Adda Da Hangout!

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by justanothergirl, Dec 1, 2016.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Naari
    Being my life skill student? This is the highest form of compliment. Thank you. :worship2:

I do have, and try my best to maintain, good relationships with friends, coworkers, and family.

I reckon the understanding comes as we grow older. We come to the conclusion that many of other peoples' behaviors and attitudes should be looked upon with some resignation and emotional distance.

After all I am not perfect. So when I expect others to accept me as I am, it is only fair to treat others the same.

In the long run we stop placing expectations on others. We can also call it tolerance for diversity.
    Once we arrive at that mind set, we certainly see improvement in our own sanity and happiness.

I am also a cauldron of some negative emotions such as anger, disgust, intolerance, etc.

So a caution: do not think I am a nice person. I am not. I don't want you to be disappointed when you see my feet have clay.
    I am just a human being. :).

Coming back to life's skills - I follow only one set of rules; I try my best to follow, that is. Posting it here next.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Amica, kaniths, Naari and 2 others like this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

For @Naari and all who are interested.
    My one and only life skill lesson - I constantly aim to get this. I follow the highlighted portion every day. My dad was very stringent on that particular one.

“Class never runs scared.
    It is sure-footed and confident.
    It can handle anything that comes along.
    Class has a sense of humor.
    It knows a good laugh is the best lubricant for oiling the machinery of human relations.

Class never makes excuses.
    It takes its lumps and learns from past mistakes.
    Class knows that good manners are nothing more than a series of small, inconsequential sacrifices.

Class bespeaks an aristocracy that has nothing to do with ancestors or money.
    Some wealthy “blue bloods” have no class, while individuals who are struggling to make ends meet are loaded with it.

Class is real.
    It can’t be faked.

Class never tried to build itself by tearing others down.
    Class is already up and need not strive to look better by making others look worse.

Class can “walk with kings and keep it’s virtue and talk with crowds and keep the common touch.” Everyone is comfortable with the person who has class because that person is comfortable with himself.

If you have class, you’ve got it made.

If you don’t have class, no matter what else you have, it doesn’t make any difference.”

Ann Landers

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    jskls, SunPa, Amica and 5 others like this.
  3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

:worship2::worship2:

Naari and kkrish like this.
  4. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

@kkrish great advice! I can only hope to be classy someday, I guess .. I am saving what you just said for reference.. thank you!

I may be a house / hub to all these sometimes!:pensive: Though I make sure they don't make it their permanent habitat!

kkrish likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Can anyone recommend a good coffee maker (espresso with streamer or frother). preferably with steamer. Mainly to make 1-2 cups of latte once or twice a week. Don't need it to be able to grind the beans.

Also, what is the latest in cutting boards? I see wood, teak, bamboo, plastic and more in amazon. My requirements are only size (11 x 8 inches) and it should not be from Costco. I am so tired of the three-pack coming home from Costco each time I am ready for a new one. I hate that thing. The largest one is useless, and I don't like the other two. Maybe just because they came from Costco and there were no choices. Whatever.. I am in the market for a cutting board (2 to 3) of approx. size 11 x 8. What to look for? I don't need the juice collector and other bells & whistles. Mainly for vegetables; very rare use for meats.

How hard can it be to remember "do not buy me cutting board from Costco"?

6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

But, but, but,... how about this one? It is from Costco and it is the first chopping board I have actually liked. I've tried them all, fancy wooden ones, plastic, glass, you name it. I love the fact that I can chop one set of veggies, move the chopping mat over and start with something different on a new mat. Flexible mats make it easy to transfer contents to pots and pans. It comes with seven but I use only three. One for fruits and veggies, one for bread and cheese, and one for meat. Mats stay hidden within the wooden board so it looks pretty on the island. And the price is unbeatable. You can replace it every year!

Costco-cutting-board.jpg

Viswamitra, kkrish and Rihana like this.
  7. Rihana

: ) How did you have picture handy? I did see that just now in amazon too. Of course a bit costlier there. If you recommend, I will buy it next time it comes in Costco. The ones I get are the three set of the white one. Just seeing that in the Costco shopping stuff coming into the house raises my mercury.. and DH will have that silly grin.. and we both thankful there is no knife included in the cutting board set. : )

The size is bigger 15 x 12. But looks good and mat makes it not like having to store multiple heavy 15 x 12 ones.

ETA: just re-read your post. Mats stay hidden? I am sold. : ) I was imagining them falling like drooping daises in my cabinet if they don't stack against the wall.

8. Gauri03

Google : )

Yes mats stay tucked inside the bamboo frame. Looks like a normal, somewhat fancy wooden chopping board. I really like it!

Rihana likes this.
  9. Rihana

@justanothergirl JAG, can you re-post here making chai in IP? In the cup itself, with tea-bag. No other vessels, no strainer, nothing. That version. It is in that IP thread, but that is too many pages to search. Thx

BTW, I plan to index that IP recipes thread. Soon as I am done cooing over my new 3 qt IP : )

10. Gauri03

Yes. They are growing like weeds. Been harvesting 2-3 lbs a day for the last two weeks. : )

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017