1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

ACIDITY-suggestions pls

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by babyraji, Apr 10, 2008.

1. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

Hi
    One of our relative is been suffering frm acidity .actually he had undergone an operation for appendicites in his teens.n now he is been suffering frm acidity.
    so frnds pls do pour in ur ideas for DO'S and DONT'S in this regard.
    i hav heard tht it cannot b stoopped at once but the food habits hav to b regularised.
    any advices suggestions r welcome.
    Thanks in advance

raji..

Admin Note: Here are relevant links that you may wish to read on acidity

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/nature-cure/19179-natural-remedies-for-acidity.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/n...an-states/181150-home-remedy-for-acidity.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/nature-cure/38787-home-remedies-for-acidity.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...-grandmothers-natural-remedies-paati-kai.html (Search for acidity)
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/nature-cure/84082-easy-home-remedies-please-save.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/pregnancy/14109-how-prevent-heartburn-acidity-problems-5.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/health-issues/51205-acidity.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/h.../128157-natural-remedies-your-spice-rack.html (search for acidity)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
  2. umasridharan

umasridharan Senior IL'ite

Hi Raji
    Definitely the food habits have to be regularised. Make him eat 6 to 7 times a day -- SMALL QUANTITIES. No green chillies or chat masalas, fatty foods like thick milk shakes, ice creams, strong coffee, tea and mainly alcohol and cigars. If he got burning sensation ask him to drink cold milk. just milk. strictly no for hot foods and masala items. No empty stomach especially during night time, no feast also. always keep bananas or apple. best is papaya. if he feels hungry or burning in his stomach any time make him eat these fruits, even during mingnight. No aerated drinks.
    Regards
    uma

3. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

dear raji,

i was a hyper acidic patient 4 years ago....................

one has to avoid

oily foods,
    spicy, masala foods,
    eating late,
    too much stress,
    less tea and coffee.......may be 1 or 2 small cup for a day.........that too with little tea powder or coffee powder.................

i drink 2 to 3 glasses of water as soon as i wake up
    whenever i feel the acidity is aggravating, i drink cold milk.........that is 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup cold water........sip it slowly ............immediately you will feel nice.......
    i am very strict with my diet........because once acidity increases i ll have a tough time that day..........i never skip my meals...........i sleep by 9 or 9.30............even when one is awake for late nights, acids in your system increases....................
    and regular yoga and meditations..........this is my daily routine...............every body metabolism is different, but these tips might be a great help to you.........

love
    padma

4. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Dear baby,
    Even i suffered from acidity related issues and even now once in a while i suffer gastric pains.Just as others suggested

1)Drinking some amt of water in the morning immediately after brushing will help.Drink lots of water .Water will neutralise the acids in the stomach.
    2)Nver keep a long gap between meals/tiffin.
    3)Aviod potatoes,jack fruit

Actually antacid syrups available in the market is of no help.I personally feel this.They are just like sprikling water over fire.Instead we can take some glasses of water.I am not mentioning all products.So check it out.

5. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

After stopping all spicy food , oil and even coconut .. I find that I have got plenty of relief.

I always have a large supply of cold milk at home... never take "dosai milagaipodi'..punjabi food ... all this has given me good relief.

Quick relief can be had from Pepsia-D.. availalble over the counter at most pharamacists.

Cheers
    bhooma

6. daffodil

daffodil Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    I too second on what others have mentioned.

No spicy stuff
    Drink Cold Milk first thing in the morning
    No aerated drinks
    No long gaps between meals
    Limited intake of Caffeine

You could try Mucane Gel for acidity.. Does tend to relieve a little.

7. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

Hi Uma,Padma,Bhargavi,Bhooma and Daffodil,

Thanks for ur immediate responses.well now i hav lot of suggestions frm all of u,will definitely ask him to stop aireated drinks n reduce caffeine in take too.along with less spicy foods.
    Bhooma u mentioned tht one has to reduce coconut n dosai milagai podi.does these affect too?
    will tell abt the sipping of cold milk also.
    this problem is with my relative frm my inlaws side n happens to b my uncle.he is a very gd person n i really felt bad for him when i heard tht these days hes suffering frm acidity.thanks all of u for being a grt help.

Regards
    raji

8. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi ! all fellow sufferers of acidity !

I've been undergoing this torment from 8 years.Changes in food haboits ,just as you have all mentioned has helped a lot,but still it gets bad if I eat out say at a restaurant or attend a dinner party with rich food.When we cannot practise all the rigid rules like at home then all hell will break lose!
    My doctor has prescribed the following medications
    RAZO - D : Rabeprazole Sodium and Domperidone SR capsules

1 capsule on an empty stomach before your morning tea or coffee
    ( wait for 15 minutes before you have your tea/ coffee after the capsule)

1 capsule 1/2 an hour before dinner.

Both doses to be taken with one full glass of water.

Just before bedtime 1 teaspoon of Riflux Forte liquid so that there willbe no reflux problem when you sleep.
    You have to avoid oily,spicy and fried stuuff at night .I have no problem now.

warm regards
    PAULINA:wave

9. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

Hello
    Paulina ,thanks for ur suggestions,well do u think tht this problem will b in control only with limited intake of oil,spicy stuff.nshld one hav to take medicines regularly or will it decrease with the days.
    n friends pls do throw somw light on which fruits n veg r best.some hav said tht banana,papaya n apples r gd.but can the person hav citrus fruits like oranges n grapes.how abt pomogrenate ?
    which veg r gd for intake?does eating chappathis n paratas aggravate the problem?
    friends pls do share some suggestions in this regard.

Thanks in advance
    raji

10. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear babyraji,

Let me share my personal experience.
    I've been tormented by this acidity problem since 18 years.It was all due to drinking too much of coffe...I was a coffee addict !! At first I used to chew antacids like Gelusil and then it would be Ok.I did cut down on my coffee intake but the problem used to bother me more at night.Then I changed my dinner habits from chappathi or dosai to iddlis and oats with apple or pappaya.It helped but it did not leave me .Now after starting this medical regime with cutting down on oil and spicy food .I am fine. I find apple and cold milk are really soothing.
    Sometimes when you have erratic hours and under stress this problem gets aggravated.The medicines are helping me.
    warm regards
    PAULINA:wave