Activities for kids to engage in summer holidays - April 2012

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by IL_Admin, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeddyChiku

TeddyChiku Bronze IL'ite

Hi To All Dearest ILs,

My idea is to make the kids busy in some program along with their entertainment, which kids will enjoys to do with their friends and gain knowledge too.

The idea is Kitchen Gardening with Kids:
    Kitchen Garden Program is pleasurable food education for young children. The idea is to introducing this approach that we have a chance to positively influence children’s food choices and help to encourage healthy eating habits. The creation and care of a Kitchen Garden teaches the kids about the natural world, about its beauty and how to care for it, how best to use the resources we have and develop an appreciation of the wide range of possibilities for both the cook and the gardener. There are four major components to the program can be useful in their future life comparison is in ():
    • Growing (grow their own good habits),
    • Harvesting(jobs and handsome salary),
    • Preparing(Competition),
    • Sharing (Team work).

The main advantages of Kitchen Gardening are:
    • They don’t go out in scorching summer for playing.
    • Can make a team of 2-3 kids so they develops co-operative behavior as all work is done as part of a small group.
    • Develops new skills like specific vocabulary to describe some of the textures, tastes and sights that they experience.
    • Encourages physical activity
    • Develops practical understanding of environmental issues such as soil health, water management, seed-saving, organic pest control and the importance of plant diversity
    • Understanding the link between good food choices and optimum health
    • Develops better understanding of the relationship between the garden and the human beings.

Hope this may help others too. Go Green....

2 people like this.
  2. dvl

dvl Silver IL'ite

Hi,

A contest to write about happy moments...I can see the eyes of mommies glittering with ideas & gay :)...What would we not do to make the vacation the most memorable one for our lil ones ?...

My entry goes this way...

One of the best place in the world where my boy would love to go & never say no...a place which I can vouch for & never have a moment of regret for choosing it in the first place...no extra costs...individual attention assured...:)...I would always prefer his grandparents place for all his summer vacations. My child's days would more or less go like this -

- A late sunrise (!)...which could gradually be changed by a coaxing grandfather...with the grandson & grandfather going for a leisurely morning walk
    - A healthy, filling & nutritious breakfast prepared by grandmother (a big no to junk food, noodles and all versions of quick breakfast)
    - Work time - it could be gardening, some crafts work, painting or playing old time games like pallankuzhi or dice...a compulsory "Chess time" (the game to be taught by one of the well playing elders)
    - A heavy lunch time followed by compulsory afternoon nap
    - Evening beverage followed by Outdoor time - either a leisurely walk to a temple or friend"s place or some small time shopping or visit to beach
    - Dinner followed by story time (no English fairy tales or Harry Potter stories - authentic desi stories with all desi flavours :) )
    - This vacation will also be used to teach small slokas, basic yoga, cycling, swimming etc...based on availability of time & coaching.
    But nothing to compromise the time to be spent with grandparents...& getting recharged to face yet another academically tough & competitive year !

Regards
    Vidhya Lakshmi

10 people like this.
  3. angelinaS

angelinaS New IL'ite

Hi TeddyChiku,

I am new to this.. today is my first day and i read your post under this column.
    Its very nice and informative, i think this is gud for kids and every mother has to think alteast once about this idea.

Great work. :) also gud luck for your contest.

Bye,
    AngelinaS

1 person likes this.
  4. kiranavvari

kiranavvari Gold IL'ite

Great Thread!!

This is what I planned for my 7 year old daughter.

So far she doesn't know to read and write her mother tongue though she speaks. Its my desire that she learns to read and write mother tongue. So I told her there is a barbie doll waiting once she finishes her summer holidays only by learning to read and write in mother tongue. It is so exciting to get barbie doll for her that she already started to learn.

This time full summer she is going to spend with her grand parents, sometime with maternal Grand parents and sometime with Paternal grand parents. So its going to be her lovely holidays as she can play all kinds of tantrums which is not possible with her darling mother. :)

She chose to go for Western dance class or Skating or slokas for sometime in the daytime at her grand parent's place. Actually, she wants to do everything that she can think of, but the mommy monster is stopping her :))

She is crazy about art and crafts. She did few drawing, greeting cards, paintings etc already which were lying around in the house. So, I am planning to put them properly kind of scrapbook with all nice decorations. A good learning for her in scrapbooking, as well as her old work is organized, and will be cherished later on.

I hope these will keep her busy enough during the holidays along with little extra dose of TV time.

1 person likes this.
  5. TeddyChiku

TeddyChiku Bronze IL'ite

Hi angelinas,

first of all warm welcome to you!!!

Thanks for your liking my post.

See u soon.

6. ShwetaSri

ShwetaSri Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

Here is my plan for my lil daughter- since she is just 3 years old and doesn't know about a lot of things so
    1-I'll take her to historical monuments and parks of our city
    2-Download all her school book rhymes and stories and spend at least 1-2 hr in watching and learning them.
    3-Spend some time in improving her writing and drawing and coloring skills
    4-She is fond of music and i have a good music school near to my home so i am planning to send her there in morning time.
    5-At least 2 hrs for out door playing activities in evening
    6- if possible i'll try to take her to some hill station for a few days.

1 person likes this.
  7. harina

harina Gold IL'ite

Hi ILites,
    Here are my plans to make the children busy with some or the other things. As my children are grown big and they wont like to do all these kind of stuff that i teach them.This year I planned to bring all the children of our apartment together to learn some craft items with the timings of 2pm to 4 pm giving their mothers a break so that she could take a little nap with her mischievous kids troubling her in the afternoon too.So far i have worked on four days of craft work . For the first day i worked out with GREETING CARDS with the IRIS FOLDING method Topic was HOT AIR BALOON.Second day was GREETING CARD using thread a basic design. Third day went on with FLOWERS with flower loom. Fourth day i showed them how to make GARLAND using satin ribbon. Today is a Sunday and tomorrow planned to work out LANTERN using balloon and thread . Last day will be the QUILLING . I have 11 children and they are so excited with their own work and we are also going to exhibit them in our apartment.I will be also giving a prize for the best work......That is all for this summer.
    thank you......Harina

3 people like this.
  8. jignajani

jignajani New IL'ite

i like your idea, was searching this kind of group.
    it good for kids & even elder 2

9. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

As my little doll is just 3 years old, I cant engage her with any activities. For doing something we have to sit at one place right, this wont be happen with my DD. This girl always wants to wander around the house and she gives very little time at a stretch, like 5 to ten min for her mom, to teach/engage her with something. In the short period of time, I used to teach her Rhymes/Numbers/Colors/Days everything. Sometimes we used to play with crayons/water colors. And she loves to hear stories from me. So I used to narrate lots of moral stories to her. She asks lots and lots of questions from the stories. I tell her answers very patiently. This is the one thing we the moms, can do for these toddler kids. Yes try to give them genuine answers for their questions. Their little mind would be filled with lots of doubts/questions as they explore the things newly. But to answer their questions, we need so much of patience and tolerance. By answering their questions, we can also develop those skills. So whenever they want to know anything, teach them in the way they understand it.

In general, the following are the things coming to my mind for must-in-summerholidays list’. These are applicable for the kids at all ages.

1. Allocate some personal time(one to one) with the kids. It might be at bedtime,evening or noon. Talk with them. Hear their problems and try to find solutions along with them. And teach them how to face any problems in life without losing ourselves.

2. Teach them some house chores like washing, rinsing, grooming, gardening etc. Try to make them to do these things with full interest. They shouldn’t consider them as their duty. So that once they grow up, they would do the house chores without grumbling.

3. Teach them to do their works on their own, be it boy or girl. Like washing their plates after eating, taking bath, wearing shoes, tie, combing hair etc So that once they start schooling, they take care of their selves while you are busy with cooking.

4.’ The empty mind is the residing place of Satan’. So don’t let them be idle for more than half an hour. Teach them to be active all the time. For that, we have to make ourselves active all the time. So be active.

5. Eat healthy food and cook healthy food at your home. So that they also follow them consciously.

6. Don’t let them watch cartoons all the time. Give some specific time for watching television at home. Like 1 hr/2 hr a day. The same rules apply for video games too. I hear many of the moms saying that when the children watching television or playing video games, they never nudge their parents. So they happily let them do those stupid things all the time. But it is very very dangerous to our kids. Never let them watch television more than 2 hrs a day.

7. Involve them in doing crafty works. So their mind and body work at the same time.

8. Allocate some time preferably evenings for their physical activities. This is the must for kids. They can play some hide and seek, cricket,running etc at that time. It would be a good exercise for them.

9. Teach them our ancient- brilliant games like achchangal(games with stones), snack and ladder, thayam(game with dice) etc. These are all such brilliant games which coordinate our body and mind in unison.

10. Get them join in some courses like handwriting classes, music, swimming etc.. Appreciate them promptly for any good thing they do.

11. Conduct some quiz games. Give them time to memorize 5 thirukurals/slogas/10 general knowledge questions etx...After that conduct the quiz program. Reward them with simple prizes. It would be fun learning.

The important thing is, for doing all the above things, our involvement is needed. So try to find them interesting and make your kids involve in everything. We don’t get any such beautiful moments once they grow up. SO make utilize of it and have fun along with your kids.

1 person likes this.
  10. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Iam a working mom of a 3 year old and hence do not get much time during weekdays, will plan all my activities over the weekend.Some of the activities which am thinking to engage are:

1. Teach her basics of the telephone, how to make calls, disconnect calls. Create awareness, by making her know our numbers, and how to make calls for emergency.
    2. Take her to orchards, gardens, get her involved in fruit picking and learn how they are cultivated.
    3. Take her to the zoo to make her learn about animals.
    4. Create a family tree, this is the one am planning to focus on more, as we are staying far away from the family, and with pictures and names, she will get to know everyone.
    5. Make her cut small vegetables, make salad, take her to shop, pick some eatables and give to the nearby food shelter for kids.
    6. I liked viswa sir's idea of the freerice.com, am planning to spend sometime on that daily for 10 mts.
    7. And of course, out door play, she has it for alteast an hour for sure daily, so goes without saying.
    8. Teach her some small slokams and small bhajans, which she generally is interested and know a few already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.