start to decrease. Is it True.

4. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

They do say that but I haven't seen that much with my DS. When he has chronic cough and fever, my Doc gave a medicine to use and she did warn me that temp might go high but it did not happen with my DS. You can ask the homeo doctor about these concerns.

What I have observed with him is his Cold symptoms (duration) & frequency are reducing slowly.

5. SaiNiharika

If you are from HYD can you please tell me which homeo clinic is best for kids

6. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

I consulted a Homeo Doc in US for my DS. I am not aware of any doc in Hyd at present, I used to visit Dr Srinivas Reddy in ECIL, 15 years back, but not sure if he is still practicing or retired.

7. SaiNiharika

Thank for the reply, I consulted Sagar homeo at ameerpet Saturday, they started medicens. they said its allergy. Last night also he did not slept well, crying in the mid night due to nose block. No runny nose, not sticky in the nose, even though nose is blocking.we faced lot of sleepless nights. he started mouth breathing again. i am not understanding when good days come for us

8. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

I understand the problem of a sick child.
    I do not think too many antibiotics are the answer.

Here are some tried and tested home remedies.

Start giving him a mixture of Tulsi/ black pepper/ honey

7-8 tulsi leaves, 2-3 peppercorns and few drops of honey- something more or less does not matter. You should grind it without water and make a small ball, or mix in a teaspoon. 2 teaspoons a day will work wonder.

Grind them fresh and give him it cures colds and also builds up immunity. Make it a routine.

Just eating tulsi leaves is good too.

Haldi in milk is good.

Tulsi / dry ginger powder or fresh ginger juice /honey/lemon juice is also very good and if you make a habit of it you will stay away from general allergies of cold and cough.

A concoction of Baba Ramdev called Shwasaari Quath is also very good for chronic colds but is not tasty. It has cured even 6 month old cough of my husband who had done four courses of antibiotics. If the child can take it , excellent.

These are good for everyone. They not only cure, but build immunity also.

For blocked nose, try vicks not directly on his face but on the pillow case and sheet. So he inhales it lightly.

I have brought up my children on these and homeopathy. Same goes for my grandchildren. For allergies homeopathy is better. Ayurveda is good too, but I find there is no uniformity. So unless it it is a very trusted doctor, I would not go to one.

Hope this helps.

Vaikuntha likes this.
  9. SaiNiharika

Thank you for your suggestons shobhamma. I will try your tips. Y have started homeo to my kid can I use Shwasaari Quath also ?

10. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Yes you can, but he may not like the taste and throw out. You might try with honey.
    Boiling tulsi with his milk and water is also beneficial.