Adda Da Hangout!

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by justanothergirl, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

Nimagey meaning bekkandrey heli.[/QUOTE]
    You speak kannada? I would definitely love to know the meaning of this song.

kkrish likes this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana, I agree on yet feel I on the top it looks harsh but few kids are known to be mean and can really brew trouble with some memes these days.

One of the things I told my kids.. "freedom and power comes with responsibility. You need to use it wisely." And with whatsapp forwards we have always taken a stand that what looks or feels funny to you might be hurting the sentiments or belief of somebody. And sometimes character assasinating someone unintentionally. And about digital footprints. What you think you are sharing with your so called group could be having a wolf in sheep clothing and you never know what gets shared.

And these days a virtual investigation over the net is also part of certain preliminaries to a position.

That they need to think and rethink what they say, comment when it comes to teachers, classmates or professors. being upset with a teacher does not give them the right to to comment or troll one. These need to be nipped when they start.

This is my view.

Amica and justanothergirl like this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Couple of incidents that happened close to home..

Dd's college classmates profile photo from fb was the profile photo of a girl in a reputed England college in rural Tn. One of the classmates in that girl's class happened to be a school classmate of dd and having seen this college classmate with dd alerted her.

Another my close friend's dd was in a whatapp group from college. She thought she was talking to one of her classmate only to realise the group admin had added another number and that was of the classmate's close friend who was not a classmate. Just to say nothing is safe. You need to be cautious even in groups and not sharing anything too personal or selfies would be a start.

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

You speak kannada? I would definitely love to know the meaning of this song.[/QUOTE]
    I speak little Kannada also understand simple conversations. Cannot read or write.
    I could not get the meaning of the song. Will manually translate and post in a few days.

5. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

I speak little Kannada also understand simple conversations. Cannot read or write.
    I could not get the meaning of the song. Will manually translate and post in a few days.[/QUOTE]

Sure. Take your time.

6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

About Harvard rescinding the admissions ...

Having seen the original vile posts, I, too, feel sorry for them.

I feel sorry that these young men and women have grown old enough to drive, to vote, to serve in the military, without having grown up.

I feel sorry that these young adults have grown old enough to be college-bound without learning not to cross the line between humor and hate speech.

I feel sorry that these youngsters felt no empathy for those they offended.

Most of all, I feel sorry that not enough voices are saying that the act of creating such graphics, the act of laughing at these things, the sharing of these "jokes" are not an expression of good values. This has less to do with free speech or injudicious use of social media. It has more to do with maturity and common human decency.

I'm sad that these young people learned nothing from the Class of 2020 and the events of last year (Racially-Charged Messages Spark Controversy in Admitted Students Group Chat).

I'm glad Harvard has made this call. Perhaps rescinding their admission will teach them the lessons that they have failed to learn thus far.

SunPa, momsky, Rihana and 3 others like this.
  7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@Amica Couldnt agree more !

Shanvy and Amica like this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I haven't seen their posts, but my kid described them. They are deplorable, horrible, and everything.

I'll be honest here. Had it been another less coveted college, I'd right away say they deserved the consequences. But Harvard...... Oh my. All the work the kids put in gone poof. Agreed their acts were beyond despicable, and how stupid to do those things in a group linked to a college in any way.

But from the POV of Harvard also, any other action would be ridiculed and not fitting the vile act.

I hope the kids learn a lesson and move on. Wonder where they'll go to college... too late to accept admission from another good college, I think.

Amica likes this.
  9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

An admission and an eventual degree from the likes of Harvard throws open opportunities well beyond the reach of many.
    Which is exactly such a stance had to be taken . The power that comes with such ivy league credentials are best in the hands of those who understand that the first amendment is not a shield to be outrageous offensive and insensitive.

Amica likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I know, I know, I know....... totally agree... but... I guess my "maa ka dil" or rather "desi maa ka dil.." shudders to think of what those kids and families must be going through. I know -- they should have known better. Parents should have taught the kids better...

I am thinking it would not be easy for the person who took the "let's rescind admission" decision also to make that decision.

Whatever ... I feel very sad for the kids. There is so much wrong that happens on campuses, and students get away with so much (like the football players and other athletes getting away rapes, sexual harassment), and we have faculty in places like Berkeley being protected by the university as much as possible even after many women complain.... these kids were just 17, 18 or 19.....

Gazillion years ago.. I messed up on one practical/lab exam in B.E. Deserved a zero or maximum 5/40. I handed in my lab-paper to my prof and the external prof. Viva-voce had gone well earlier. My prof glanced at my experiment readings and asked, 'what happened'. I just shook my head. He said, "You may go. I will take care of it." Gave me minimum needed to pass. (I was a sincere, studious student otherwise! )

Back to the Harvard thing, I didn't search much. Hope the names of the kids were not made public. Losing admission is sufficient consequence.

I hope it does not come across as I am saying they didn't deserve it... Far from it. I was shocked when my kid described it to me. I just wish it hadn't happened......

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Amica and momsky like this.