Activities for kids to engage in summer holidays - April 2012

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by IL_Admin, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angelinaS

angelinaS New IL'ite

Hello,

I suggest to teach kids something other than there subjects as they already burden with studies.. for small kids its all over relaxing but children more than 7-8 have burden of studies, so thet dont have time for their hobbies, so try to give them time for relaxing other than study.

All the post are very gud. really gud

bye

2. sudhachand

sudhachand Senior IL'ite

DIFFERENT WAYS TO SPEND THE HOLIDAYS USEFULLY
    1. Make them help in housecleaning eg they can do vaccum over and above the usual cleaning.
    2.Everyday they can write SRIRAMAJAYAM for sometime.
    3.They can help to put the vegetables in cover and arrange in fridge.
    4.They take the dog for a walk if you have one.
    5.They can help to operate the washing machine.
    6. They can fold small clothes and put them in their shelf.
    By the above I think we can keep them reasonably engaged.

3. busymama

busymama New IL'ite

I would say to spend summer vacations in Vancouver is the best time of the year kids n we can enjoy. I would let my girls do whatever they are not able to enjoy during their busy schedules during school days and after school activities.
    Firstly as the holidays begin, we start the fun by painting my kids faces painted red and white and taking part in the July 1st Canada day Parade.
    I am also thinking on organizing a friends and family fun sports day( as we have a big family here) where the kids and grandparents and uncles and aunties can enjoy the sports and games, dressed in traditional whites( I remember we used to dress like that in my schooldays).
    As both my girls love strawberries, we are going to set out on some berry picking bringing along their favorite buckets and bins.
    And the list doesn't end by saying that we will visit local parks and beaches and let the them say "Mommy I m tired lets go home" :)
    I want my kids to have real life experiences with these activities which is going to boost their confidence and help them to be better people in life.

4. DXBlife

DXBlife New IL'ite

This summer vacation I plan to teach my kids some new things.
    My daughters have started helping me in the kitchen doing small small things. They feel nice when I include them in my cookery sessions :)
    I take them to the playground of our residence complex every morning and spend 2 hours playing shuttle badminton.
    Another activity I am planning for them is to give some chess lessons and start with playing chess.I also would like to send them to swimming classes.
    I have a collection of old devotional and cinema song books, my kids love singing, I am teaching them some selected songs so they can take part in music competitions if any chance comes.
    Everyday I give them one plain paper and a topic, they can write a story, poem or anything related to the topic I give. Both of them tries to be creative and is giving excellent outputs everday and I have filed those papers after correcting mistakes.

5. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Very good thread. Many of you gave me some new ideas.
    But, let the kids be kids for sometime, atleast in summer free from
    heavy homework, strict timings etc. This is one side view.
    On the other side if we keep their minds busy, they can be creative and
    energetic.
    1. I already started teaching Tamil in the winter vacation. I can`t continue during the school days. My daughter is 5.5 and she loves to learn new languages. As there is only one language English taught in school, so I can gear her up in Tamil. She reads little words, but not good at writing. That is the agenda atleast 4 hours in a week.

2. Last 2 years we did not go to any vacation. So I am planning to go to sea world or safari park or zoo. We hope she will enjoy any new place and learn curiously.

3.She is learning tekwondo, so atleast 3 hours per week will go that way.

4.I have to give her intensive practice in carnatic vocal. She is learning Jantai varisai now.

5.She is very much interested in painting. I am thinking of any art classes, but I should not burden her or force her. Let me see how it goes.

6. We two of us or with daddy at the week ends we play our family game
    Chinese checkers. Three of us enjoy our family time together.
    As per some other ILs suggestions, I am thinking of introducing some nice games time dhayam (indian dice) or Trade (In US it is called Monopoly)

7.In school days, she does`t have time to visit the library and enjoy the books. At vacation time, we will surely make the frequent visits.

8.I borrowed one idea from one IL teaching of Thirukkural. When she was a preschooler, I thought her first adhigaram. Whenever she started her preschool all thirukkurals are forgotten. I want to revive the teaching. I love Thirukkural to a great extent, it guided me like anything in my difficult times.If my DD also learns Thirukkural, she will definitely has better personality.

I hope all of the points will work out positively. Only thing is I should have the energy to cope up with her throughout the day.

6. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hi, its a nice and apt contest.

First of all, to say, I dont have any specific plan for my kids holiday activities. My DD is in 10th (SO no holiday for her!!!!! so poor)

My task is to engage my DS who is in 8 years and going to 4th std. Engaging him for a whole day itself is a difficult one. But I have to plan for 45 days.

I am working mom and my MIL will be the sufferer in his hands.

Anyhow, I plan for the following:

First I wont allow him to watch too much of TVs, mobile / computer games.
    2. He is fond of reading books. I bought small books relating to Science, how-to. He asked me to gift him Mahabaratha.
    3. Some play things like cube, building set - which will be cost effective but at the same time creative.
    4. Planning to take him on sundays to my relatives house - who are not at all familiar but close relation to him.
    5. Plan to take him to Anna Library and Birla Planatorium and Egmore Museum. I myself is very eager to see this.
    6. I know abacus teaching. So i plan to teach him basics of abacus.

Others are purely entertainment activities:
    visit to Besant Nagar Beach, seeing a tamil movie in theatre (probably Oru Kal oru kannadi), going to bangalore to visit my sister.....

Not to leave my DD:

My Mother asked me to teach her cooking... but I myself is a beginner!!! so other craft activities like doing ear rings, making small necklaces like that i am planning for her.

andal

7. IL_Admin

IL_Admin Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear IL-ites,

The contest is now closed. Please stay tuned here for winner announcement.

Thank you.

8. IL_Admin

IL_Admin Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear IL-ites,

Thanks for your participation. A special thanks to the judges for helping us to select the best entry!

The Lucky Winner of…

Activities for kids to engage in summer holidays Contest is

Dvl

Congratulations dvl !!

Please find the winning entry here. With the start of vacation, the moms generally become unnerved. Your entry made the difference among all entries! We wish your kid to have a splendid summer vacation at his grandparents place.

IL Special Gift sponsored by Craftsia.com for winning the contest.

Banana Braidplate

braidplate.jpg

Note: Your coupon code to claim the gift from Craftsia coupons will be private messaged to you shortly.

9. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

congrates DVL....

10. Ruchi1

Ruchi1 Junior IL'ite

Congratulations Dvl...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.