Adda Da Hangout!

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by justanothergirl, Dec 1, 2016.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

One has every right to voice opinions but only as a private individual.
    Not as a representative of an establishment. One has to be extremely careful there.

No work establishment can afford to support personnel whose opinions put their reputation and their other employees' at stake.

If Google let him stay today, tomorrow some other person will write similarly about, say, an ethnic group. Then there would be another person writing about something else. Slowly these opinions can turn into mud slinging under the guise of "give respect to my opinion". There would be no limit to who says negative things about whom. Everything will get out of control.

Also, if the person stayed on in the company, how would others interact with him? How would the company treat him? Could they give him raises that he deserves without being looked upon unfavorably, especially women employees?
    It would turn into a huge problem.

I think they did the right thing removing this person from the company.

Folks need to use discretion voicing opinions in workplaces. I am sure you know about many a person losing his/her job over office parties, because they drink too much and blabber.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Gauri03 and justanothergirl like this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I read the article. and the other one too. Dug a bit more into both.

Mmmm... I'm going to take this news with a pinch of salt.
    I wonder why this company came under investigation. Their popularity, success, (and we know who their CEO is), itself could be their nemesis.

I do not want to say much here. I am sure you get my point.

justanothergirl likes this.
  3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Dude, 2045 is only 28 years away. The ACA and Social Security may be dead, but you won't even be a doddering old cat lady by then.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Mid-60s!! :fearscream: Maybe I'll be one of those ultra-marathoner grannies that people will send forwards about on the Whatsapp equivalent of the 2040s. :sunglasses: In that case, yes, I will surely be around.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  5. sokanasanah

More likely they will be sending eye-rolling forwards about granny going on and on about the total solar eclipse of 2017 and how they don't make 'em like they used to!:buenrollo::lol:

6. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Sometimes stores (Kohls does this) would offer 20% off if you used their card, rather than money or other cards. At that time, it is worth using/carrying such a thing in the purse. Some people who travel a lot also find it useful to get a card that does not charge foreign currency transaction fee, (but instead charge an annual fee). This is for buying gold/diamond/pearls in foreign shops using the credit card. Overall, it is best to carry the least number of cards, if that is possible.

Rihana likes this.
  7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Enjoy this! It might be the last one. If the prez has his way you'll be viewing the next one through radioactive haze. Solar eclipses ain't much fun in nuclear winters. :coldsweat:

8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

"It is not ellipse, but eclipse", explained one child to another while I was in earshot. I chuckled as I recalled our old veep Dan Quayle, a yuge gaff machine.
    Here is an excerpt from ON THE QUAYLE TRAIL
    "the latest Quayle joke. President Bush called the vice president and told him to rush to the epicenter <after an earthquake>. Quayle dispatched himself immediately to Epcot Center at Disney World."

9. sokanasanah

Nah, despite all the bluster, I think cooler heads will prevail. I'm not moving into my bunker just yet.
    The T-in-C is nuts of course. Thin skinned ego Trumps everything, but despite making a big deal of how he "never settles", he's good at settling and declaring victory. The man's a huckster, crazy like a fox, in his own interests. The geography in Korea makes a 21st-century war unthinkable.

If you are concerned about nuclear winters, you might enjoy this proposal by the famous Roger Fisher (Of BATNA fame. I have mentioned his books and the Harvard Negotiation Project on IL in the past). Check out the link for the full article. It is worth reading.

In 1981, Harvard law professor Roger Fisher, director of the Harvard Negotiation Project, published a thought experiment in the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists: what if the codes to launch nuclear war were kept inside the chest-cavity of a young volunteer, and the President would have to hack them out of this young man's chest before he could commence armageddon?

What do you think? Would the T-in-C go for it?:yikes::lol:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Gauri03 likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame